Amsterdam and south scenic drive

Mar 30th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam and south scenic drive

We will be driving to Amsterdam from Essen, Germany and spending a couple of days there. We will park the car in Amsterdam and walk or take public transportation around the city. But on the way back to Essen I was thinking it might be nice to see a little of the countryside, maybe a windmill or some kind of scenery, get out of the cities a little as we will be spending a lot of time in Berlin and Paris. Any suggestions of a driving route or a village to visit on the way? It will be early October if that influences anything.

Thanks for your help.
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM

?anyone?
Mar 30th, 2007, 01:47 PM

The best thing to do with a car in Amsterdam is drive out in the Dutch countryside. Zaanse Schans is a good scene. Get the Michelin Green Guide Netherlands for ideas to suit your preferences. Time of year and day of the week are critical for Holland sight seeing. What are your dates?

OTOH, driving from Essen to park a car in Amsterdam is a waste. You can hardly use a car in either city. Take the train between Essen and Amsterdam.

Mar 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM

I'm guessing you're not going to be there when the tulips are blooming....

Having been there umpteen times on business, for the weekend I just stayed on the smaller roads. Arnhem is nice. Part of the 1990 Van Gogh exhibit was presented there, and the museum is in the middle of a national park.

The country is relatively small, especially south of Amsterdam. I would just go wander for a day or two, take a book and eat at a local restaurant (preferably near a river) and watch the world go by. It's a very calming effect.

Eindhoven is nice. You can visit the cheesy cities, Edam and Gouda. Just get a good map of the area and plot out the two lane backroads.
Mar 30th, 2007, 01:58 PM

You will be going very close to the Hoge Veluwe National Park to get to and from Essen. You could visit that, use the free white bikes to get around by the Kroller Muller musem. There is an Open Air museum near Arnhem which is good too. It is a lovely drive - you go nearly past my door!
I would suggest you take the A1 out of Amsterdam then follow the signs to Hoge Veluwe form the motorway, and then head down to Arnhem. You don't say how long you want to take over the reurn trip but the above suggestion will take you a day and have you back in Essen in the evening. Early October we should be getting the start of the Autumn colour so it should be lovely.
No windmills on the way that I can think of on that route - if you really want a windmill I can make another suggestion - though most windmills are not open during the week, if they are open at all.
Mar 31st, 2007, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Hopscotch, we will be in Amsterdam around October 8th and 9th, a Monday and Tuesday. I guess I'm thinking I will get a good map of the Netherlands from Barnes and Nobles and get a better idea from there.

As far as taking the train, I have thought of that. We will be staying in Essen for about a week in our exchange student's apartment and visiting friends in the area. They said they would drive us around, but there will be four of us and I don't want to inconvenience anyone, hence the car. And since we have a car I really don't want to spend the money for four us to buy train tickets. And since we have the car ... thought a scenic drive might be nice, get off the expressways a little.

Rastaguytoday, Thanks for the heads up about the national park. I will try to work that in. The "cheesy cities" sound fun too.

Hetismij, I'm going to do a google for that National Park. The drive you suggested sounds like just what I was looking for. We'll leave Amsterdam late morning and get back to Essen by late evening hopefully. I guess I can get by without the windmills ...

Thanks again for all your suggestions. More googling, planning and map buying. I love it all!
Mar 31st, 2007, 06:49 PM

Driving Essen to Amsterdam will eat up part of three hours. For scenery I would drive south to Koblenz along the Rhein, then east along the Mosel to Trier. In early October you should see a rainbow of colors in the forests. Grape harvesting should also be in full swing. Spend a night in Trier and enjoy some local world renowned wine. Then head west to Luxembourg or straight north toward Maastricht (another good overnight selection) and on to Amsterdam. Holland is rather flat and uneventful except for the crazy drivers. Give swag.

Apr 1st, 2007, 04:33 AM

If you're coming into Amsterdam on the A-1, just east of the city, you can stop in Muiden and tour Muiderslot, which is a 13th century castle complete with a moat.

They have a guided tour, which, unfortunaely for us, was in Dutch. They did, however, have a brochure in English so you can still follow along, somewhat.

Muiden is a lovely little harbour town with several boats docked, so if going there be sure to stroll along the little harbour.

Peace, Robyn >-
Apr 1st, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Hopscotch, we actually have some time planned for the middle Rhein area. We are going to Koblenz, renting bikes and stopping overnight in Boppard and Oberwesel in a castle, then taking the boat back. I'm really looking forward to that part of our trip, but that will be in the week prior.

While we're in Essen we will take a visit to Cologne and maybe Dusseldorf or just spend time with our friends and let them make some suggestions for a couple of days, a more relaxing time hopefully, catch up on our laundry and leave a little flexibility there. (That's hard for me ... I'm the planner

Artstuff, I will check out Muiden and Muiderslot. It sound like something we'd really enjoy, something peaceful after the city.

Thanks for your suggestions.