Search

Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam

I am arriving at Amsterdam at 7:20am and leaving for Toronto at 6.20pm the same day. I would appreciate if someone can suggests how to utilize about 8 hours at Amsterdam. I would like to know the name of places to visit.
thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Nobody has responded yet probably because this question comes up all the time and has been answered many times galore. Use the "Search the Forums" box above for Amsterdam and you'll get volumes of information from previous questions on Amsterdam. Furthermore your inquiry is too general. There are literally hundreds of places to visit. What are you looking for? It also helps if you give the date and day of the week for your visit.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

I am arriving in Amsterdam from Athens on Saturday,June 6.Is there any bus service from the airport that take tourists to tourist attractions?
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM

I would suggest yuo get the train into the city, have breakfast, then take a canal boat ride to see a lot of the city, maybe visit a museum or two if you are into that - Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum are next to each other, or the Anne Frank house, buy tickets in advance to avoid queues. The museums are open at 10 so you could do them before the boat trip if you prefer - or get the museum boat which will drop you off by them and then get it back again afterwards. Find somewhere to eat - the van Gogh museum has a nice cafe but there are loads of other places of course.

Or just have a gentle wander around the city taking in the sights and smells. Remember a coffeeshop sells dope not coffee.

Then head back to the station mid afternoon to get you back to Schiphol in time to go through passport control and security. Make sure you are back at Schiphol in plenty of time to get your plane - you should be there at least 90 minutes before your departure is due.

Have a look at www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting and http://www.amsterdam.info/ for more ideas.

Coming from Greece you will have Euro coins for the ticket machine at the station. have a look at www.NS.nl for details of trains and how the machines work. There is an English section.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I'm not sure you will have time for a museum but I would also suggest heading into downtown and taking a boat tour. There are several boat tours but they all cover the same areas so I don't think one company stands out above the others. Any extra time would be good for taking a walk in the city center.

Since it's an international flight you need to be back at the airport early, there is a branch of the Rijksmuseum at Schipol. Hopefully you will have some time for that.