Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

AMS- Heinekin Brewery Tour- fun or cheesy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this be something a 55 year old lady might enjoy? We'll be in Amsterdam for 2 1/2 days.. So far I've got:
Canal Tour
Anne Frank House
and of course, just walking around and enjoying the city. Neither one of us are museum fans (*gasp*) However, should we tire of walking around and soaking it all in, I want to have some back-up ideas.
We def. enjoy markets and such... I've also thought about a day or afternoon trip to Haarlem or Delft- any preference?
I read about a cheese market (Alkmaar)- thoughts? I luuuv cheese

Thanks for your ideas!
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:34 AM
amaclise

I LOVED the Heinekin brewery tour. I went years ago and it remains one of the highlights of all my travels. You learn a lot about the history of the city, and how the beer is made and how it has been marketed over the centuries. At the end there is a cafe area where you can drink gratis and talk with fellow travelers.

I would also check out a flea market if you can find one. The flower market is good too.

I took a side trip to The Hague but that's because I am a huge Vemeer fan. If you do go to a museum skip the Van Gogh, his masterpieces are mostly elsewhere.

Old May 7th, 2006, 05:59 AM

I still remember the good ole days when you actually toured the real brewery! We spent a good two hours in the hospitality room afterwards. I had the same experience in the Carlsberg brewery in Copenhagen back in the 80's.

Does anyone know of any Euro breweries that still take you through the actual brewery, not a multi-media advertising display?
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Just did some research- Alkmaar cheese market is only on Fridays- bummer. Any other "cheesy" markets?? LOL! Edam, maybe?
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:34 AM
ira

Hi TX,

There are cheese markets in Gouda and Edam.

Old May 7th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Count me another not-a-museum-person, but one rainy day I ended up going to Tropenmuseum (the Museum of the Tropics) which was a very strange and interesting place.

Vondelpark is lovely and has a small cafe where you can sit at tables and chairs on a patio.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira. Do you prefer one over the other? Is one town more interesting than the other?
I think I'll put the brewery tour on the "Maybe, if time" list. Is it walkable from the Museum District?