Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

American's use of a crossbar on the numeral 7, an affectation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:32 PM
Richard

Slow day here, just received a postcard from German friends and noticed in our street address 1704, zip code with two 7's, no crossbar was used. Most European "1"s are drawn with a swoop up and a downward slash. Most Americans use just a downward slash. I can understand the European use of the crossbar to denote a "7" from a "1", but is it needed here?

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:37 PM
Jane

I have a habit of putting a crossbar through the letter Z when printing. When I was a kid, (1950's). they taught us to do this and I believe it was to differentiate Z from S - somehow scientific/international notation figured into it. I don't really remember. But I still do it out of habit. I vaguely remember the number 7 having the same rule.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:45 PM
SharonM

Hi Richard, <BR>Actually, I think I'm about the only American I know that uses the cross bar on my 7's. I've been doing it for years and mostly, I thinks it's force of habit for me more than anything. When I lived in Mexico when I was 10-12yrs old I learned to cross my sevens and have since continued to do so. And of course, in Europe I found it vital to differentiate between 7s and 1s, as you mentioned (even though my 1s don't look like 7s) <BR>Another thing I tend to do is cross my zeros to differentiate between a zero and an "O".

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:47 PM
SharonM

Jane, <BR>I think it is to differentiate between a 2 and a Z, actually.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:49 PM
Jane

Sharon - you're right. You jogged my memory.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:51 PM
Caitlin

I, too, cross my z and 7; not sure where that came from actually, but it's definitely force of habit now, and if I don't do it, they look naked to me and I feel a compulsion (not that others' uncrossed ones look naked to me). I agree with SharonM, though, that it's pretty rare among Americans. So yeah, I'm probably guilty of an affectation.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 12:58 PM
Brian in Atlanta

Crossing z's so they don't look like 2's was necessary when doing algebra.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 05:05 PM

I cross my Zs too. I somewhere picked up the habit of dating thing day/month/year, but I write out the month. I don't know where I got that one.

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 09:26 PM
Holly

*** <BR> <BR>I do that, too. Got it from my grandfather.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 07:16 AM
Dave

Some do it bacuase they were taught that way. Some do it makes them feel chic, cultured, and superior. I think it is unnecessary in the US where a "one" is a slash, not like an unfinished A. <BR> <BR>Having said this, I will now put on my armor for the verbal arrows which I expect will follow.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 08:14 AM
Ed

As a beginning computer programmer nearly 40 years ago I had to cross-bar sevens, slash zeroes and put a dash in the center of ohs. I still do many of those, subconsciously, though no one has been keypunching anything from my writing for years. Old habits are hard to break. <BR> <BR>The most common of those I do is the cross-bar on the seven since I've spent a lot of time in Europe where it's useful to make your handwriting easier to read for Europeans. <BR> <BR>Old habits are hard to break. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 03:54 PM
james wyatt

It is incorrect to cross either a 7 or a Z - take this message as proof!!

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 04:13 PM

I cross 7's occasionally. I think I learned it from my high school French teacher, who most likely did it as an affectation. I was so excited about learning a language at the time; I planned to learn a new language every two years for the rest of my life (unfortunately that plan fell through). I think I kept it up in college, especially in language classes, but then it became a habit. I liked the "feel" of it --very old-fashioned, and made me think thoughts of faraway places and past times and intersting cultures. I used to do it more times than not; now I do it rarely. But even though I make plain 1's, I think it can't hurt to be extra clear -- a little prissy maybe, but at least it's super-clear. I try NOT to do it too often, because I do think it comes across as an affectation. (If I didn't do it myself, I'd probably be quick to assume that those who cross 7's are phoney poseurs!)

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 03:09 AM
Gordon R

The use of crossbars on the number 7 has become standard across the scientific and engineering community, at least in Europe. In our line of business, we cannot afford a number to be misinterpreted when communicating with colleagues in other countries. You can usually spot a scientist or engineer in the UK by his/her use of crossed sevens. The rest of the population here wouldn't do this. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 04:14 AM
Angela

I cross my sevens , not sure where I got it from but I have always done it, never my "Z" though. My degree was in Nursing - I'm not really a scientist or engineer. No one else I know does this so it is a little strange as to why I have always done it! <BR>Angela

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 11:10 AM
Dona

I also cross my 7's and z's. When I was in college and writing computer programs, we had to use them to differentiate them from 1's and s's... <BR> <BR>M

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 11:27 AM
Becca

I cross my sevens and z's too. I also use a cross bar in my q's. I picked up on the seven and the z when i was an exchange student to Europe, but I don't know why I cross my q's!

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 11:48 AM
Daphna

I have always crossed my 7's. I grew up in Israel, and now here in the US, I wish that it would catch on, it would solve the handwriting mystery just a bit!

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 04:30 PM
harzer

I cross my eyes and dot my tees. No, just kidding. <BR> <BR>I have noticed that Europeans usually interpret our 1 as a capital letter I or even a forward slash, and so getting them to get your address right when handwriting the envelope is quite a challenge. My street number is 418, but it turns out looking like Unit 4 at No. 8, which is not helpful.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 06:16 PM
Caitlin

"It is incorrect to cross either a 7 or a Z - take this message as proof!!" <BR> <BR>Hmm--great job proving your case, there, sir. <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -