American tourists

Search

American tourists

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American tourists

How do the Italian people feel about American tourists during this time?
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 03:48 PM
cmt

I don't think there are too many Italians who post on Fodors and who can tell you how "the Italian people feel." From my experiences as an American traveling in Italy recently (this past Sept.-Oct. 2003, the previous November 2002, and the previous Feb.-March 2002), it certainly seemed like the Italians liked American tourists very much, or at least they acted like they liked me. The exception, though, was in Stresa, where it appeared that the people in the tourist industry disliked all humans, Americans included.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 03:55 PM

That's interesting, CMT. What happened to you in Stresa to give you that impression?
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 03:56 PM

In most countries I have found that the American tourist is liked, they will then say that they don't like the American government.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

That is my impression too-Garfield-I have family that lives in Munich and they said the same, it's the government, specifically Bush, that they are not fond of. The American tourist is welcome. I was just curious how recent American tourists felt when they were there. In 2001 when I was there they were very welcoming and kind.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 04:44 PM

It seems to me that people like people who like other people. Although, wherever you go there are people who just don't like life. These folks won't like you because your an American or that you aren't an American or your wearing jeans with white sneakers. Why would you care if they don't like you?
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

It isn't that I care if they "like" me I just want to make sure I am not putting my family into a hostile environment or a dangerous one.....I have been in places that I felt threatened because I was an American and try to avoid that
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 10:25 PM

I never felt any anti-American feelings in Italy and I would think they would welcome American tourists at any time. It would be unwise for them to feel otherwise as many Americans visit Italy.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:14 AM
JonJon

Since a lot of Europeans are wearing jeans and sneakers I doubt that's really much of an "issue" except for some unknowledgeable people who post here. People who depend on the hospitality industry for their livelihood are generally favorable to foreign tourists and should be even more so now that the dollar is worth so much less.
If you are really that concerned about the reception that both you AND your money will receive in Italy I suggest you consider spending your time and money in Texas instead!

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:31 AM
AR

Absolutely agree JonJon. Here in the UK we have seen our tourist industry shot to pieces after BSE and foot and mouth. Now that SARS has reappeared in the far east and the US is making it very unwelcome to visit, we hope to have more visitors this year and would welcome every one of them, as would Italy, France, Spain etc.
I can't help feeling that the US is shooting itself in the foot at a time that tourists are needed back and the dollar makes it an attractive place to visit. I have booked a long weekend in Washington DC next month. I actually booked in November but would certainly have chosen another country if I were booking now due to stringent entry requirements and demands for air marshals, even though Dulles security can't stop a man loaded with bullets from stepping on the same flight that I'll be using!.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:00 AM

AR...

"even though Dulles security can't stop a man loaded with bullets from stepping on the same flight that I'll be using!"

it is our fervent hope that british security will handle this possibility at your end of the pond.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:33 AM
AR

Eh Subcon? The British security DID handle this - or wasn't that reported in the US? Quite an embarrasment all round this week? One day a man is stopped in London after boarding in Dulles where nobody noticed that he had almost 50 bullets on him. Some security eh? Then an American Airlines pilot is arrested in Brazil after making an obscene finger sign to his security photographer.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:57 AM

AR...

no, i didn't know about this. if it did occur which i have no reason to doubt you, then absolutely there is plenty of embarrassment to go around including mine.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:21 AM
AR

It made the headlines here. Try http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3401823.stm
It seems that my trip to DC is doomed as I was going to book with BA on their 15:05 flight. This was the one that was grounded for 3 days as the US authorities wouldn't let it in the country. The Virgin flight I've booked has seen the man with bullets and before that the pilot was arrested for being drunk! Shall I stay at home??
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:43 AM

All this stuff about "liking" is a bit weird, no?

In Italy, you, as a US tourist, mainly meet people working in, and henceforth living from, the tourist industry. They want a good financial result of their work at the end of the season, clearly measurable in money. The fact if the money comes from germans, americans or japanese doesn't change anything to the total.

Some of the important features for people working in the tourist industry are politeness and helpfullness. This must be their basic professionnal attitude if they want to be successful in their business, be it towards americans, senegalese or argentinians.
Maybe they have more sympathy towards americans because they tip like crazy, who knows...

Now, how do the Italian people feel about American tourists during this time? What Italian people do you meet when in Italy? Only those working in the tourist industry?
Even me, after quite some years of searching, only now start to pass my holidays where there are only Italian people on holiday, those who have nothing to do with the tourist industry. Their opinion? Tourism is an essential industry for Italy, and we welcome everyone who wants to come and spend, the more the better, his money over here, be it a belgian, a canadian or a australian. And some add "as long as he behaves well".

But now, to answer to the induced part of your question, a lot of people are wondering about your government, about its ethics, its humanity, its openness to peace, its sense for cooperation with the 3rd world, or what is left of it.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:48 AM

AR: It's still not a good thing but I read that he had 5 bullets in his coat pocket? Regards, Walter
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:58 AM
AR

Hi Walter. The British press have never knowingly undersold a good story!
Just out of curiosity, what is the American press' take on the sky-marshalls row with the UK? Has the tourist industry recoved in the US? Will the passport/immigration tightening affect it?
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:58 AM
cmt

Baldrick:

Except when I'm buying train tickets, dealing with hotel staff, or visiting museums and monuments, many of the Italians I meet are people NOT connected with the tourist industry. Portions of several of the Italian trips I've taken have been in areas of the south and Sicily where there are rarely any tourists and even more rarely any American tourists, and I've also spent time with local friends in places in the north where I was a novelty as a foreign tourist. Occasionally people have enegaged me in discussions about the US and its political role in the world. They've expressed some pretty negative opinions, but they didn't seem to carry over at all to their attitudes toward American people in general or me in particular.

My relatively rare unpleasant experiences have been with people who were functioning in their tourism-related jobs, e.g., in Stresa, where I just did very typical tourist things.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:17 AM

CMT, then I presume you speak the language, which enables you to really meet people, establish a conversation with them.
What is the percentage of US tourists mastering enough italian for an everyday discussion on Bush politics? 0.002%? And you shouldn't call buying a train ticket meeting someone.
I'm glad to read we agree on the negative impressions, they are a fact, and sorry to hear about your unpleasant experiences doing "very typical tourists things", whatever that may be.

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:34 AM

In my experience as an american resident in a series of countries - I have to admit that the american tourist is viewed by many as a tolerated nuisance - but I would say no more than any other foreign tourist is perceived as a nuisance.
Our government and its actions has been questioned by the citizens of virtually every european country I have ever lived in during a whole series of unrelated events over several years. It does not seem to be our international relations that make so many squirm at the sight of us - it is very often our behavior as individuals From the newcomer who was not expecting to find coke without ice, to the frustrated 3 week world tour tripper who is understandably hassled to the self-aggrandizing 'well seasoned' traveler who floats - he feels - effortlessly and without notice, through what he sincerely believes to be an 'authentic' restaurant or district 'experience'. We as americans take our travel seriously, but we also do so arrogantly, regardless of the level we perceive ourselves to be operating on.
This is not to say that we are a nation of horrible tourists - every country has their laughable sort - the over zealous japanese, the comically dressed bumbling germans, the track suit clad brits ....
This is to say that we are no worse than any other nation of tourists - but we - as do they - have our own stereotype that we unfortunately only too often live up to. We alone as individuals control our travel experience - how people feel about you and how you are perceived by strangers has everything to do with how you conduct yourself. You will be perceived in the manner that you choose to be perceived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -