Reload this Page >

American tourist attire

Search

American tourist attire

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 05:54 PM
clairobscur

American tourist attire

There are a lot of posts about the proper attire when visiting europe. However I'm clueless about most of the items people refers to in their posts. What are capri pants, snickers, tanktops, fanny packs? I haven't the slightest idea. <BR> <BR>So, could someone give me a link to an online catalogue or something equivalent where I could see the pictures and names of such items?

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:09 PM
fashion

Capri pants are those that end somewhere between your knee and ankle. http://www.gap.com/asp/product.asp?w...1&FROM=sidenav <BR> <BR>Snickers is a candy bar. http://www.snickers.com/ <BR> <BR>Tanktops are t-shirts that have straps over the shoulder instead of sleeves. http://www.gap.com/asp/product.asp?w...6&FROM=sidenav <BR> <BR>Fanny packs are zippered pouches that people wear around their waist. http://www.survival-gear.com/Fannypack.htm

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:20 PM
Oaktown Traveler

I have NEVER ever done what I am about to do...You are a (drumroll please)TROLL, TROLL, TROLL, TROLL and did I say TROLL? <BR> <BR>Whew, now I am a REAL Fodorite...no pin needed! <BR> <BR>Save My Posting Soul <BR> <BR>Oaktown

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:24 PM
xxx

Mrs. Oaktown, You are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Did I say WRONG? <BR>Clair is a frequent and respected poster residing in France.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:31 PM
Mel

Claire: I'm going to take a shot and guess that "snickers" is actually "sneakers." If that's the case, they are also called Running Shoes, Tennis Shoes. etc. Think "Nikes." Think all the posts about Americans giving themselves away by wearing "white tennis shoes" when traveling abroad. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 09:49 PM
elvira

Capri pants: think Audrey Hepburn in her gamine days, or Mary Tyler Moore in the Dick Van Dyke Show. <BR> <BR>Sneakers: a whole bunch of shoes with that name. Originally, those little white canvas shoes (Keds) worn with poodle skirts and (gasp) capri pants in the fifties. Usually worn with little white anklets. Then there are the hightops which were worn by basketball players like Bob Cousy and John Havlicek of the Boston Celtics (with an S sound, not a K sound). Now it refers to any of the over-priced athletic shoes made by Nike, Reebok, etc. and worn by non-athletes and athletes alike. YOU pay $150 for yours, Kobe Bryant gets his for free (go figure). <BR>Fanny pack: I think they evolved from military issue to nylon versions for hikers and long-distance runners. Then the joggers and walkers adopted them; now Americans wear them for shopping, touring and any other time they want their hands free. They strap around the waist and often resemble fibrous growths. We even make them to accommodate handguns. <BR>Tank tops: I think the name comes from tank suits, those Speedo swimsuits that competition women swimmers wear. Picture the tops of the suits worn by women Olympic swimmers for the shape. Or men's A-style undershirts.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 09:52 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Dear XXX: <BR> <BR>Ugggghhhh! So, since I was wrong, do I now NEED to get that pin to be a real Fodorite???? <BR> <BR>No wonder I NEVER called a poster a TROLL(frown,pout!) <BR> <BR>CLAIR: My sincere and deep apologies for my awful behavior. I am the "Travel Fashion Maven" but KNOW that my help on this thread has been enough...OMG. <BR> <BR>Happy Travels, A Very Embarassed <BR> <BR>Oaktown

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 02:45 PM
clairobscur

Thanks for your responses (and yes, indeed I meant "sneakers"). I visited the site and I was totally wrong about what I thought tank tops and fanny packs could be. <BR> <BR>Now, after reading another post, I'm going to search what "blouses" (the word exist in french, but I'm quite sure it doesn't refer to the same item) and "snacks" are... <BR> <BR>By the way, at first glance, I'd tend to think that questions like "are a tank top+ capris OK to go to a restaurant"? makes few sense. From what I saw,I would say it depends heavily on the kind of capris and tank tops. There seems to be wide variations between two of them and it seems to me that some would be weird for dinner in any place while others would be perfectly OK everywhere except in a few upscale places. <BR> <BR>And don't worry, Oaktown, I don't mind...

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Christina

I always have trouble trying to figure out correct words in French for sweater, vest and jacket. I think blouse = chemisier and snack = casse-croute. I think I've seen the word blouse in French used loosely to mean the same thing, but also a doctor's jacket? You are very right I think in that there could be very stylish, dressy tank tops and capris but I know that's not what people mean when they ask, they want to wear daytime sporty casual clothes that they've been wearing all day sightseeing, I think. I do have several silk tank tops (both woven silk and silk knit) that I do wear to nice restaurants, the opera or ballet, etc, with silk pants or a skirt of some kind.