Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American to Londoners

You're in our thoughts. Tony Blair said it all about your resolve. Robert
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:18 AM

To all Londoners,

A terror attack on your city is almost the same to me as one in our country! I am very angry and saddened for those who were hurt or killed.

We will be visiting your city for the first time in early August for a few days and I can't wait to see it. I know you won't let this get you down. Hopefully it will make you stronger.

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:20 AM

We are saddened--not surprised--but saddened nevetheless.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Ditto to above. My resolve to visit London has only increased - been there 35 straight years, aiming for 36. The UK and US - indeilible bond in times of trouble even though very different takes on some things. Yes it's like an attack on US much like 911 was on Europe also.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Let us not forget that every day people get killed in Iraq by kamikaze car bombs, my thoughts go to all the victims of terrorism not only Americans and Europeans
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:29 AM

I was very saddened and horrified to hear about the events that have just occurred in London. I am leaving for London on Monday. In the meantime, my heartfelt good wishes and prayers...
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:26 PM

(I originally wanted to post this belated message to the first Fodor thread about the bombings, but the whole thread disappeared... must have been taken down because of some of the sentiments expressed, I guess. But that's a real shame -- there were so many expressions of support there, for London as a whole and the Fodorite community especially. But HAH, I saved a copy of my message! So here goes):

I've been wanting to add a note to this thread all day, but was caught in the daily trivia of work and meetings appointments and life. I'm so sad for those who expected to have that kind of day too, and who, as chance would have it, were instead on a tube train or bus in London this morning.

London was my home, the place where I grew up and went to school. We visit often, and nothing will change that.

I guess the perpetrators of these acts just don't understand the spirit and resilience that ordinary people summon in times of adversity. These horrors seem doubly sad and poignant coming on the heels of yesterday's celebrations about the 2012 Olympics.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected... Stay safe. Blessings and peace to all.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:01 PM

Yes, I'm with pixypixy!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:08 PM

I speak not only for myself when I say that as Britain stood with us after 9/11, we as a nation will stand behind you in your time of trial.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:27 PM
lyb

I will never understand why when we express our sadness at such a horrible attack in one part of the world, some people seem to deem it necessary to tell everyone that other parts of the world are also being bombed....WE KNOW!!! Does it make Thursday less awful, should we not care because other parts of the world are being bombed?

Okay...we are all sad about EVERY place that's being bombed....we'll start a thread on it every day....will that make Pixy and peteralan happy? or would they only be happy if none of us expressed our sad about what happened today in London?

Today was horrible and innocent people going about their business were killed for no reason at all!

I am saddened for their friends and families who will miss them for the rest of their lives and no July 7th will be ever be a truly happy day for them.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 10:00 PM

Dear London,

You are my favorite city in the world, with beauty, history and hospitality to your credit.

I love to walk your streets, eat and drink in your pubs, ride your Underground, wallow in your diversity and marvel at the kindness of your strangers.

On Thursday, my first thought after hearing the news was of the heartfelt expressions of support from across the UK that came when my nation was under attack. I thought of how much those displays of support, of all the condolences from around the world, meant to me.

Then, although it is not very eloquent, my second thought was "Back atcha, and thanks."

Hang in there London. My thoughts are with you and yours. Hopefully soon I will see you all.

Sincerely,
An American
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 10:19 PM

We do appreciate your support. Everyone who lives or works in London knew this would happen at some point. It was of a matter of when, not if. It was a terrible day yesterday and today we will go back to the City to work. I'm a little apprehensive about doing so, but it has to be done. They won't frighten us away.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 10:22 PM

Morning Charley1965,

My BIL and Niece said the same thing.

best wishes
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 10:25 PM

lyb, I too express sadness, etc. But remember that between 10 and 20 Iraqis die in similarly blind and brutal bombings every day. That's three "London 7/7"s every week. Is the Iraqi thread on Fodors clogged with messages of sympathy? I don't know about you, but to me a victim of terrorism is worthy of the same sympathy, whether he/she live in a Western metropolis or an Arab capital.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 10:38 PM

alya

Best wishes to you also. Must rush off now and get ready for work.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:42 AM

We just visited your lovely town 4 months ago and we are ready to visit again. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:50 AM
P_M

America wishes all the best to everyone in London. May the bond between our two great nations never die.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Londoners and all in the UK:

Yesterday's attacks were a reminder of everything we Americans went through with 9/11. Even if 9/11 did not impact you directly there was still a great sense of sadness and apprehensiveness in the days and weeks following. I'm sure it's the same in the UK right now. You have our love, thoughts and prayers. The best thing you can do now is just get on with it.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 08:54 AM

<i>We do appreciate your support. Everyone who lives or works in London knew this would happen at some point. It was of a matter of when, not if.</i>
Ditto, Charlie.

All the expressions of concern, support, sympathy, solidarity and sadness are much appreciated.

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This is part of an email I received:

Thanks for your words. There is a great deal of anger here and everything has gone very quiet. It was eerie walking home from work yesterday with the roads closed to traffic and thousands walking quietly out of London towards their homes. I have heard many stories of near misses, including from my son who had been on night duty(he’s a doctor) and had overslept and so was not on the underground line that was attacked when it was attacked as he should have been!

The mood now is not to let “them” win and to get back to normal as soon as possible. The public transport system is already up and working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -