Reload this Page >

American Leave Allowance

Search

American Leave Allowance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 09:50 PM
Joanna

American Leave Allowance

One thing I notice from lots of posts here is that most people from the USA have only 2-3 weeks to spend in Europe per trip. How many weeks annual leave do you get? In Australia we get 4 weeks per year and I usually save two year's worth and take 2 months o/s. Is this not possible for North Americans? You all seem to have to rush your trips.

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 10:21 PM
jennifer

Most companies begin with 2 weeks which increases as your level within the company increases or your length of time with the company. Usually you cannot, however, let your leave accrue from one year to the next. I have heard that some hi-tech companies allow longer leaves (sabaticals). It is really too bad. You are just getting in the groove of traveling and it is time to head home! Oh to win the lottery and never work again.

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 10:31 PM
Stacie

Most Americans only get 2 weeks vacation per year which for some can not be rolled over to the next year. Going up the ladder of corporate success... some employees get 3 weeks after 3-5 years of employment and senior managers and executives get 4 weeks. Many companies though will only allow you to take the whole 4 weeks with a lot of advance notice. This is because there is no one to do the person's job while they are away. They might be able to get an unpaid leave of absence but with no guarantee that their particular job will still be available when they get back. In order to take off for 2 months most Americans would have to be retired, a student or quit their job after saving their money which is exactly what I am planning on doing. This is probably why Americans have such high stress. They never know what it's like to really get away from it all.

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 01:57 AM
WASA THE SWEDE

In Sweden we have 5 week by LAW, and you can make a deal with your management for more vaccation against overtime or less pay etc. But 5 week's is minimum by LAW. And that is not unique for europe Most western european countries have minimum 5 week's and many countries 6 weeks <BR> <BR>WASA <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 04:43 AM
ilisa

You have started a topic which hits a very raw nerve with me. I wish I was so fortunate as to be able to spend 2-3 weeks in Europe. My employers gives me only 10 days vacation, and they think they are being generous! My old boss was slightly better; I got 12 days. Even if I had the leave to take a longer vacation, they would be very hesitant to allow me to be out of the office for such a period of time. My boss is proud of the fact that he didn't take a day off the first two years he worked for the association. I work in Washington, DC where you are seen as lazy if you enjoy too much vacation time. The problem with Americans is that we tend to live to work, not work to live. <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 04:49 AM
caryn

I don't think the American employers understand that if they gave us more vacation time we would be more productive. It's really a shame but I don't think things will ever change. Everything is work, work, work. And if you try to take both weeks and some personal days all at the same time, you get dirty looks and worry about the security of your job. I also think it's ridiculous to have only 2 personal days. In 365 days, aren't you allowed to have more than 2 emergencies? Last year I was going to be in a wedding in FL. (I live in NJ). My boss wouldn't let me take a personal day that Monday. What was the matter with her? Actually, I am a teacher, so I get plenty of time in the summer. However, it is a myth that teachers get paid over the summer. So consequently, money is very tight. Also, what is the use of two months when your husband only gets two weeks and you can't go away for longer anyway? Also, while I am not definitely not complaining about two months in the summer, I will never have the option of going to Europe in the off season which is really a shame. And if I ever go to Australia, it will be winter. This is my gripe for the day. How can we change this aspect of American culture?

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 09:21 AM
Christina

I agree that it seems most US companies start <BR>employees with only 2 weeks, but I don't agree that <BR>most don't let you roll this time over into the <BR>next year. Any place I've worked, and all of my <BR>friends, have had this option -- usu. companies <BR>allow you to accrue vacation time up to a certain <BR>limit (e.g., 10 weeks). Now, I don't know actual <BR>labor statistics, but that's my experience for <BR>white collar, professional positions, anyway. If <BR>you couldn't roll it over, that would essentially <BR>mean no one could ever take a ski trip in Jan or <BR>Feb because they'd have no time accrued yet, and <BR>that no one could ever take a 2-week vacation <BR>because you wouldn't accrue the 2 weeks until 12/31 <BR>upon which date you'd lose it. I also don't <BR>understand the comment someone made saying they only got 10 days, not 2 weeks--10 days IS two weeks of working days, anybody who gets 2 weeks of vacation only gets 10 days off work, not 14. I took a month off to go study in France a few years ago and did it by not taking any vacation time for two years so I accumulated 4 weeks. Teachers who get 2-3 months off in the summer get paid a certain salary for their job--spend it all in 9 months or spend it all in 12 or whatever you want, it's still an annual salary. High school teachers around here make about $50K a year after 20 yrs seniority for teaching 9 months --although I'm not interested in teaching HS, I'd be perfectly happy to earn $50K if I got a 3 month vacation, not to mention all the other days they get off during the year. <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 09:39 AM
ilisa

I am the person who said I get 10 days of vacation (and no personal days). I said that because that is what it is considered in my place of employment. At no time is it referred to as two weeks. Additionally, employers do not necessarity conform with your definitions. My previous employer gave me 12 days of vacation; I have a friend who receives 13 days. Secondly, many people take vacations without rolling over their available days because they take their days in advance of receiving them. Thus, if they take a five day vacation in January, or whenever they begin accruing leave, they then owe the time and will not accrue it until it is made up. That is how I was able to go to Copenhagen last year. Regarding your comments about teachers' salaries in US, it is quite inappropriate to speculate about someone's salary in an open forum, particularly if you do not know them or their current situation. <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 09:53 AM
Ann

Vacation time in the US is very non-standard as to amount and policy of when/how it can be used. I work for a university and accrue 1.83 days per month (22 days/year) which I can accumulate up to 44 days. If I don't use it by then, I loose it (I've never come close though). My husband, on the other hand, works in a blue coller field (though I think he's considered management). He just started at a new plant and had to begin at the bottom vacation wise. He gets five days vacation and five personal days to use as sick leave or anything else (like taking a ten day vacation next month). On the other hand, when he works very long hours or works weekends or even holidays, he doesn't necessarily get compensatory time off (or even much thanks!). That's the situation in management of a small place...you're at the mercy of the owner's whim. Vacation policy in Europe really looks terrific from here. I hope Europeans who wonder why Americans rush through their vacations will stop to consider that few of us have much of a choice. That's why we look forward to retirement...so we can take long trips!

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 09:59 AM
kam

My husband is a partner in a big law firm. He can take as much time off as he wants, however, he won't make any money and will risk losing clients. Our average trips to Europe are 10 days and centered around business meetings, so those of you who have 2-3 weeks, I certainly envy you!! Bottom line is to make the most of what you have--the grass is always greener! <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 11:11 AM
Carlos

To Christina: I don't know any public school teacher who gets THREE months off for the summer. Also, if you look at more closely, most of the days off during the year are legal holidays such as Thanksgiving and Memorial Day. While it may take 20 years to earn 50K, all my friends in the "business" world earn that in less than ten years. However, I don't know if any amount of money would make me switch careers and move into the dog eat dog world of business. This is not the place to get started on how teachers are underappreciated and underpaid, but they are!

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 04:18 PM
Joanna

Thanks for all the interesting feedback. Perhaps you don't want to know that we also get 17.5% leave loading - that is, extra money to go on leave! It's weird but true.

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 04:42 AM
Carol

<BR>I've long been envious of the civilized, humane vacation policies in Europe and Australia. And those countries don't seem to be suffering economically because of that practice. WASA and Joanna: can you explain who does the work while you're away? That, as well as stingy policies and lack of money, seems to be the biggest problem for us Americans. Until recently I've had to work 50-60 hour weeks on either side in order to be able to get away at all.

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 02:36 PM
Caryn

To dimi: I don't think this attitude is appropriate. Joanna was not trying to make you angry or feel that you slave away with no thanks to your employer. If you don't like it here, it's a FREE country, you can leave!

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 02:43 PM
CJ

To Christina - Do you have to pick every word someone says apart? My daughter is a teacher and does NOT make 50K a year, but she gives the kids 50K's worth of knowledge. My husband owns his own business and gives his employees 10 vacation days a year and if you don't use it you loose it. Owning his own corporation we were fortunate to take 16 days and go to Europe this year (without pay). When he got back it took him 42 days to catch up. <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 03:49 PM
hamlet

Joanna - is your company hiring? If they are, post an application form, we're coming over! <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 07:40 PM
Joanna

Yes, I really have opened up a can of worms. I just wondered why most people on this website only seemed to have 2/3 weeks to spend on holidays, most of you being North Americans. I didn't mean to skite about having more holidays - sorry if it sounded like that. Someone asked who did the work while I was gone. In Australia we call in what we call a "temp" from a recruitment agency. It's very common practice here. Some people even make a career from temping so that they work when they want to and the agency they are registered with usually arranges their superannuation, workers compensation, etc.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 05:40 AM
Caryn

Joanna-We have quite a large temping industry here in the states. Many people make this a career here, too. In fact, many careers which were formerly permanent have become "temp" or "consulting" careers so employers can save money by not having to provide benefits, etc. I have temped in the past myself but have found that the companies often just call in the temp to mostly answer the phone and be a body at the desk. I have often sat for hours and hours at someone's desk with little or nothing to do. So in these cases I guess the temp is not really getting any of the vacationing employee's work done.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:50 PM
AllanJ

I work for an American company and get 21 days of vacation per year.<BR><BR>Travel tips:<BR>http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Ms. Smarty Pants

posting tip:<BR>http://refrain_from_adding_to posts_dating_from _1998.edu<BR><BR>or<BR><BR>www.StartingANnewTthrea dIsNotACrime.com<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -