Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

American family just moved to Zurich - needs help finding family friendly ski resort for Feb. 07 ski week.

Search

American family just moved to Zurich - needs help finding family friendly ski resort for Feb. 07 ski week.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just moved to Zurich, Switzerland and am trying to make plans for ski week (Feb 2007). I have 2 kids (10 & 7) and we've skied a few times back in the Rockies (Beaver Creek + KEystone). We'll get in some weekend skiing between Nov - Feb probably at Flims... so we won't be total beginners. So, I'm looking for a family friendly resort that isn't too far from Zurich that will offer nice lodging and skiing in Feb. Verbier, Wengen, Grindewald and Arosa have been suggested by people we've met. I'd love any advice to help our planning!
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 01:25 PM

The usually mentioned family-friendly skiing areas are Arosa, Savognin in Graubünden, Adelboden in Berner Oberland etc. The prices are also lower than at Flims-Laax etc., not to mention Zermatt/Davos/StMoritz. However there are tons of skiing areas within daytrip distance of Zürich - if you take the train Flumserberg is probably the easiest and not bad at all (they extend the S2 line in winter to Flums and you have the cable car right across the station). If you go by car nice very friendly skiing areas close to Zürich are Hoch-Ybrig (south of Einsiedeln), Stoos near Brunnen, or Pizol above Bad Ragaz. All these can also be reached by train/bus without too much hassle, but for Flumserberg train is actually easier and less hassle than the car. These are quite small (30-50 km skiing slopes each) but mostly very nice.

Flims-Laax is a huge area but not very beginner-friendly - but anyway you can ski and kids learn it anyway.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Sorry, just read that you plan for a week - then a bigger area is better. Verbier and Trois Vallees are probably the biggest around (crossing into France). The Jungfrau area - Wengen/Mürren/Grindelwald - is also very big but in pieces - you can't ski from one end of the area to the other as you can in Flims or Zermatt.
I don't know how big and how good Beaver Creek or Keystone areas are, but you will probably find that the snow in the Alps is not as dry as it is described for the Rockies, at least it's what I have read. So no off-piste skiing.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 02:04 PM

If you have a car, Adelboden seems to be family friendly. If you have any connection with the Girl Scout/Girl Guiding organization, the Girl Scout Chalet is nearby and can offer accomodations and meals rather inexpensively. Reservations must be made and paid for in advance. They are hostel like accomodations in a very wholesome atmosphere.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:37 PM

I enjoyed skiing in Arosa. It's compact and has good runs of all degrees of difficulty.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I've got just the place for you and your family- Klosters. It's around 1.5 hours by train from Zurich (if that long) and has plenty for everyone at all levels. The area all the way to the right of the ski map is ideal for children (but has enough for more advanced adults). The central area is vaster and interconnects with Davos.
Klosters is also a charming authentic mountain village.
Enjoy.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Just remember that February is when the Yummy Mummies & Their Little Darlings go skiing so prices are high
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM

also check the school break weeks for the UK and France (France is in 3 zones and I would really avoid the Paris holiday- zone C).