Amalfi - to rent or not to rent car?

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi - to rent or not to rent car?

We are staying in Positano for 3 nights. We definitely want to visit Ravello, Amalfi and some of the other little towns. Ignoring any money issues, is it better to have a rental car or to rely on Ferries, cabs and buses to visit the other towns? One friend suggested that hiring a driver might to drive along the Costiera Amalfi roads might free the two of us to watch the scenery vs. driving. How much would it cost to rent a driver for a few hours?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!
M.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The buses are very easy to use and cheap too. Don't forget - buy your tickets at the nearest Tabacchi (or train station in Sorrento) then validate the ticket as you get on the bus in the yellow box.
The driving along the Amalfi Coast can be hair-raising, blind corners, cars having to back up to let the bus past, straight drop into the sea, narrow roads etc. Parking can also be very difficult. To get to Ravello, you catch one bus to Amalfi then another up the hill to Ravello. Both towns are well worth a visit.
If you do a search on this board for Sorrento driver you should find some contacts for a driver if that's what you decide on.
Kay
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:24 AM

I think during the summer there's an odd/even system for driving on the amalfi coast road to cut down on the horrible traffic congestion -- meaning, for eg., on monday cars with license plates ending in even numbers are allowed on the road, the even ones on Tuesday, etc. But buses can go anytime.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 04:53 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Musetta

It is pointless to rent a car just to drive the coast. To GET to the coast yes, but while there, it is too difficult to park & navigate the narrow roads.

Buses & boat taxis are efficient & cheap. Taxis are expensive - 50 euro Amalfi to Positano.

Contrary to Sera's comment, there is no restriction on cars on SS163. Tour buses are restricted to inbound in the morning & outbound in the PM, I believe. The Sita (public) buses & cars & motocycles (can't forget the motorcycles!!) can drive anytime.

Ian
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 01:59 PM

Ian, I beg to differ with you. The locals told me on my trip last year that they are prohibited from driving every other day just at the poster stated. The rental cars do not have this limitation, however.

Musetta, rent a car, it is the ride of a lifetime! The driving was not difficult. Parking was a pain at times, but, it was well worth the trouble.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 04:06 PM

We just returned from the Amalfi Coast, and I wouldn't rent a car there if you paid me! The traffic, especially on the weekends, when it's jammed with motorscooters and people trying to head out to the swimming piers/beaches, is horrendous.And parking in the tiny towns of the coast is a nightmare. You're much better off taking the SITA buses, or relying on boats from one town to the next. For instance, you can easily get from Positano to Amalfi by boat, then take a bus from there for the short trip to Ravello.

Anyway, have fun, and good luck!
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 04:32 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Breezy

I stand corrected.

I must admit, I loved driving the coast & mountain roads around the coast (once I got used to them). I didn't see the vistas however, as I was more concerned with the next corner. My wife, as a passenger, was enthralled & terrified at the same time.

We only used the car to get in & out (to Pompeii etc). We took the SITA buses & water taxis. Cheap & easy.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 08:50 PM

If you enjoy driving, rent a car. We do and love it. You just need to learn how to drive "Italian." There are buses, etc. but as is always the case, your flexibility is greatly enhanced if you drive. Of course, being from CA helps with the mentality thing. I think it would probably be quite different if you were from a serene, quiet place such as Montana.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 01:42 AM

I agree with Weadles. I only ever rented a car there once in high season. BIG mistake! We sat in a traffic jam for an hour ...

The best way around in August is by boat.
Positano-Amalfi by boat takes 20 mins.
By car it can take ... 40 mins - 2 hours++

Steve
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Don't rent a car. We drove to sorrento and dropped off our car and took the bus to Positano. Can take buses and ferrys everywhere. Much easier and safer then driving.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:44 PM

We didn't rent a car last time we went, but next time, I would like to as it gives you some freedom to just go whenever you like. As I recall, hiring a driver was quite expensive, I think the ride to and back from Ravello (from Positano) was going to run us about $350.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:49 AM

Very interested to read the comments. Im going on honeymoon 6th-17th September to Revetta Amalfi Coast. Ive hired a car for the duration and have a garage at my villa. Wondering whether its best to just use the car to get to my villa from naples airport then use the public transport? Any comments appreciated!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:06 AM
ira

Hi goggs
>Im going ...to Revetta Amalfi Coast. Ive hired a car for the duration and have a garage at my villa. Wondering whether its best to just use the car to get to my villa from naples airport then use the public transport? <

Is your villa close to public transport, if so, I suggest you hire a driver from Naples to your hotel and return.

If not, you will need the car.

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Gordon -

From the Naples Airport, we took a bus to the train station, then a train from Naples to Sorrento, stopping for a tour of the ruins at Ercolano (has baggage storage). Then a bus from Sorrento to Positano. It may sound like alot, but it was really alot of fun. I got quotes from drivers before the trip and decided it was too much money; having said that, it IS your honeymoon, and if you can afford it, I'd spring for the driver to minimize your stress level. Def. don't want a car on the AC once you get there, even if there's a place to park it. The busses are great for town hopping.