Reload this Page >

France Flexrail Pass

Search

France Flexrail Pass

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 07:10 PM
Pat Klontz

France Flexrail Pass

If I buy a Flexrail pass for France, how to I use that for riding the TGV? I know there is an added fee. Also, does anyone know how I go about using that pass when I go into Lausanne? Is there a site that gives me information. The SCNF is hard for me to follow. Thanks. Pat

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 07:19 PM
Rex

My first question would be how much are you paying for the Flexrail pass? and why?<BR><BR>May I refer you to www.railsaver.com to be sure that a pass of any kind is really worth purchasing?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:17 AM
Pat Klontz

Rex,<BR>I will check the site. We are two families (eight of us total) traveling from Paris to Provence by way of a couple of days in the Alps. From what checking I have done (with little experience I will admit) a pass that allowed us three or four days of rail and a couple of days for a car seems to be the best deal. The teenagers can get a decent pass because of their ages. I will check the site you suggested. Any other suggestions I may not know about? We have two other people who may go with us. I think ten makes an official "group" in some countries. Pat

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:18 AM
Pat Klontz

Just realized I didn't actually answer your question. I believe the flexpass is $199 for four days of rail and three with a car and 150 for the kids. PJK

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:09 AM
Rex

$1400 for train passes for four adults and four kids. I would rent a nine passenger van and save a lot of money.<BR><BR>Admittedly, they are sometimes difficult to park - - not only outside - - too tall for some inside parking.<BR><BR>But this would still be my choice.<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:40 PM
Frank

Pat<BR>You have to make a reservation and pay a supplement to ride the TGV. You can do this at SNCF offices or train stations in France, it's quite easy. I haven't done it but I imagine you could do this over the internet but I've always done it in France a couple of days before travelling. You have to get your railpass validated before you use it the first time. I've ordered my railpasses previously from Rick Steves, he has a website and his instructional video that comes with it is quite good.<BR>As far as cost, it is cheaper to drive but I've done both and for peace of mind and the experience of using a wonderful train system (especially the TGV)I'll only do the trains with my family. By the way there's a five day, three country railpass on sale for 200 bucks where you get to choose three adjacent countries you can go to. If you're dipping into Switzerland, it might save you money.<BR>Good luck<BR>Frank

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:58 PM
Boots

Pat, are you sure you have to pay extra to use the TGV? I often buy a pass, and the only additional charge I have paid is for the reservation which is obligatory. On your trip to Lausanne, I would show my pass at the station and tell them you want to pay the fare from the French border to your destination in Switzerland. I just bought a 4-day pass, no car, for $149 that I am using next week. It may be one that has to be used before a certain date. I got it from ricksteves.com where I always buy my passes. Boots

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:58 PM
jill

Can I join in on this question? We (2 adults/2 teens) will be traveling from Paris to Strasbourg or Colmar and cannot decide which would be most economical -- travel by train then rent car for four days and return to CDG by rail; or rent car in Paris and drive to Colmar and return to CDG by car. The rail/drive pass provides for 3 days rail and 2 days car. It was about $600+ - the way I calculate it. We only need 2 days rail and 4 days car. I was surprised it was that expensive, but I have not yet researched rental car rates. If we drove, how long would it take? Thought you guys would have some valuable input. Thanks!

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:25 PM
Pat Klontz

Jill,<BR><BR>From my research (lots of snow here today so a good time to look at web sites) I think renting a car would probably run about $300 instead of $600 for the week's travel for four. I am still leaning toward the train just because I tend to feel the hassles of driving are far more than those of the train. With two families (in our case) I think we want some flexibility that the sharing a van won't give us once we are at our two and three night destinations. Maybe someone else can speak to driving time. As to the post with questions about extra for the TGV, that may be a reflection of the reservation cost only. I know the additional cost is minimal, and I am sure the time saved is well worth it. Pat

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:23 PM
Frank

jill<BR>For a family of four I'm sure renting a car will be the most economical. In addition you're talking about short distances over autoroutes,which are very fast, although I haven't done that specific drive. You do have to pay tolls but it's worth it because the regular roads can be very slow. <BR>To ride the TGV with a railpass you only pay the cost of the reservation, I made a mistake in my earlier post.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:29 PM
elvira

Cars are (dollarwise) cheaper than trains when there are more than two people, especially for shorter distances; they may not be cheaper, emotionally, if no one likes to drive or is nervous about it.<BR><BR>Rather than a van, look into renting two cars; they'll be easier to park and maneuver, and you have the freedom to mix 'n' match - 4 want to go to a movie, 4 want to go clubbing; 3 want to go shopping, 5 want to go to a car museum - and if there's friction between a couple of the family members (believe me, it can happen), they can ride in separate cars. For mapping out routes, with things to see along the way<BR>http://www.mappy.fr/direct/mappy/accueil<BR><BR>If you decide to go with the pass, you will have to buy a ticket that's valid from the French border to Lausanne; you can buy it at any French rail station. Ditto the reservation for the TGV; you don't have to buy the ticket at your departure station. The info on the various passes is on www.raileurope.com