Amalfi hotels

Feb 4th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Amalfi hotels

We will be staying in Amalfi for six nights in early May. The three hotels that fall into our budget are: Hotel Doria, Hotel Amalfi and Hotel Le Palme. Looked at reviews on trip advisor but still looking for some insight into why you chose one of these hotels.
Thanks!
Feb 7th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Hi HarryS,

I know the Amalfi Coast because I live in Pompeii, and I can give you some information. Hotel Doria is not very central .... I suppose that you want to go around, but I suggest you to choose between Amalfi and Le Palme.
Have you considered to rent a car, even for few days?
Feb 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I was planning on renting a car at the airport in Naples. I was not sure how easy it would be to park a car in the small towns on the Amalfi coast.I was planning on using the bus to visit along the coast and the ferry to visit Capri.
I have read that Hotel Amalfi is central but that it may be a little loud at night. Hotel Le Palme gets great reviews but there seems to be a lot of steps to get to the center of Amalfi.
Feb 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM

Harry: I do not think that you have to worry about much noise in early May. I was there at the same time of year and the town was fairly quiet. If you are planning to get around by bus and then take a ferry to Capri, why do you need a car at all?

If you do plan to tour the area by car, I think the driving would be fine at that time of year, since it is not yet high season. But you then need to find a hotel that offers parking. Hotel Floridiana offers free parking but I do not know if the rates are within your budget.

Hotel Le Palme looks like it is in or near the town of Pogerola, which is accessible by a long walk, or bus, from Amalfi. The downhill walk would not be bad, but uphill will likely be very steep.They should offer free parking, but it is certainly not a central location. On the other hand, you would be in a non-touristy town with good options for local dining at prices that will probably be much lower than in the towns directly on the coast.
Feb 8th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking of renting a car since I was flying into Naples. I understand that it is a two plus hour ride from Naples to Amalfi.
If it would not be too loud in early May then maybe I wil go with Hotel Amalfi.
We plan on staying two nights on Capri at a B&B.
Feb 9th, 2011, 03:36 AM

It is not a two-hour-plus ride..much less than that. You can go by public transport--train from Naples to Salerno and then bus or ferry to Amalfi is one routing. Or you can hire a private driver to pick you up at the airport and drive you to Amalfi for about 100 euro. Do a search here for the names of drivers--there are many and prices do not vary by more than 20 euros at most.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-services.cfm
Feb 9th, 2011, 04:18 AM

http://www.expedia.com/Amalfi-Coast-...el-Information

my fav in that area Positano central pretty

sea view rooms from under 99 euro.