Search

Amalfi Drive

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 1998, 04:07 AM
Jean

Amalfi Drive

Will be in Italy for 2 weeks in Sept. From Tuscany and Umbria we are contemplating doing the Amalfi Drive. I know it is a serpertine road, has anyone driven it and if so your comments would be appreciated. <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 1998, 05:49 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jean, The part from Sorrento to Positano is not that <BR>bad---it is the tour busses that are the problem. <BR>If you are apprehensive, I would stay in Sorrento <BR>and take one of the local bus tours and leave the driving to them. From Positano to Amalfi gets worse <BR>and the drive up to Ravello gave my sweet wife a <BR>new vocabulary. Have fun!!

Old Jul 11th, 1998, 09:41 AM
richard

Jean, I think this drive does not deserve it's notoriety. It's plenty wide for two cars, and the tour buses do blow their horn as they approach bends because they do have to make a wide swing. It almost becomes a game "listening for the tour bus horn". My wife was a "white-knuckler" but I enjoyed the drive, from Naples to Pasteum. <BR>My only advice, if the drive north to south on California 1 makes you nervous, don't drive the Amalfi. <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 1998, 08:07 AM
doc

Hello: <BR> We did the tour bus thing from Naples to the towns of Sorrento and on down to Amalfi. When we returned to Naples we were told by the tour guide that we had negotiated more than 1000 turns on the drive. The only problems I saw were the motorcyclists that were weaving in and out of the traffic. Whenever a bus approches a turn, they BLOW their horns in warning. The drive itself is so beautiful that even if I had to walk I would go again. Taking the drive with a rental car would be wonderful. Just plan a full day for the trip. It would be even better to rent a hotel room in Amalfi and make it an overnight adventure. This is definitely a one of a kind experience.

Old Jul 13th, 1998, 08:07 AM
doc

Hello: <BR> We did the tour bus thing from Naples to the towns of Sorrento and on down to Amalfi. When we returned to Naples we were told by the tour guide that we had negotiated more than 1000 turns on the drive. The only problems I saw were the motorcyclists that were weaving in and out of the traffic. Whenever a bus approches a turn, they BLOW their horns in warning. The drive itself is so beautiful that even if I had to walk I would go again. Taking the drive with a rental car would be wonderful. Just plan a full day for the trip. It would be even better to rent a hotel room in Amalfi and make it an overnight adventure. This is definitely a one of a kind experience.

Old Jul 13th, 1998, 05:55 PM
Barbara

<BR>Jean, the greatest difficulty in driving the Amalfi Drive is keeping your eyes on the road, because the scenery is breathtaking. Positano is centralized and a great place to stay. Ravello is a long climb, but cars don't actually speed up this uphill road, and the rewards of Ravello will live in your heart for a long time. It's magical. Lovely places to stay and you'll fell like you're on top of the world. Hope you go. Buon Viaggio!

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 02:11 PM
Ellen

Hmmm. Can't comment on the drive. HOWEVER, we stayed in Positano, picked up another couple from somewhere in the u.s. and rented a small boat. The best thing we did! I don't know about the view from the Amalfi coast road. Wouldn't it just be water. We cruised the coastline in our little boat with an awning, awed by the cliffs, towns, nooks and crannies. We dropped the anchor wherever it looked good, and swam off the boat (better than those rocky beaches). We boated to the Emerald Grotto and then went a little further past it to a cove. There, we had some wine, bread, cheese, and great conversation. We sunned ourselves on the rocks like the little mermaid and then cruised on back! Stress free, no exhaust fumes, no problem. Just another alternative.

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 12:38 PM
Betty Re

Ciao, <BR>Husband and I have driven the Amalfi Coast road 5 times. <BR>Its beautiful and nothing to be afraid of. I agree that it's a temptation to look at the scenery, but we traded driving jobs so we each had a turn at looking. Ravello should not be missed! <BR>I am planning now for another long trip next May, June. By the way,if you are a Senior and can not rent a car (70 or over), get a 17 day (or longer) lease.The cars are brand new, can be picked up in cities or airports and is a no hassel thing to do. We use Europe by Car, but there are many others. Have fun! <BR>Arrivederci