Reload this Page >

amalfi coast tour

Search

amalfi coast tour

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:14 AM
Pat

amalfi coast tour

We will be staying in Sorrento this august and Im wondering about touring. Can one get to Pompeii, The Amalfi coast and Capri by public transportation as a family of 6? And how about private tours of Pompeii? Can these be arranged at the site or in advance and are they really necessary? <BR>Can our family see the coast and Capri through group tour or must we hire private driver to get around?<BR>Whats worth seeing on Capri and should one spend a day touring Amalfi coast towns?<BR>Lots of questions -- help??<BR>Pat

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:17 PM
ttt

ttt<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:34 AM
Steve James

Hello Pat,<BR><BR>All these places are easy by public transport.<BR><BR>Sorrento-Pompei trains run every 30 minutes. Get off at Pompei Scavi.<BR><BR>Buses along the Amalfi coast to Positano/Amalfi run about every hour, and leave from Sorrento station. <BR>(These can be busy in August, so it's best to get there early to get seats!) Both trains and buses are inexpensive.<BR><BR>There are also regular ferries & hydrofoils along the Amalfi Coast.<BR><BR>Sorrento-Capri ferries & hydrofoils also run frequently. Not sure if they offer a family discount, but it's worth checking.<BR><BR>If you prefer organised tours, there are coach excursions daily from Sorrento.<BR><BR>You should DEFINITELY spend a day visiting the Amalfi Coast towns!<BR><BR>In Capri don't miss Marina Piccola (good place for a swim!), and also the chairlift ride up Monte Solaro from Anacapri.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:24 AM
pat

Does one need a private guide to do Pompeii or a tour guide? Or can a family manage the ruins with a good guide book...we like to be independent.<BR>Thanks for your input on the Amalfi coast.<BR>Pat

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:52 AM
Sue

Some prefer a guided tour, some prefer to wander round at their own pace with a guide book. I think there may also be audio guides now. Really I think it's a matter of personal preference

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:35 PM
Tess

Certainly the town of Amalfi & island of Capri are worth a look. And if you do a tour that goes up to Ravello (or can take a bus from Amalfi to this town) it's also worth a quick stop. Although I'm a Positano fan, I do have to admit this isn't a 'must-see' place for a day-tripper. Quite honestly, there's not much going on in Positano. I find it a charming little town with shops & restaurants. I enjoy the beautiful views and relaxation after spending time in other hectic & busier cities in Italy (for example, a great place for a couple days of R&R after being in Rome).<BR><BR>If you're heading to Capri, there's the Blue Grotto. I'm not a grotto fan --- thought it was much ado about nothing. However others disagree. If you want to see a lively discussion on the pros/cons about this very touristy attraction, run a search for the grotto.<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Pat

What about Capri -- is there much to do/see on the island and can a family of 6 get around. How do you travel around Capri -- bus, taxi??<BR>Does anyone know about the Sorrento Hilton?<BR>Thanks for the help,<BR>Pat