Amalfi Coast - Positano?

Old Feb 1st, 1998, 12:06 PM
Jane

Amalfi Coast - Positano?

Planning trip to Tuscany June 1998 (30 year old couple) and would like to spend a week on Amalfi Coast. Have heard Positano is a better location than Capri - any truth in this? Would appreciate any accommodation tips in Positano.

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 07:35 AM
Murphy

About the Amalfi Coast area, I would recommend staying in Sorrento part of the time, maybe a couple days in Positano, and spend a day on Capri. Sorrento is lovely, and if you're travelling by train, it's the last stop on the line. We liked it so much we stayed an extra day. It's convenient (45 min. train ride) to Pompeii (the train stops almost at the main entrance), to Capri (boats all the time) and by bus (45 min.) to Positano, which is expensive. I would also recommend the Albergo Minerva Hotel in Sorrento - if's built up in the cliff, overlooking the Bay of Naples. You take a small elevator up through the rock to the 5th floor terrace - with a pool, into the reception area. They are extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms are large, tile floored with French doors onto balconies or patios - again overlooking the bay. All this for about $100. We just loved it, and have talked to people to stay there year after year. It's just a short walk around the bend into the town centre, and there's lots to do there. Let me know if you want more info. Enjoy!

Old Feb 8th, 1998, 12:06 PM
Vicki

I agree with the previous message. We stayed in Sorrento and also extended our stay. We took the boat trip to Capri but the Blue Grotto was closed due to high water. Good idea to check before going if this is a "must see." We took local bus from Sorrento down the Amalfi Coast and really enjoyed it. We stayed at the Sorrento Palace, a bit more expensive, but a wonderful place. Enjoy your trip

Old Feb 8th, 1998, 03:41 PM
lynn

We stayed in Sorrento and visited Capri from there.
Capri is a beautiful island, and you can cover most of it in a day or two. It only has about 4 roads, so you'll have to get around by bus - the streets are extremely windy and narrow.
Try to go to Anacapri, the highest point in Capri, and take the funicular to the peak. The views are spectacular and it's fun.
have a great time!

Old Feb 14th, 1998, 08:08 PM
jules

My husband and I, together with another couple (also in our 30's) recently rented a villa in Positano. It's a lovely, picturesque town with plenty of good eateries and things to do. The landlady of our villa also has her own bed and breakfast, a lovely place called Casa Teresa, on the cliffs overlooking the town and the coast. Teresa's number is 089 875803. Hire a small boat and do a day trip out to some of the nearby rock outcrops, just drop anchor and read, swim, sleep - bliss. We also spent a wonderful day in Ravello, situated above Amalfi. The Cimbrone gardens there are worth a stroll and picnic. If you feel like a splurge meal, try Hotel Palumbo - one of the best meals we've had, with views to match. Enjoy!