Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast --opinions on these hotels please

Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be staying 4 nights at the end of September on the Amalfi Coast. The hotels we're considering are:

Palazzo Sasso
Hotel Caruso
Il San Pietro di Positano
Le Sirenuse

I know that Palazzo Sasso has received some tremendous accolades and I was ready to book. The only thing I question is whether we'll regret staying in Ravello instead of Positano. Is that a mistake? We will have a car but I know that complicates matters too because of parking. I'm just thinking that perhaps Positano might have more to do at night and more restaurants and I don't want to be commuting back and forth late night. Having never been--can anyone shed some insight on these hotels and where the best place to stay would be?

Thank you!

Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM

I vote for the Hotel Caruso, they have a shuttle into Positano and Amalfi so you won't always have to use your car. I have not stayed there but I have been on the grounds and it is magical.

On the other hand Le Sirenuse is right in the town of Positano so you can walk around there at night.

Of these two hotels, Ravello is very high up the mountain and Positano is right above the water.

Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM

Since you haven't been to the area,I should explain that it is not right above the water, it is about in the middle of town on the main road and there is a path through the lower town to the water, with restaurants and shopping on the way.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:17 PM

We stayed at Le Sirenuse several years ago and enjoyed our stay. Our friends stayed at Il San Pietro di Positano and they felt it was a bit isolated. Many of the guests actually did a dual stay. Le Sirenuse for several days and then Palazzo Sasso for several days. That way you get to stay "in town" for several days and then stay up in Ravello for several days. If I were to return I would probably want to try staying at the Palazzo Sasso.

Le Sirenuse is nice because it has its own path down to the beach and in season, the "fishing boat" will take you on a complimentary ride in the surrounding areas.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM

Hello,

Last May I saw three of the 4 hotels: Palazzo Sasso: spectacular, exclusive, 5 star, a bit removed from the Almafi area.
Hotel Caruso: (didnt see this-too new)
Il San Pietro di Positano: also spectacular and exclusive. Its removed from Positano, however, its just a 5 min taxi away. Private beach area (very small)

Le Sirenuse is my choice for my Italy trip THIS year because of the proximity to everything in Positano. Great location! Close to all including general population beach.I'm also staying another 3 nights at the Quisisana in Capri.

For your 4 nights, I'd consider Le Sirenuse where you could easily have dinner at Palazzo Sasso and take a day trip to Capri (a must in my opinion).

Good luck,
Natalie

Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate the feedback. One final question, is there another hotel in this area that's 4 to 5 star but better located? I chose the hotels I listed based on reviews in CondeNast, Travel and Leisure and Trip Advisor. Just want to make sure I haven't left anything out!
Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:48 AM

It depends what you mean by better located. Do you want a hotel right on the water, or right in town?

I would consider Le Sirenuse the best located because you are in Positano town, but a very short walk down a private path to the beach, also a short walk to the hydrofoil for daytrips to Capri. Since you will have a car, you can take a day trip to Ravello or other areas. Its a pain to always have to get in your car to go anywhere. This way you will have a balance of being able to just walk around and then the option of your car to take longer trips.

Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM

When we were in Positano for our honeymoon we stayed in the Albergo Miramare.
Positano was a great base to explore the coast, and allowed us to easily get to Amalfi, Ravello, Minori, Sorrento and Pompeii for daytrips. We were very happy that we chose it.

The miramare was a 4star hotel located not a very far walk from the water, but with a very nice view.
We stayed in the annex - a seperate building, because it was cheaper - and to do it again, I would stay in the main building. The main building seemed much nicer than the annex, and I have heard great reviews about some of the rooms there.

The best part of our stay at this hotel was the complimentary boat ride included in the price of our stay. It was absolutely fantastic - and one of our most treasured memories of our time on the Amalfi Coast.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 08:03 AM

If you'd like to consider a 4-star just up the hill from Le Sirenuse, look at Hotel Poseidon. It's a lovely, family-run hotel with gorgeous views and outstanding food and service.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:09 AM
nsbuscher

I'd recommend staying at Hotel Luna in Amalfi-they also offer a private shuttle from the train station, reasonable rates and friendly staff.

Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Yes, when I mentioned "better located" I mean best location to sites, shops, restaurants, etc. Not necessarily the beach though. So given the comments it appears that Le Sirenuse is the best hotel based on overall location?

Wow, it's 20 degrees here in Mass and I just wish it were the end of September so we could be in Italy. It's terrible to think how I'm wishing my life away just so I can get to my next trip If only my job gave me the same thrill as travel!
Jan 24th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Based on your criteria of best located, I would choose Le Sirenuse. It is close to the many restaurants and shops in Positano. I remember just strolling around in the evenings and walking around the town and popping into restaurants/shops. It also has easy access to the road going out of town for day trips. We had a lovely stay there.
Jan 26th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

I have a somewhat unrelated quesiton, is it difficult to get around the Amalfi Coast without a car? We typically get cars everywhere we go with the exception of major cities. I would assume there would be ferrys from either Ravello or Positano to nearby places such as Capri, Amalfi, Sorrento, etc? What about Pompeii?
Jan 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM

The SITA bus is the best transportation.
It runs up and down the coast quite regularly, and is reliable, inexpensive and relatively easy to use.
We used it frequently while there, and took daytrips to Amalfi, Sorrento, Minori, etc.

We also took it to Sorrento (where we caught a train to Pompeii). My only warning would be - if you plan on leaving early be sure to buy tickets in advance. Stupidly, they sell tickets in the convenient stores. We left very early for Pompeii and there was nowhere open to buy tickets! So we decided to go anyway, and of course, that was the one time on our entire trip we ran into a ticket collector on the bus! He fined us 50E per person!!!!!! and he spoke no english - so we couldnt explain ourselves except in awkward hand gestures and my horrible spanglish. We didnt have 100E, so he cut the fine in half - but it was still awful.
Jan 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM

I would use boats when possible instead of the SITA bus. I'm not sure of the boat schedule at the end of September, but in season there are regular connections between Positano-Amalfi, Positano-Capri, and Positano-Sorrento. The only problem is that sometimes the boats in Positano are cancelled due to rough water conditions.

You will have to take a SITA bus or cab to Ravello, since it's inland from Amalfi.

From Sorrento, there's a local train to Pompeii that takes about 30 minutes.
Jan 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Given your tastes, I would stay in the category of which you have chosen: luxe.

With that said, I would agree that Le sirenuse is the best in terms of being in town.

Ravello is very magical, but not at all like Positano; it is indeed a bit isolated, but again very magical. Given you have only 4 days, I would choose Le Sirenuse but do pick a full sea view room. Il San Pietro is terrific and beautiful, but I think you'll enjoy the idea of walking into town for a meal, shopping, etc.

I think of Sasso and Il San Pietro as more honeymoon destinations( is it your honeymoon, you would have said so , no?)

Looks like your budget can go for it, so why not.

You will love it there, so no worries on a return trip, then you can try Hotel Caruso next, then Sasso, then....

Have a wonderful time!!
Jan 26th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

My heart wants to stay at Hotel Caruso or Palazzo Sasso but I do think we'll be happier in the long run at Le Sirenuse. In past trips I would have just booked what my gut thought but in this case, I really think it's better to stay where we have more access to shops & restaurants. I just don't like the idea of being required to eat the hotel and since I haven't been there, I get the impression that Ravello is smaller w/fewer restaurant choices. I'd imagine that we'll have a lot more choices in Positano vs. Ravello.

I'm also seriously comtemplating not getting a car. I know anyone who reads this is probably saying, "big deal" but for us, this would be a first. I just don't like being locked into train and bus schedules. Also, I've always wanted to do the drive along the Amalfi Coast but maybe that drive will be in a bus or a private excursion of some sort. I really wanted to make sure there's a ferry from Positano to various cities along the coast and it sounds like there is. I've only been to this area once on a cruise so we did our own thing in Naples, by hitching the local ferry to Sorrento and Capri. It was very easy and I think it might be the way to go if we stay in Positano.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!
Jan 26th, 2007, 06:08 PM

On the topic of having a car: since you are considering a private tour type thing, I would not get the car. There are highly recommend Amalfi coast car services on this board, and you will be well served. You can book them for as much or as little as you'd like. I'm sure the hotel will help you with this.
Jan 26th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I meant to add a little more: our friends were picked up in Naples at their hotel, and we were picked up a day earlier at Naples airport.

We tried to take the SITA bus to Ravello and it was a nightmare. The bus was very late and there were people flagging down vans at the bus stop and begging the drivers to take them to their transportation connections. The bus ride was also sickening for me, and I had taken motion sickness meds. On a trip to the PO at the top of Positano, we saw a pale skinned young woman from the UK, I think (talked to her and heard her accent) totally frying to a beet red in the sun waiting for the bus that she said was very very late. On the way back from Amalfi, we took a boat.

The car service we used also took us to Pompeii, back to Naples airport, and took our friends to Rome.

We are NOT the types to use private cars (although our friends that we were traveling with are) and always use public transportation, busses and rental cars. Even cheapo me was glad to have the car service in, to, and from Positano.
Jan 26th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Hello Tuscanlifeedit--

Do you happen to remember the name of the car service you used? We also do not use private cars / chauffeurs or private tours but I can see where it might be useful to have the name of a service just in case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO