Amalfi Coast Itinerary - need help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning the following trip to the Amalfi coast, but there are too many stops. Which would you delete?

I know we can do some as daytrips, but don't like to back track unless a very short distance. (30 min ride at the most)

Stop One - Arrive into Naples - take ferry to Sorrento (stay 2 nights)

Stop Two - take ferry to Capri (stay 2 nights)

Stop Three - take ferry to Positano (stay 2 nights)

Stop Four - take ferry to Amalfi (stay 2 nights)

Stop Five - take ferry to Ravello (stay 2 nights)

Stop Six - take ferry to Salerno, and get train or rental car. Stay in Pompeii one night

Stop Seven - take train or car to Rome to fly home. (Been to Rome two times, so just staying one night)
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Are you going to spend time in Pompeii or just spending the night? It's worth a trip there. I'd probably skip Amalfi. Honestly all those towns are so close together, and other than admiring the views and enjoying browsing the shops, there isn't much to do so you can just do a day trip unless you really want to spend that much time there.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM

There's no ferry from Amalfi to Ravello, similarly no ferry from Ravello to Salerno. I would stop in Pompeii on the way from Naples to Sorrento. Then I would take a train from Salerno back to Rome.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Hi i,

When are you visiting? It makes a difference. Also, what are you planning to see/do from Sorrento?

I would see stay at least 1 night in Naples to see the Archeological Museum if nothing else. Then see Pompeii on the way to Sorrento. Then go to Capri as planned.

Then pick one of the coastal towns for the rest of your time and do day trips from there. Ravello is high above the coast, up from Amalfi. So as the other poster mentioned, no ferry. Not so easy to use as a base for day trips. Very nice if you plan to stay put and relax.

If you are going during peak season, June - September, I would stay either in Positano or Amalfi. That way you can get around by boat rather than bus. When I was there in September the SITA buses were a nightmare.

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I guess I'll skip Ravello since no ferry. SO that makes one decision easier.

How different are the towns of Positano, Amalfi and Sorrento. If there isn't much difference then I don't need to spend the night in all three.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Of all the towns on the Amalfi Coast, Ravello is the most different. It has such extraordinary views, you don't get from Amalfi or Positano that I wouldn't drop it from your itinerary. There are buses you can take to get there and back. I'd chose either Positano or Amalfi, and it is really kind of a toss up as to which one, although many prefer Positano because it is hillier. It might depend on where you can get the best hotel. You can do a day trip from just about any of them to Pompeii...easily arranged by the concierge at your hotel.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 04:44 AM

>>How different are the towns of Positano, Amalfi and Sorrento. If there isn't much difference then I don't need to spend the night in all three.<<

Sorrento is larger than the others, with few scenic views but it offers ease of contact with other sites along the Amalfi Coast. I'd suggest that you extend your time there and visit each other as daytrips (including Pompeii - you don't want to spend a night there IMO). BTW, why Salerno?
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:40 AM

Hi
it seems that you wish to visit a lot in only 12 days, and that it's a good idea if you wish to have a full idea of the peninsula. The Amalfi Coast itself worths the time, even if all depends of the period you wish to visit.
My suggestions are as following:
Once in Rome take an ES train (the fastest one) and go to Naples. The best idea would be to have someone waiting for you at the train and help with the luggages, but if you have just a little practise of italian railway stations you will be able to do by yourself. To visit the City you will need at least 3 days. I know that free tours of Naples are aivalable in low season (feel free to write to me at [email protected] to get this infos). From Naples you can catch the small train called "circumvesuviana" for daily excursions to Sorrento and Pompeii. Ferry to Capri for a two nights stay and then ferry to Amalfi for Amalfi Coast visit and overnights.
On the Amalfi Coast I would suggest to overnight in Ravello, which is situated in the middle of the coast, with stunning view and much more quite than Amalfi and Positano. From Ravello all daily excursions are possible with pubblic bus to Amalfi. Once in Amalfi you will take the ferry to Salerno (1/2 day is enought for historical center) and Positano (as below). Once time is finished, take the train back to Rome.
Hope I gave enought informations. Do not heistate to contact me if you wish any more info, I'm sure you will love the AC
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 08:46 AM
ira

Hi inor,

The reason that thee is no ferry to/from Ravello is that it is up in the hills.

It is about 1/2 hr by bus from Amalfi.

I would go to Pompeii from Sorrento. It's a lot closer than from Salerno.

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Pompei is a very easy day or half-day trip by train from Sorrento. I did that last year. I also stayed in Ravello, and would say that was the highlight of my trip to Italy! The views are incredible, the town is lovely, the crowds are gone at night, and if you decide to take day trips you easily can by bus. I honestly would pick Ravello over Capri myself. And I would also skip Amalfi. I wasn't clear on why you were going to Salerno. I took the train to the coast from Rome to Salerno, then a taxi to Ravello. That was a long haul. The Salerno station is really bad for moving luggage around. Lots of stairs and no porters that I could find. Going back to Rome from Sorrento seemed much easier. Next time I will skip the Salerno entry to Ravello, but I will definitely return. BTW, although I didn't like Sorrento all that much (lots of tourists, large, jammed with cheap hotels), it was a very convenient place for day trips to most of the places you want to visit -- not only Pompei but Capri and Positano as well. Hope that helps.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Pam, thank you for your reply.

Instead of staying in Sorrento to go to Pompei, is there a reason we couldn't just stay in Pompei?

Thanks, inor
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 04:44 PM

Frankly, there's not much to Modern Pompeii -- it is not particularly attractive, and since it really is a short trip from any of the more enjoyable coastal towns, Ancient Pompeii is all ruins -- no place to stay there
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 05:10 PM

Don't miss Ravello. It is so beautiful and totally worth the bus ride from Amalfi to get there. We took the ferry to Amalfi from Positano and bus to Ravello - quite easy, actually. We have stayed in Sorrento and Positano and liked Positano better, more compact and a little less touristy. Do try to get Capri for at least a day - it is also quite remarkable. Enjoy!!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Inor, is renting a car a consideration? We stayed in Sorrento, took the ferry to Capri for a day trip, then spent the rest of the time driving the AC and taking in the different towns on day trips. I think having one town as our home base was pretty convenient, since all of the towns are so close together, anyway.

Shopping tip - Ravello's ceramics are off the charts.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 10:03 AM

As others have said, the towns along the Amalfi Coast are in close proximity to each other so it would be easier (and far nicer) to stay in one or two towns rather than traveling the length of the Coast just for diversity's sake.

I'd have to agree with others' recommendation of staying in Ravello for part of the time and in Positano for the rest. Sorrento and Salerno are fine but not outstanding and Capri has more than its fair share of tourists.

I don't know what kind of budget you have but hope that it's unlimited because hotels along the Amalfi Coast are very expensive - on the other hand, they are generally highly-rated, have wonderful restaurants, and spectacular views. Do have fritto misto di mare at one of the restaurants on the "beach" in Positano - it's the best I've ever eaten! Positano and Ravello are among the two most beautiful spots on earth so enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Inor,

Do not skip Ravello, it is the most wonderful place on the AC (IMO)

How are you arriving in Naples?

If it is the Airport and times suit, the easiest way to Sorrento is by bus (don't have my notes to hand but it is something like Cureri bus). very cheap and very convenient.

I would agree with Ira and visit Pompeii from Sorrento(again easy pissy).

Stay in Positano, Praino or Ravello and visit Salerno as a day trip from there. Amalfi (IMO) is also only worth a day trip and if you decide not to skip Ravello (OOH the views!) you would visit it in order to get the bus up the hill.

Agree with 2 days in Capri

Have a good trip
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Hi inor,
Just another opinion here. We spent 10 days on AC in May a year ago. We started in Naples (2 nights-one full day), went to the Arch Museum, saw veiled Christ. Then on to Pompeii for a three hour tour and then to Sorrento for a brief stop and ferry to Capri for three nights (loved it there). Then ferry back to Sorrento (ferry schedule prevented us from going directly to Poistano). Hired a driver who drove us down the coast stopping briefly along the way at Positano, Amalfi, etc. Then we spent the last nights in Ravello. Ravello is wonderful with such beautiful scenery. Now as you can tell, we did not have an "in-depth" stay anywhere but Capri and Ravello. Amalfi is so close to Ravello and there is bus service between the two so I don't think you need to stay in both places. This was one of my favorite trips ever. I would love to go back. Happy travels.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:06 AM

I am also planning a trip to the Amalfi coast in September. I am gathering information and would be interested in recommendations of where to stay in Napoli, Sorrento, Praino and Ravello (haven't decided between Praino and Ravello yet). How much time should I a lot to each town? Can l'isola d'Capri be done as a day trip or should one stay there? We will be renting a car in Napoli to have freedom to drive the coast and visit other towns along the way during stay. After visiting the Amalfi coast any recommendations of towns along the way back up to Rome that would be interesting to visit? I speak the language so am looking for some unique locations that are less touristy. Thanks!