Amalfi Coast Decisions Fall 2022

Old Nov 27th, 2021, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast Decisions Fall 2022

I read many of the threads on the AC and need a little help narrowing down my choices. Coming from the US and prior to a group tour to Sicily starting Oct 2, my friend and I want to visit the AC for approximately 2-3 nights. Neither of us wants to drive.
Questions:
1. After flying to Naples (as opposed to Rome, I assume), should we take the train or book a private driver from the airport? Wondering how crowded the train might be that time of year plus other concerns we should know about.
2. If we do take the train from the airport, then what? Private driver? Sita bus? Ferry?
3. Stay overnight in Amalfi or Positano or somewhere else?
4. Is it reasonable to squeeze in a visit to Crete for a few hours?
5. Would like to see Pompeii, if possible.

Thanks in advance for your reply and suggestions,
Pat

Old Nov 27th, 2021, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where will you be staying after you get off the plane? Multimodal transport to a hotel after a transatlantic flight with a change (in order to get to Naples airport) has too many failure points for a low anxiety day to occur. If you are staying in Naples vs Sorento vs Amalfi will change all the answers. Pompeii is easily visited from Naples or Sorento, as is Herculaneum, for instance, but neither towns are actually on the Amalfi coast.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Amalfi Caost Decisions Fall 2022

I was hoping to go directly from the airport to the Amalfi Coast. Are you suggesting we stay one night in Naples, see Pompeii and then head out?
Thanks,
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 04:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After a long flight (from the US?) to Naples, I think I'd want to get to my hotel or apartment as soon as possible. The quickest way is by car, but it won't be cheap, so it depends on your budget. The train from the centre of Naples is called the Circumvesuviana and will take you to Sorrento where it terminates. You'd still have to get to your choice of resort from there as well as finding your way into Naples from the airport. I wouldn't recommend walking around Pompeii for 4/5 hours after a long flight.
Maybe Sorrento would be a good choice of a place to stay, although it's not actually on the AC. You can get back to Pompeii on the train or down the AC on the SITA bus once you've had a good night's sleep.
When you say "Crete", do you mean Capri? You need to check the ferry schedules for your dates.

Old Nov 28th, 2021, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rubicund.
Wondering if flying to Rome and taking the train to Salerno is a better option especially since Salerno is closer to the AC. Then visit the AC and Capri (not Crete?) by ferry. Easier option?
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 12:06 PM

Having 2-3 nights before a tour doesn't give you much time to explore the Amalfi coast, especially if you want to make 1-2 day trips. Can you add a few more days? it would be worthwhile if you really want to explore the region. Amalfi Coast is not one spot - it's a long stretch of coast that includes many towns and is known for its scenery.

Where are you meeting your group tour to Sicily? That may also help you make a decision.

Assuming you were staying 3 nights, this is what I would do: after arrival in Naples, I would have a driver take me to Sorrento, where I would stay for the 3 nights. You could also take the train, but I'd pamper myself a bit and hire a driver. Sorrento is s a good base to stay and is a pretty town. Touristy, but so are the main towns of the Amalfi Coast. With only 2 days, you have to make a choice what is important to see.

Day trip options:
1) You can easily visit Pompeii from Sorrento, either by bus or train (Circumvesuviana, the local train between Naples and Sorrento.
2) Visit the Amalfi Coast from Sorrento by ferry! You could take the ferry to Positano - it's a wonderful way to travel. You can take it further to Amalfi as well, but Positano would probably give you the taste of AC you want. There are buses from Sorrento, too, but the ferry is a wonderful way to travel.
3) You could take a ferry to Capri from Sorrento as a day trip instead (I assume you mean Capri, not Crete. Crete is a large island that is part of Greece).

Old Nov 28th, 2021, 07:39 PM

I join with your opinion.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. 3 nights is possible. What do you think about flying into Rome and taking the train to Salerno?
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by PatLinn View Post
Thanks everyone. 3 nights is possible. What do you think about flying into Rome and taking the train to Salerno?
I donít think itís a good idea. Itís a 2-2 1/2 hour train ride and you still need to get to a town on the Amalfi Coast. Itís also on the far end of the coast and it would be more difficult to do the day trips youíre interested in. Remember, 3 nights is only 2 full days, so you still have to make a choice. Iíd still stay in Sorrento and visit the AC and see Pompeii from there.
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 08:08 PM

I would either find longer than 3 nights or spend those 3 nights in Sicily, perhaps somewhere where the tour doesn't go. The logistics will be so much easier if you travel directly to Sicily rather than to Naples and then from the Amalfi coast to Sicily. A lot of effort for a very limited time. Rome is in entirely the wrong direction so doesn't help you at all.
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you every one for all your responses. Now it's time to talk with my traveling companion and decide!. This forum never disappoints!
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 05:33 PM

We've taken the train to Salerno then taxi or boat to destination, but I strongly recommend Positano Car Service to meet you at Naples Airport and then take you to destination hotel.

Others often recommend staying in Sorrento; we personally prefer Ravello and stay there, but wherever you end up, I do recommend the car service after transatlantic flight. They wait for you with the sign, take you to where you need to go and deposit you at destination. Well worth the expense IME.
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Annw. Makes good sense.