Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast And What Else - 2 Weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 03:18 PM
Sue

We are planning a 2 week vacation in October for Almafi Coast & either Florence/Rome/Tuscany (in that area) OR do Almafi Coast & Sicily. We don't think two weeks just in Almafi Coast, or, in fact, do you need that long to really enjoy? Suggestions, please!

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 05:11 PM
Tom

Although I can't speak to Sicily, I suggest that a leisurely two-week vacation can include the Amalfi Coast/Capri (3-4 days), Rome (3-4 days), Florence
(2 days), Tuscany hill towns (3-4 days) of Siena, San Gimignano, Montalcino, etc. is manageable and easily traversible by bus, train, and/or car. By the way, what about Venice??

Old Nov 14th, 1997, 05:39 AM
Richard Graybill

Winter of '95 spend a great month in Italy. I like Tom's ideas, but you will want more time in Florence. Went to Sicily but don't if you only have two weeks. The time in Floence will be spent seeing some of the world's greatest art works, and shoping the street markest are great you can do next Christmas in the street markets, plus be sure to go the the Leather School for fine leather good. Have a great trip, e-mail if I can help any.

Old Nov 26th, 1997, 05:26 PM
Milton

We just returned from 6 weeks in Italy. Make sure you travel with Fred Plotkin's "Italy For The Gourmet Traveller" (or at least the relevant sections). In Ravello, you must go to Villa Cimbrone and see the gardens, and dine at Cumpa Cocina (or something like that) -- best meal we had in Italy. (get the pasta sampler) Be prepared for the "interesting" driving along the Amalfi coast! The above mentioned towns in Tuscany are great.
Do try to get to Venice, though. I'd definitely do that rather than Rome.

Old Nov 27th, 1997, 04:46 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sue, Tom has some great ideas, but the real answer
is not feasible without knowing more about you,your
budget, your ingress and egress points, and your
intent on driving versus trains. Start with the
parameters and then work toward your optimum
itinerary. It take about 6 weeks to see Italy well.
A 2 week trip means prioritizing and compromise.
However, skip Sicily this trip and max Tuscany.
Let me know if you need real planning detail.