Search

Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast

We are plannig a trip to Italy October 5th - 12th. We'll be in Rome for only the first night (to see a friend) and then on to the Amalfi Coast for 5 nights. We're flying back to the States from Naples. How far are Positano, Ravella and Capri from one another. Do we need a driver and anyone have any suggestions where to stay for our last night in Naples. We have a 7AM flight out in the am so it makes sense to stay there the nght before.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 07:51 AM

I think you mean Ravello, not Ravella (Ravella is in extreme northern Italy, nearly 900 Km from Positano).

Ravello is only 22 Km from Positano following the road along the coast. It's a decent, paved two-lane road, but some people find it scary to drive on, as it runs along a cliff, and has sheer drop-offs on the south side, often without guard rails. Huge tour buses come around the curves, spanning both lanes. I drove it in a rented car, carefully. Only you can decide if you want to drive it yourself.

Capri is also not far from Positano, but of course it's an Island, so you need to leave your car and take a boat.

The Amalfi Coast is beautiful, by the way. We loved our stay in Positano. But coming back after a day trip to Pompeii, we took the longer route via Amalfi instead of the shorter ride on the north side of the peninsula, in order to drive on the <i>inside</i> of the cliff.

I've never been to Naples.

- Larry
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Naples is great. Did it as a day trip as we were based in Sorrento. Took the local train (about 45 mins), walked around, ate in the market, took in a gallery. Very nice. Can't give advice of accommodation though.

I agree with the Amalfi Coast. You can get a tour bus, but you can get the local bus which goes to Positano and on further for very little and goes the same route as the tour bus but for much less. Capri is lovely v. expensive but a great day trip. The hydrofoil goes from Sorrento regularly and is alot of fun also. I don't think I would personally drive as the roads are very narrow and windy and you would spend too much time watching where you were going instead of admiring the view. Not to mention parking is a nightmare!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:26 AM
ira

Hi ad,

For Naples see http://www.albergosansevero.it/indexe.html

Do we need a driver ...

You might want one for your transfers to/from Naples. It would be about 90E each way.

You don't need one for the AC.

Your hotel will give you the schedules for the ferries to Capri.

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:42 AM

I know I'm in the minority...but we had a car during our stay in Massa Lubrense (near Sorrento) last month. A car alllowed us the freedom to explore at our own pace.

While I am sure that during the peak season, traffic is very heavy, we had no problem finding parking (course we had to pay)