Search

amalfi coast

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amalfi coast

I'm going to Amalfi Coast in late April. Can not decide where to stay: Amalfi or Positano. Has anyone been to Santa Caterina or Le Sirenuse? Are they worth the price?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 08:08 AM

Listening to all of the people I've met who've been in these 2 lovely places...Le Sirenuse wins by far. Plus it's right in the heart of Positano and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. "La Sponda" restaurant of the hotel is not to be missed...
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Visited Amalfi last year and found it very crowded and touristy. Based on comments from other friends, wish I'd gone to Positano instead.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:50 AM

On the other hand... I prefer Amalfi. Positano seemed more touristy to me - it is *only* about tourism & the centre of town is just boutiques. We didn't like it much. Amalfi is more like a real Italian town. The Santa Caterina is the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at.

Nowhere will be very crowded in April.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:22 AM

I have stayed at both and prefer the Santa Caterina. It is not in Amalfi, so you don’t have the any noise issues. It is about a 10 minute walk (downhill) to Amalfi from the hotel, they also have a shuttle. The hotel hugs the hillside above the water. I prefer to be right on the water and love the hotel paths which climb all over the hillsides through vineyards and lemon groves. Le Sirenuse is in the middle of Positano, and I think can be a bit noisy at night and in the mornings as Positano wakes up and goes to school, etc. It is quite a long walk down to the water and IMO their pool area is quite small and taken over by the restaurant. (Maybe not so much of a concern in April when it will still be quite cool.) Also, there is a problem with noise from above in the rooms, as there are no carpets in the rooms (as with all the hotels) and you can often hear the people above you walking around on the tile floors. I would say the overall the Sirenuse is a bit more luxurious, and they do have a very good (but small) spa. Not sure if the Santa Caterina has added one, although their health club has got to have one of the world’s best views from a health club. . .We had a lovely junior suite with a huge balcony with a great view at Le Sirenuse, but I still prefer the ocean views from the Santa Caterina. I also found the staff a bit more friendly and there are some Italians and other Europeans staying there as opposed to Le Sireneuse which is virtually entirely Americans. I like going to Positano for the day for shopping, but otherwise would stay at the Santa Caterina.