Amalfi Coast

Apr 18th, 1998, 10:40 PM
Tony

Amalfi Coast

We are planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast and would like to stay in Positano. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced, charming hotel?

Apr 19th, 1998, 04:24 AM
Sue

Can't believe I say your posting this morning. My husband and I are going to the Amalfi Coast this September. We have been debating going independently vs. a tour and, to my dismay, have decided to go with the tour because of the savings and my husband is worried about driving in Italy and the language barrier (we know NO Italian). Anyway, one of the reasons I am heartbroken to not go independently is because my heart was set on staying at "La Fenice" in Positano. It is supposed to be one of the best/charming places to stay - a real find and not expensive! It is in Karen Brown's book and Fodor's has just discovered it, so it soon will be one of the hot spots! The telephone number is 89/875-513. The place looks and sounds just wonderful. I plan to look it up when we go and "pretend" I'm staying there! Have a great time!

Apr 23rd, 1998, 10:15 PM
Barbara

Tony,

Ah, the secret is out! La Fenice is a gem and the owner, Costantino Mandara, is one of the nicest Italians you'll ever meet. We stayed there for the third time last spring for about $85 a night. If steps are not a problem, ask for one of the rooms below the road. All have spectacular views. Private beach, pool built into the side of the cliff. If you are traveling with another couple, there is a two bedroom suite that has a huge wrap-around terrace (our room). It is paradise. Walk to town is 5 minutes. Gardens breathtaking. Salmone the talking mynah bird is entertainment at breakfast over hot bread with Angela's homemade preserves and great latte. Say hello to Costantino for me.

Apr 25th, 1998, 09:48 AM
sue

Barbara:

I have decided I CAN'T give up staying at La Fenice and have to go independently and do what I want to do!!! The problem is, as stated before, we know NO italian, and while I have LaFenice's phone number -- they don't speak English do they? How do I check on making a reservation? HELP!
Sue

Apr 30th, 1998, 06:24 PM
Joanna White

Sue, don't worry about not speaking any Italian. Most tourists only know the very basics. I am sure La Fenice takes reservations from all over and would understand a booking reservation in English. Why not give it a try, it can't hurt. By the way, my friend and I travelled around Italy for two months - neither of us speaks Italian - and we got by just fine.