Reload this Page >

Am I Going To Make A Fool Of Myself?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2001, 09:57 AM
anonymous

Hi, I bought a Dutch phrase book & dictionary to familiarize myself with some Dutch words before my trip to The Netherlands. My question is: Am I going to make a fool of myself if I try to use some Dutch? I really have no idea how to "really" pronounce these words (there are phonetic spellings listed, so that's what I'll go by) and I certainly don't want to offend anyone! I know that the Dutch people speak perfect English and it isn't necessary to try to converse in their native language. I just would like to make the effort, as long as it won't be taken the wrong way (as an insult or something). Thanks.

Old May 20th, 2001, 10:02 AM
carol

I can't imagine how or why it could be taken as an insult. I think nice normal people will love it and it will be fun for you. <BR> <BR>I have found that the Dutch people I've met traveling (especially in Greece) spoke English VERY well, the best of any non-English people I've met while traveling.

Old May 20th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Ed

You'll find the Dutch appreciative of your efforts And you certainly won't offend anyone. <BR> <BR>Even though the Dutch may well speak English better, on the whole, than any other Europeans (except those from the UK of course) you'll find your (even limited) abilities useful and adding to your enjoyment of your visit.

Old May 20th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Deb

Anon, To make yourself more comfortable you should check out your local library to see if they have language tapes on dutch and then you can practice saying things correctly. I do this before every trip and it saves me from purchasing the tapes that I may not use again.

Old May 20th, 2001, 12:26 PM
JOdy

Go to <BR>www.travlang.com, click on foreign language lesson, pick your country, turn up your volume and choose your phrase, and the translation will be audible. At least it gives you some idea of the sounds. <BR>Havre fun!

Old May 21st, 2001, 08:40 AM
wietske

hello, i'm dutch and i liked too read your question. we love it when some body tries too speak dutch. when you come to Amsterdam,you'll find that help is everywhere available. We know that Dutch is difficult for foreigners. wish you great succes and fun.

Old May 21st, 2001, 10:29 AM
anonymous

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm especially happy that a Netherlander (sp) answered. I'm going to practice my Dutch right now!