Search

Am I a patriot?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I a patriot?

While I love to travel, these are the times when we all should consider spending our vacation money in the US. It would help the small businesses and the US economy in general. I am an emigrant but I love America and America needs help. All I am asking is to please to think about it.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fair enough.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 02:16 PM

I could not agree more!
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM

Having a "Made in USA" Christmas would be a good idea too.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM

All? Not everyone here is American.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM

This doesn't belong on the Europe board. Then again, we've got a freaking thread going about restaurants in NYC.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM

I fly American Flag carriers to Europe.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Yes, we are not all American.

There are many definitions of patriotism, by the way.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Apres Londee,

This does not belong on the European Board? Who are you to say? I think America is a free country and we can still say what ever we want to. Yes, Americans can travel wherever they want to. I did not ask them not to.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM

The Europe board is not the place to start a discussion about whether Americans should vacation at home. Take it to the Lounge or the US board.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. But I still think you have no right to lecture me. I wanted to be on the European board because I am European. Hope you can get over it.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM

I think we should pop into the US board and start a "Holiday in Europe" thread. Patriotic Europeans spend those Euro and Pounds at home. On second thoughts it sounds a bit silly.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM

Now is this the same Stephany who in October was planning a 30 to 40 days trip to Argentina leaving on the 1st of December? Surely not.

http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...or-seniors.cfm
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have been thinking about going to Argentina but obviously did not go. Why are you attacking me? I do not lie. This is not America I know.

We cannot keep on printing $ forever. Please go anywhere you want to. I am just saying that America and small businesses can use our help now. Is that such a horrible statement? Have I committed a crime by posting it?
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM

This free speech thing works two ways Stephany. You're in Florida are you not? Would you welcome us popping onto the US board and suggesting all Europeans travelling to Florida should consider staying in Europe instead? Would that be helpful to US business?

My apologies if I appeared unkind. I do believe you are sincere in your patriotism and were posting in that spirit. However posting it in the Europe board rather than the Lounge or US board does rather open you up to people pointing out the fairly obvious problems in your statements, not least of which was your own very recent desire to travel outwith the US.Once again I'm sorry you felt attacked. Happy travels whether they be near or far.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Stephany -- why ON EARTH is this posted here on the Europe forum???

The Lounge - sure. Might get some provocative responses. United States forum - OK, maybe. It wouldn't make sense on Asia or SA or the others either.

But why single out the Europe forum?? Makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever -- none.

You are a semi-newbie and maybe haven't been in the Lounge yet. That is where (semi-goofy) threads like this one belong . . . .
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Hey Well....

I'm from Florida. My family has lived here for almost 200 years. I think my state is completely over crowded and it would be just fine if tourists stayed home. Not necessarily the European tourists, they are ok. I'm talking about the snowbirds. Ok, Europeans too.

In fact, I'd like it if we tore up all of the 4 or 5 lousy expressways we have in the entire state, all they do is encourage people to get into traffic fights. I hate all of the 40 story condos along the beach. Even in my little town, I live on a lake that a few years ago only had about 6 houses on it, now 5 more have been built and 4 more are in the process.

To all of my European and Northern US friends, Florida is a horrible place. We don't have palm trees. Our beaches are all just dredged up mud because the real beaches washed away decades ago. Our oranges are so bad they are only used for juice. We killed off the coral reefs back in the 1990s. Everyone is old, can't see, but still drives around in 40 foot long RVs. All of the fresh fish you buy comes from either farms in Chile or China. And now we want a law passed to allow idiots to hunt bears.

Ah, that felt good. See ya'll in Italy in a couple of weeks.

dave
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM

Perhaps we should all go to Iceland, where the country has gone bankrupt?

I prefer to keep politics out of my travel. Do you also recommend no longer shopping at Walmart, that imports all those manufactured goods from China? Or no longer buy gas at Citgo...gas from Venezuela.

Sorry, while I may give you credit for wanting to do soemthing, just not going to work or make much sense.

It's a global economy, maybe some Europeans will say "boycott us and we'll go to Reading instead". Vicious circle, that.

Are you European or American...bit confused on this
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

weillidinknowhat,

no, you are not unkind.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM

No chance that I'll come to Florida Dave. Too many hurricanes, alligators and serial killers for my liking. I've seen it all on Dexter you know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -