Altitude Sickness Medication

Old May 12th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altitude Sickness Medication

I just got a prescription for Acetazolamide filled, to help prevent altitude sickness, as I intend to take the train to the top of the Jungfrau. The directions say I should start taking it a day or two before I experience high altitudes. However, given the uncertainty of visibility at the top of the Jungfrau,, I don't know which day I will head up the Jungfrau. Have any of you used this medication, and if so, any advice on using it? Should I just take it every day, (I'll be there for five days), since I don't know what day(s) I'll be going to the really high altitudes?

Thanks for your help with this.
Old May 12th, 2014, 04:33 PM

We took diamox in Peru but not Switzerland. I am not a doctor so take this for what it's worth. From my understanding there is little risk associated with taking the medication a couple of days too early. But you may not want to experience the possible side effects for no benefit if your ascent is delayed.

Again, not a doc.
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:19 PM

you should definitely discuss this with your doctor rather than self-medicate or ask others who do not know your medical history.
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:50 PM

Have you a particular reason for thinking you'll be susceptible to altitude sickness?

It's easy to obsess about such things, but in reality, when I went up the Jungfrau, whilst I could sense the air was much thinner, it was no big deal.

I wouldn't want to run a marathon up there, but if you take it easy, it's not necessarily an issue for a normal, reasonably fit person at all. In fact, working at home at a sedentary desk job, I probably barely qualify as 'reasonably' fit these days! ;0)
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:34 AM

Unless you have heart trouble or plan to stay up there for a long time, the worst you are likely to experience is a headache. The height is roughly the same as many places you can drive to in Rocky Mountain National Park, for example, where the highest road passes are something over 12,000 feet. Stay well hydrated.

But talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:41 AM

Unless you know you will have a problem there's no need to use it. It isn't as if you are intending to climb the Jungfrau and I am pretty certain the locals have had a bit of experience with the odd person who suffers more than a slight headache