Alsace or Dordogne?

Sep 30th, 2000, 11:49 AM
Ned

Alsace or Dordogne?

Tough call time! Anyone been to both the Alsace and the Dordogne? I'll only have time for one or the other, and so far I'm torn. (If it makes any difference, I'll be bringing my four-year old with me.)

Also, does anyone of any public transportation from Colmar to the castle of Haut Koenigsburg?

Sep 30th, 2000, 10:11 PM
Marilyn

Ned: Alsace is more compact, probably easier to get around. Dordogne is more spread out. Alsace is much more crowded with tourists than Dordogne. Alsace might appeal more to a four year old.
Dordogne has many interesting caves and history. Alsace is really crowded with tourists, but it very easy to get into Germany from Alsace and the black forest in Germany is gorgeous and close by. We have been to Alsace three times and Dordogne only once. It is hard to compare them. They are quite different. I envy you. I wish I were going to France now. Good luck and have fun!

Oct 1st, 2000, 03:50 PM
John

Ned, what time of year? We've been in the Dordogne in early spring when some of the rivers can flood; we were in Alsace in the early autumn and thought we'd freeze our choucroutes off. Marilyn's points about tourism congestion in Alsace are true, but the Dordogne isn't exactly empty, either, especially in mid-summer. A car would be a very good idea in either area. The Dordogne area is a magical series of river valleys and drop-dead gorgeous villages; the wine country of Alsace a string of beautiful medieval villages amidst well-tended vinyards. Pick 'em. Whichever you choose, the food will be better than you can imagine, no matter how good your imagination is. Your child will be adored by all.

We drove to Haut Koenigsburg and parked amidst enough tour buses that I'd be amazed if you couldn't arrange a day trip from Colmar.

Oct 1st, 2000, 06:13 PM
Austin

Ned---

In your whole life this should be your worst problem!

They are both wonderful places and I have visited both many times

I believe Alsace offers better and far more varied food

But Dordogne has the rivers and that certain feeling----ahhh never mind--no one in their right mind could advise you on this go to one then have the other to look forward to---you cant lose either way

AH

Search this Thread