Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alpine experience in South east Switzerland

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling from Salzburg to Lake Como area. We would like to spot one or 2 nights in the south east corner of Switzerland. I had thought St. Mortiz was a good choice until I saw pictures. Is there any place in this region that offers Alpine villages similar to the Jungfrau?
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 07:24 AM

You want the road from Landeck via the Engadine valley, but it is not a long drive--perhaps 5 hours total. I would stay either near Scuol or further down the valley near Pontresina.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 07:29 AM

The alpine villages in the area have a different style than in the Jungfrau region. The houses are built of stones, covered with sgraffiti and frescos, but also have flower boxes and wooden interior. IMO these villages are still more charming than in the Jungfrau region, especially because the houses form small squares with fountains and narrow alleys paved with cobblestones.

Guarda (Hotel Meisser is not to beat), Ardez, Sent are the most famous examples - all in the Lower Engadine - Scuol is a little larger (charming too, just a little more busy and with a great spa).

Closer to St. Moritz the villages lose something from their original ambience (and architecture), but Zuoz is still a very good place for a stop.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

This area does look good. I was looking for specific recommendation for a walk/hike in the mountains, not too difficult. A walk where you can hear the cow bells in the distance, may past a small hamlet! Any recommendations??
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:37 AM

It depends on the month. In May/June and Sept/Oct the cows are near the villages, in July/August higher up.

For summer: Near St. Moritz - take the cable car from Sils up to Furtschellas. Hike from there via viewing point Marmore down to Fex valley (Hotel Fex) and from there back to Sils. Total hiking time 2.5 - 3 hours. You can also take the horse-drawn carriage back to Sils from the several hamlets in the Fex Valley.

Near Scuol: From Guarda into the Tuoi Valley - at least till Alp Suot, maybe all the way up to the mountain hut Tuoi, back via Alp Sura. first option 2 hours, the longer (with the hut) 2 hours more.

There are plenty more wonderful, easy hikes. First you need to make the decision on where to stay.