Search

Almost Perfect Itinerary ! But !!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost Perfect Itinerary ! But !!

Hi Guys
To start with I believe I have made a decent travel plans for 3 weeks that includes air time as compare to my pervious Europe trips. Since I learned as I traveled and I realized that one can't see Europe in One Trip. Traveling with my husband and 8 year old daughter.
Flying from US to Madrid end of May for 4 days, Firstly, should I take a 2 half day trips to Toledo and Segovia or simply stay in Madrid and enjoy the city itself.
Take a train to Barcelona for 4 days, do the basic museums, sight seeing, landmarks and all the good stuff.
Take a train to Tossa Del Mar for 3 days staying right on the beach. Secondly, Can I do the day trips by ferry like in Amalfi Coast or I have a take a bus for stop?

Now, this is the tricky part, I have booked 4 nights in Paris. I don't want to backtrack to Barcelona and waste my day in the train to Paris or Fly our of it. Since I'll be close to the border with France, thirdly, Can I take a train from Perprgran (border town in France) to Paris?
From there 5 night to Lake Maggoire, Strea. I am Planning to take a nightly Thello train from Paris to Milan to an hour train to Stresa. And fly our of Milan at the end of the vacation.
Fourthly, Since the night train to Milan won't leave till 8 in the evening, I'll be spending 5 days in Paris. I am debating that should I rebook the hotel for 3 nights and keep the belongings in the hotel and take the train later in the evening.
I can have 6 nights in Stresa, I can take a day trip to Cinque Teree, Lake Como.
Is all that doable or I need to make changes? All of yours valuable advice will help me make my trip better. thanks .
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 03:01 PM

"Can I take a train from Perprgran (border town in France) to Paris?"
You can, but it will take between 5 and 5-1/2 hours, depending on which train you select.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 03:21 PM

Barcelona to Tossa Del Mar you take a train to Blanes and then a bus or taxi. From Madrid, I would look into heading to Tossa Del Mar first, then to Barcelona. From there to Paris, non-stop flights take a couple of hours.

Check train times from Stressa, using italian city names:

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...005817f90aRCRD

Be aware that the Thello trains get very bad reviews.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 03:25 PM

Putting two s's in Stresa implies being under stress and needing a trip to Italy.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

@Robert, great, will do that, sine hotel checking time in Paris around 2 pm.

@Ronz, not a bad idea to go to Costa Brava from Madrid and than to Barcelona, but hate to fly again, and prefer scenic trains to plane. And yes, can't go home without visiting Italy. That is The Stres(a) Reliever

again, should I do the 2 half day trips or stay in Madrid only?
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 05:30 PM

Actually a train from Barcelona to Paris is preferable, taking about 6.5 hours, which is a lot less time and hassle than a flight with the included transportation and waiting times.

No one can advise you re day trips, it all depends on your interests.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

@Ronz, let me re phrase it again, since this is my first trip to Spain, are these places worth seeing to leave Madrid , since it has the best sights, activities, attractions, museums, attractios...thanks
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loved Toledo, didn't care so much for Madrid, so I would recommend the day trips.

For European train schedules use bahn.de and for info on buying tickets see seat61.com
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 06:40 PM

Is it worth leaving Madrid to see Toledo? Yes! Yes! Yes!

First it is a beautiful walled city, a warren of narrow streets. Second, it has one of the most magnificent cathedrals in the world. Third, it has a wonderful collection of El Greco paintings. Fourth, Toledo is also know for marzipan (along with swords and metal work), so look for their beautiful candies.

I even think it is worth it to also see Segovia, just to see a different small city with a pretty square, a stunning Roman Aqueduct, Isabel's castle and a historic church.

You still have two days in Madrid to see the Prado and a second museum, the palace and the park, and some wandering in the evening.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:22 PM

If you happen to have an interest n architecture, the Presidential Palace in Madrid is one of the finest in Europe.
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

@thursdaysd ,@Sassafrass, thanks guys, make it so easy...done deal !! day trips are on and I still have 2 days to explore Madrid.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 04:28 AM

>>>I can have 6 nights in Stresa, I can take a day trip to Cinque Teree, Lake Como.
Is all that doable or I need to make changes? <<

You cannot comfortably daytrip to le Cinque Terre from Stresa. It would be close to 4 hours on the train, each way. To get to Lago di Como is more than 2 hours each way.

If you have not booked your train from Paris to Milan and want to see the Italian Riviera, consider instead taking the train from Paris to Torino (5 hours, but mildly scenic), and from there taking a train to seaside. It is a shorter trip if you stay in Camogli or Santa Margherita Ligure rather than le Cinque Terre, and then easier to get back to Milan from there as well.

From Stresa, it is an easy bus ride to Malpensa airport (but you must ask your hotel to reserve a seat on the bus 24 hrs in advance). If you prefer and have the money, you can also end your trip in Lago di Como and have a driver take you to the airport for your flight (approx 120e)

Personally, at the end of May, I would give the Italian Riviera a miss and focus instead on the lakes. If you want to stay with your overnight train from Paris to Milan, consider switching instead to a train for Lago di Como for 3 or 4 nights. Then relocate to Stresa for the final nights. (You can use the ferries and trains to get there).
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 06:18 AM

For me flights are better than trains between countries. Madrid is very nice for museums (Prado, Thyssen, Reina Sofia and of course Royal Palace), Barcelona for Sagrada Familia church, Gaudi houses and more, Why not Cadaques for beach ?
For Italy : be sure Cinque Terre is far for the lakes so you need time to include both.
have a good trip
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Frankly, when you DECLARE that one city has "the best" and then you list them and simultaneously ask about going somewhere else I get worried.

IMO, Madrid is great but it does not necessarily have the best of everything.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 08:50 AM

Toledo, Segovia, Avila, etc. are all DAY trips from Madrid, it wouldn't make sense to try to do that in half a day.

Tossa de Mar - Paris: take a taxi or a bus (with change at LLoret) to Girona and board your Paris bound TGV there. Girona dp 10.06 and 17.06 - Paris ar 15.54 and 22.45

Paris - Stresa:
fastest train connection: Paris dp 15.09 - Stresa ar 21.38; change at Geneva
later departures from Paris:
Paris dp 17.56 - Lausanne ar 21.37, sleep at Lausanne, dp 6.17 - Stresa ar 8.38
Paris dp 18.21 - Basel ar 21.26, sleep at Basel, dp 6.31 - Stresa ar 9.38
Thello: Paris dp 19.59 - Stresa ar 8.37, change at Milan

Lake Maggiore is a beautiful lake, with tons of splendic botanical gardens, 4 Islands (1 of them with a outstanding palace and a huge subtropical garden) 3-4 gondolas to viewpoints (Alps from Mont Blanc - Gran Paradiso - Matterhorn up to Bernina - Ortler), buses to mountain valleys and mountain villages, 3 famous sanctaries in the area, etc.
There is by far enough to do for 5 days and there would be no need to go to somewhat similar Lake Como too, but if you want to do so, there are tons of scenic itineraries, like boat from Stresa to Laveno plus train to Como, boat, train and bus via Lugano (extremely scenic), etc.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

@neckervd, thanks a ton for the train info to Paris and and can't wait to see stresa. I would definitely tour one or two towns outside Madrid and perhaps leave early and finish it by late after noon.
I opted for stresa because surprisingly front lake hotels in bellagio are sold out. I have been to lake Garda and loved it.

I have booked hotel urban in Madrid, hotel casa camper in Barcelona, le notre dame saint Michel in Paris and las palmas in stresa.
And hotel Diane in tossa del mar.
Are these hotels in safe and fun nineighborhoods? I have time I can rebook if I get a better option. Thanks again !
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 12:21 PM

Stresa for six nights? Seems way too many for the average person even though Lake Maggiore has enough delights around it for 2-3 days. Maybe split it up - with the Cinquye Terre or Lake Como from a base other than Bellagio - lots of train Perpignan to Paris - for discounted tickets book way way in advance - www.capitainetrain.com is the consensus recommended site to do this.

For lots of great info on European trains check these IMO superb sources: www.seat61.com (great info on discounted tickets); www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 12:35 PM

Regarding Madrid , yes the Urban has a great location. I dont think 4 nights in Madrid is too much. I think if you have never been there you'll have plenty to occupy your time without daytrips. But nothing wrong either with going to Toledo one day as its very interesting.

Since you're going in May hopefully weather will be lovely. Spend some time in Retiro park, you can even rent a rowboat on the lake. Your daughter might enjoy that.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 08:32 PM

Bookmarking.
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 11:10 PM

Paris hotel choice is fine, great location. For a Seine cruise, look of the schedules for Vedettes de Pont Neuf, which is close by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -