Search

"Almost French"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Almost French"

For anyone interested in France, French culture, or life as an expat I can highly recommend the book "Almost French" by Sarah Turnbull. Just read it and it was not only very interesting reading but had a great deal of insight into many French customs, ways of doing things, etc. Especially reading the parts where she talks about French dress/clothing I couldn't help think of all the Fodors threads about how to dress when in Europe. It recently came out in paperback, defiitly worthwhile reading.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 10:30 AM

I really enjoyed that book too. Actually one of the best I've read on Paris.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 12:00 PM

I just finished the book and agree with the other posters. It was charming and covered a lot of questions posted here.
I also recommend "French Toast" by Harriet Welty Rochefort and "Savoir Flair" by Polly Platt. Both books are written by Americans married to Frenchmen and are full of helpful tips on how to bridge the cultural gaps.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:35 AM

What a hoot! Could NOT put it down. Loved the part soon after the marrige when she wasn't feeling well and slipped on a jogging suit to run a few doors down to the bakery and DH said: NON! That is just not done. It would reflect badly on: her, him, the bakery, Paris and The Republic. He is such a nice guy but he was dead serious.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:47 PM
laurensuite

Yes, I have read the book also. I believe that the "dead serious" element of his is what the core values of France at least used to stand for. French women in the past would never have allowed themselves to be seen in the street in sweat suits, or not at least in reasonable unkeep. I do not believe it is as thoroughly practiced today, given that the children probably will not wake up at the crack of dawn to work religiously at a craft either, for the most part in the future.
I liked the old way. I do not like what I see in Walmart in the early a.m.
I see it as the erosion of early american culture, morality, taste, and courtesy. I like the fight for old values, respect for others, proper dress. People used to go to the ball games in Coats and Ties. When I went to high school, a female had to wear a skirt or dress, no pants allowed. Men could not wear jeans, and had to wear a collared shirt. It was a good thing, and it taught respect, cleanliness, responsibility and tradition.
Europe is still fighting the battle.
We have lost that one.