ALMALFI CAR SERVICE

Search

ALMALFI CAR SERVICE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALMALFI CAR SERVICE

Help! I need to find the email address of our Amalfi Coast driver we had 2 years ago. Senior Monetti. He was wonderful. Someone on "Fodors talk" graciously gave us his email and I've lost his card. Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 03:01 PM

I just topped the thead for you. Just put monetti in the search box and there it is, for future ref.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:14 PM

You can reach Mr. Monetti at [email protected]. We used his service for the Amalfi Coast drive 2 years ago. If Emellio is available, request him...He was the BEST!! Spoke wonderful english and knew everone along the way and made our trip so much fun. Was one of our fondest memories of Italy. Can't reccomend him enough!
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much SeaUrchin. Much appreciated!
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JanetB! Great info as well.
I can't thank you and SeaUrchin enough!
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Carmen Monetti? With the e l a s t i c taxi? This gentleman was our driver along the Amalfi in 2000 from the Hotel Minerva in Sorrento to the Hotel Rufulo in Ravello. Our leisurely drive thru and around the towns was spectacular! We highly recommend this service.

Tracy& Curt
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:28 AM

I'm considering using a car service as well, but have some questions / concerns. I think the only two options for when we will be there are bus or a car service (not going to drive and not aware of trains connecting the towns...are there?).

My concern is that if we hire out a driver we lose much of the ability to see and do what we want.

If we want to do some roaming by foot in Amalfi Town or have a few cocktails in Salerno, do we lose this ability by having a driver waiting on us or having a driver with a pre-determined agenda for us?

What are the pluses and minuses of a car service vs. taking the bus?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:58 AM

Md - If you're spending so much for a driver (- € 300-350+ for a day), it's YOU sets the agenda, not him - isn't it?

Personally I can never justify that kind of money when you can get an all-day Amalfi Coast bus pass for about € 6.

Or use the ferries. Much more fun

Steve
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Steve,
Thanks for the reply.

I had thought about using the ferries, but everything I read says that they run infrequently or not at all during the off-season. The offseason appears to be about October through May...we'll be there in April.

I've found some websites that give times for the ferries but even those reference 'high season.' I'm reluctant to plan my trip around them not knowing if they are running.

I had wanted to take one from Naples to Sorrento but am now even thinking that the train is how I'll do that. It does sound fun to get on one of those hydrofoils though.

Do you have any first hand knowledge of which ferries run in the offseason?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:41 AM

The good part about hiring a driver is that you don't have to wait for the buses to come. They may be filled when they drive right past you. You will have alot of other tourists and locals at your stop and you have to push your way onto the bus, usually. Also if you get stuck somewhere after the ferries or buses stop you have a ride. The taxi fares from city to city are expensive.

A driver can take you to out of the way places, such as towns on the mountainside, scenic backroads, hidden restaurants and villages and wait for you while you walk around.

They can give you good suggestions on where you might like to go and you can decide for yourselves. Especially if you have a small group or family or even a couple the money would be worth it to me, at least once in a life.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:53 AM

Md - The ferries will be running in April - weather permitting.

When the service restarts you will find the new 2006 timetable posted on:

http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr...i/costiera.asp

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Thanks Steve...I'll keep my eyes on the schedules.