Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

All Set For Nov 2010 and April/May 2011!!

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of you know that I had to cancel my month of February and May 2010 due to some health problems within my family. We have a handle on that now and I have made all my reservations for the month of November along with air tickets.

I have just now made my plans for mid April to mid May 2011. Too early for air and no hurry for it, either. I think I like the combination of these two time periods. Last November was unseasonably warm..can't expect that every year! The cold arrived just before I left in mid December.

I can also get together with friends who like the April/May time periods.

I am already busy making various plans for both trips...think I will do day trip to Dijon for lunch etc. Will see how plafield likes doing it. I do need to go to Alsace,..Riquewhir.. and spend some time with friends there in their beautiful places, too.

So, friends, do some planning and join me in Pars in Nov or April/May 2011. Always a lot of fun!!

a bientot.....

Joan
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Hi Joan...so glad you have things worked out for your return to Paris...I'm so excited for you and hope that maybe something will work out and I can be in Paris one of the times you are there. So far the only travel we have in the works is Spain for New Year's to help a friend celebrate a big birthday. Hope you can make it to Riquewhir...we did only a day there last year after we attended a wedding in Baden-Baden...would love to make another trip there sometime in the future. Can't wait to hear more about your Paris plans...always great reading.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 07:59 AM
tod

Aaah Joan! Good to hear you have something definite in the pipeline - I love looking forward to time spent in Paris even if its months away!
Peter & I will certainly be eating at some of your old favourites in the 7th during our July time in Paris and if we miss out on one or the other will have time to go back when we return from Canada to spend another 7 nights in Paris!
I have thought about a GTG and hope you could suggest a venue that wouldn't break the bank but would be delightful on the palate also?
Great news from you - thanks for letting us know!
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

tod..

Au Petit Sud Ouest on Bourdonnais

http://tinyurl.com/yhgstxz

A good spot..reasonable..nice, nice people..she speaks English well and I'm sure you could work something out.Look at the English menu online....that grande salade is easily enough to share with someone...casual..

We had a small gathering there in early December.

I fact, I need to ask Kerouac to join me there when in Paris in Nov. I had mentioned it previously and I think he looked at the menu and thought it looked good, too..along with being reasonable...

Hope to see others in N ov or in the spring of 2011.....

a bientot...

Joan
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Hurrah Joan, your plans are made..I have had so many helpful suggestions and replies from you with my many" first timer " questions, so I know you have a great plan ahead...

Hopefully I can convince Mr. to try a late/fall-early winter trip and we can have a toast in Paris!

a beintot..
(one of the many phrases you passed along!)
FP
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

flowerpower,

Late fall/early winter is a good time to go..lower rates and the Christmas decorations are quite special!

You are from someplace in GA? I live in Asheville, NC. Fly our of ATL, of course!

a bientot...

Joan
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:44 AM
tod

Hi Joan, Please help a dithering female.......me. I can't seem to find the Petit Sud Ouest menu. I've clicked on everything appearing on the screen - even 'Restaurant' and nothing happens.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

hi tod

use the french site:
http://www.au-petit-sud-ouest.fr/
click on restaurant in 75007..maybe more than once..you will see last item is carte in english

Look at all items..the salads..the grande one is excellent..easily for two..same menu lunch/dinner..good inexpensive wines..also expensive ones...daily 'menu'and you can order items to take out.. let me know if you hav a problem with this now...

Joan
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 07:35 PM

Dear Joan,

I know this is repetitive....but thank you for all your posts. You are always gracious and kind.

My wife and I are celebrating our 30th for a week in Paris beginning the end of April 2011 at the PP Champaign apartment. This is my first trip to Paris and her first trip since she was 16. After Paris we then go off to Scotland to visit my birthplace.

You had a big part in my decision to stay in the PP apartment. Thanks. I look forward to continuing my “Fodorite List of Suggestions” from you and other contributors.

Oh and one last thing….I do not suffer from vacation OCD. Really. I just love thinking and learning about places we go on vacation. My wife may have a different opinion about the OCD. ;-)

Dave
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM

If it were me, I'd start shopping air fares for April 2011 as soon as seats go on sale for your dates. I'm guessing fares will go up considerably once the airlines get around to adjusting fares to cover their losses from the current volcano disaster. When fuel prices rose, fares rose, and didn't go back down along with fuel prices. Then, baggage fees were added. Just a thought.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 05:53 AM

I have the date marked on my calendar....330 days from departure. That is the day I can book my miles tickets. That will mean getting on the computer at 12:01AM. If I don't get the miles tickets...it will add anohter $2,000 to the trip. There are much better ways to spend that money.

When I do have to buy tickets I set up Kayak to send me daily lowest fare emails. But you are right dj...I don't think fares are going to be dropping anytime soon unless the economy does a double dip and demand significantly drops.

Dave
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

DaveMM,

You will certainly enjoy the Champagne apartment. Everyone does. Most spend a lot more time in their apartment. You can even pick up meals from great area restaurants along with Davoli etc. and return to your apt. and dine with the ET in front of you! Not all bad! I'm sure you have already put together your restaurant list.

I will be in Paris mid April - mid May in 2011. I will also be watching for fares when available. From Asheville I shuttle to ATL and then it is Delta/Air France. I used FF for my Nov. tickets, so will see what I have for next Spring. I can us the 'Pay with Miles' thing that they have. I also usually cash in whatever accumultated rebates on Capital One.I'm sure there will be price increases, thanks to the volcano!

Enjoy your planning...a bientot...Joan
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Joan,

I just booked a quick trip in November - the 8th through the 12th. Any chance for a get-together? Anyone else be there then?
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

fbc34,

Another gal from near Green Bay will be arriving the 2nd or 3rd. We did some dining together last year.

email me at [email protected] and we can talk more.

Joan