Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

All-Family trip - Bellagio or Locarno - hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 seniors, 1 couple, 1 adult brother, 1 8-year old. We all need a stress-free trip before brother's wedding in Stockholm, and plan for Bellagio or Locarno,

Which would you choose for:

1) Easiest to arrive in - seniors in the party not crazy about hassles and connections, and lugging luggage

2) Total relaxation scale: beautiful town, scenery, easy walking distances, recreation

3) Hotels - would like to stay at the Belvedere in Bellagio, concerned about uphill walk for seniors and have seen messages about the pool being cold. Don't want to be too fussy, but a pool is key.

Anyone have advice about the BW Imperiale at Moltrasio/Como? Seems like a good idea, but prices seem too good to be true. Are they?

Any advice on Bellagio vs. Locarno, and the Hotel Belvedere, are much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:10 AM
JonJon

Well, unless you are DRIVING to Bellagio or dropping in by private helicopter your "arrival" issues may become significant...otherwise it is by train and ferry.

"Easy walking distances" depending on how YOU define the term 'easy' be aware that Bellagio is somewhat hilly....off the "main" lakeside 'street' there are lots of stairways upwards to the various shops; the Belevdere more or less overlooks the town..it is not at the lakeside but apparently you already know that.
I do hope this helps a little. personally I think this area of Lake Como is the best, as opposed to staying down in Como iteself, but others may disagree.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Hi DeepDish,

Sorry I've never actually done this, but I've read some threads on this topic. I think you may want to invest in a private driver to Bellagio for about 70-90E from the Milan airport. Here's a link (I hope) to a thread with this discussion.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34437124

I don't think you can do this both easily and cheaply; you're going to have to compromise somewhere.

One consideration would be to fly into Zurich and train down to Locarno -- no stress and no fuss as the train station is in the basement of the airport and you can check your bags for about 13 chf each. But the train ride will be about 3.30 hours, so your investment will be **time.**

If you want the ultimate in ease, you can buy special tags (and customs documents) from Rail Europe for $20 each, and you check your bags at your US airport and pick them up again at your Swiss destination. Look at www.raileurope.com, then go to "Swiss Products" and "Fly Rail Luggage."

If you want to check out Locarno, I know one poster who loved the village of Minusio just outside Locarno -- small and lovely and walkable from Locarno.

Have fun -- let me know if I can help further.

s
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:03 PM

(Hi S) Good recommendations so far. First you should tell us WHEN will you travel? Many hotels are closed during winter season.

Locarno seems to be more convenient at first sight for me. Some good hotels near the railway station and by the lake there.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:44 PM

DeepDish, We flew into Milan and rented a car (you may need a van) and drove to Bellagio. The road is narrow around the Lake, but you won't have to drive too far. We stayed at the Grand Hotel Serbelloni near the dock (rather expensive but wonderful). You can take the ferry all around the lake and visit the areas that most attract you. It is breathtakingly beautiful, relaxing, like heaven. Imagine sitting near a pristine lake surrounded by gorgeous mountains and villas. The seniors may enjoy ferrying around more than walking some of the hilly villages. However, Bellagio has a lovely park on the water. The younger couple may like to visit Villa Carlotta, Menaggio, and Varenna.
Another question already asked - what time of year are you going? May through October is lovely. I have also been to Locarno. It is very nice but Bellagio has my heart.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Hello - and thank you all for your advice. We're travelling at the end of May/start of June. I think Bellagio might win out on pure beauty and aesthetics, but Locarno (while I'm sure, lovely) might win convenience. Thanks again (in advance) for continued good advice.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Belvedere is a great hotel but it is quite a walk uphill from the ferry. Bellagio is built on a hillside so regardless of where you stay you will be walking up and down steps on a regular basis. If you arrive by car, they could drop you at the Belvedere of course but if you arrive by ferry you must either walk up hill or attempt to find a taxi to take you up. We were there in September and the pool water was a bit cold.