ALITALIA--What's new?

Search

ALITALIA--What's new?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALITALIA--What's new?

So, what's the latest rant or rave about Alitalia Airlines? Should I still avoid it like the plague or have things improved? I have a chance to go to Rome sort of last minute for two weeks, and it appears that alitala has the cheapest direct flight from Chicago to Rome. Should I go for it or stay away. Any new experiences or impressions to report?
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/...fx4967964.html

I'm not sure how to interpret this news, but I guess it's positive.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Jean, thanks for the link, but I'm not sure exactly how to interpret it and am still confused.
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Strictly my own interpretation: LH may be willing to buy minority stake IF AlItalia sheds some money-losing operations.

Well, that's been part of the problem and so far it and/or its various component parts haven't done that or refused to do it. They should have enough funds to last the month, but after that I'd be skeptical unless something more concrete develops than what's discussed in that article. I don't know what your "last minute" means in terms of time frame, and I haven't seen anything new in terms of service, etc.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM

I wouldn't get on another Alitalia flight if they gave it to me for free.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:15 AM

I think this quote tells you all you need to know:

<i>The newspaper said if conditions change significantly, with Alitalia getting rid of its troubled operations, Lufthansa could take a role as a strong industrial partner.</i>

They already had a deal to sell the airline and it folded because nobody is willing to accept changes, so I don't see why this would be different.

I also ask just how much cheaper are we talking? Aside from the risk of collapse, there is still the fact that Alitalia kind of stinks. I would pay at least $100 more to fly on a better carrier.
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Guess it looks like things have not improved very much. Is it risky if I schedule a flight before the end of this month? It seems somewhat difficult to get a direct flight from Chicago to Rome, except with alitalia.

Has anyone had &quot;acceptable&quot; or somewhat decent experience with them in the past year?? Basically, I think what I'm understanding here is that I should pass on alitalia and go with another carrier, even if it means one stop and costs a little more.

Will keep you up to date.
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM

While I hesitate to tell you to do it, I would at least consider gambling on a flight before the end of the month, but it is a gamble, and you aren't likely to be able to get travel insurance to cover them, as they are on so many watchlists.

As for how bad it is, it comes down to how much you hate connecting. Myself, I don't mind it, as long as the connection is relatively short, while others will do anything to avoid it. In my experience, however, the Alitalia planes tend to be a bit ratty, the food can be poor, and the staff don't really seem interested in taking care of you. They were the worst trans-Atlantic experience I have had in the past couple of years, finishing behind NW, Delta, BA, Continental, and AA. But, to be fair, it isn't the end of the world, and I flew them a couple of times last year (once trans-Atlantic and once Europe to Egypt), when they were hundreds of dollars cheaper.
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Somewhere around here, you can find several of my pre-trip freak-out posts regarding Alitalia. We almost rearranged our entire trip, just to avoid using them.

I just flew Alitalia this past week, and here's my experience:

From CDG to FCO -- On time; lots of legroom; on-board staff were very pleasant; pretty decent little sandwich and amaretto cookie, I thought; and our two bags arrived. I was already thinking how I would post and defend Alitalia's honor to all the naysayers.

From FCO to CDG -- We had to talk to three different check-in agents (and had to go to two entirely different terminals) before we found someone who even knew what flight we were talking about. Once we had our boarding passes, we had to go back to the original terminal to get to the gate. The flight was on time; pleasant staff again; little sandwich was okay, but no cookie; still plenty of legroom.

Here's the kicker -- When we went to baggage claim at CDG, someone came out to tell us that NOT ONE SINGLE PIECE OF LUGGAGE FROM OUR FLIGHT was actually put on board in Rome. Every single piece of luggage would arrive on the next flight, which showed up two hours later (one hour after scheduled arrival). For us, it was no biggie. We stayed at the airport and lost only a few hours of sightseeing time, but there were many people who were connecting to other flights/trains. Who knows if they ever got their bags.

I just have never heard of such a thing. I never did find out if they just forget the entire flight of luggage, or just didn't feel like loading it in Rome. Go figure!

In conclusion, I would not book a flight on Alitalia, and I would keep a very close eye on the situation if you have an existing ticket.
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

So, if Alitala is out, do you have any favorite airlines from flying from America to Europe (Italy)? It appears that I have more affordable, last-minute choices than I first thought. And further, are there any objections to flying over on one airline and back on another? Thanks again for your thoughts and observations.
Old May 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Our last 2 trips (Italy; then Germany/Czech Republic/Austria) have been on LH. Very acceptable. Actually decent food, free drinks, wine, all of which was plentiful; very efficient friendly staff. Even got luggage when we ended up with a late flight and had only 15 minutes to make a connection in MUC. Only complaint I've heard is that (at least on the A340s) no individual screens for IFE, but we read and/or sleep so it wasn't a big deal to us.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM

If flying to Rome non-stop from ORD is important to you, then look at AA. Although the planes/flights/personnel are no better than the rest, we've never had lost or delayed luggage which is one of my primary concerns, along with, of course, getting there in one piece. However, their fares will probably not be the cheapest unless they announce some kind of sale.
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:00 PM

If you go and have a connection, take a carry on with at least 4 days of clothing. We went to Naples, via Rome last summer, and our lugggage was not there when we arrived. My suitcase was found in 2 days, my boyfriend had to endure 10 days without his personal effects.
When we returned to the Naples airport, I said l we should go back to the luggage area and see if we could find the missing suitcase.
After about 30 minutes of haggling with the Alitalia rep at the lugggage window (we had only 45 mintes to get on the plane home), we were granted access to the storage area.
There it was, the big blue brand new suitcase, gathering dust in the first bin we saw. Need I say more?
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Ciao missjane. Let me put it this way. For the last couple of years none of my Italian friends in Italy will even fly Alitalia.

It is sad, as they used to be a wonderful airline.
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

What about KLM Royal Dutch or US Airways?
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:23 PM

In the case of the flight from Rome with no luggage, isn't that the fault of the baggage handlers, not Alitalia? I don't have any reason to defend that airline, but I did read sometime that baggage handlers in Italy (and I think Rome) were doing some sort of slowdown protest. Whether that is still ongoing or has become the natural state of things, who knows. But if the system is like it is here, the baggage handlers are not airline employees.
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:26 AM

WillTravel: Alitalia has the responsibility to get your luggage to where it's supposed to be. baggage handler or not.

We had an incident where we were traveling with another couple. Their luggage was lost. Alitalia was unresponsive. Our hotel couldn't believe that Alitalia would literally pick up the phone and hang it up immediately. So he tried many times. That's exactly what they did to him, too. We finally had to contact our insurance company. They found the luggage and had it delivered to the hotel we were arriving at a week later. (yes it even took them a week) The funny thing was that when we asked at that hotel, they said that Alitalia had called and said they would deliver the bag before we arrived. When he called back to ask where it was, they yelled at him.

Try to talk to anyone at Customer service. They don't answer messages, if you do get someone they're rude. It's unreal!

The people we were traveling with were staying an extra week from us. They were leaving from Perugia. NO ONE from check-in to using their emergency phone number to having the inusrance company who was contacting them constantly, told them the airport was closed for 2 weeks. When they arrived for their flight...Shut down completely. It left them high and dry.
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM

My daughter with 19 other teens are traveling with ALITALIA to Italy this July and returning early Aug. They are going as a group, having won scholarships. YES, I am worried but the travel agent here in NY is not worried and they are all Italian born in this company. The trip is on!

Last I heard is that they will be solvent until early December, think it was the 6th. I hate to see Alitalia go!!!
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Missjane: Just flew United from Dulles to Rome and back again and it was a good flight. Good service; food the usual airplane fare; and we got our luggage. All in all, a good experience. We were even able to upgrade to economy plus which gave us a decent amount of leg room.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Air One (which I love) is now taking over Alitalia's Chicago to Milan and Boston to Milan slots.

Air One is a local Italian airline that is growing and now doing overseas flights. We have flown them in Europe and loved them. I wish they would fly from Dulles. They are connected with United.