Alicante, Spain help

Jul 14th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Alicante, Spain help

I'll be visiting Alicante, SP in August for seven days staying with friends. I've been to Spain before but not in the last twenty years and never to Alicante. Would like some suggestions for restaurants, local activities, attractions, etc.

We'll have a rental car so some ideas for day trips, and perhaps for very old sentimental reasons, a run down to Malaga and/or Gib,' for a two night stay. Will highways allow a drive down day one, sightseeing day two, return Alicante day three? Would a swing up to Ronda either coming or going be a realistic possibility?

All suggestions, possibilities, and cautions appreciated.

Thanks.
Clarance 29
Jul 14th, 2010, 08:26 PM

Benidorm! England on the Spanish Riviera.
Jul 14th, 2010, 10:34 PM

Malaga is 479 km from Alicante and it will take you little bit less than five hours to drive there. Ronda is 117 km and less than 2 hours from Malaga.

In Alicante you might like to visit places like Guadalest, Bocairent (Moorish cave dwellings), Benimaurell (Val de Laguar - Moorish steps), Denia, Javea, Moraira, Calpe (Ifach monolite) and Altea.

Ifach monolite (Peñon Ifach) is a monolite like Gibraltar, but much smaller (and more attractive to me): http://www.topwalks.net/en/ifach/ifach.htm
Jul 14th, 2010, 10:37 PM

I, too, stayed with friends in Alicante and enjoyed getting to know the city intimately. Friends will be able to take you to the best shopping, restaurants and beaches. There is an interesting castle in Alicante and a beach promenade that was beautiful 5 years ago, the last time I visited.
There are wonderful small beach towns north of Alicante and I would make a trip to Valencia, also a coastal city but with interesting architecture, a top priority.
I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Jul 15th, 2010, 01:06 AM

I agree that a trip to Valencia would not be disappointing if you do your research. Remember.. the trains are excellent and you may want to forget the car, gas and tolls for that trip. You can go on the regional train ( 14E each way, but stops many places) or take a more expensive one and perhaps get a Estrella discount at station, or a webfare online at www.renfe.es

Málaga is too far, however, a trip to Granada could easily be done with an overnight and is what I would aim for, pre-purchasing your tickets to the Alhambra.

Walksntalks has given you the names of some very interesting villages should you decide to stay in the area and not venture further.

In Alicante we like to eat at La Dársena for excellent rice dishes and a view of the port and yachts. Also, El NOU Manolin has great tapas at the bar or nice sit down upstairs.
Jul 22nd, 2010, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your comments and all of them will be considered..
Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:33 AM

You have to be a big fan of motorways to want to do Alicante-Malaga (or even Gib!) as part of your holiday. When I lived in Spain, it was two and a quarter hours to Alicante airport (a bit further to the city), and I would guess it was about four hours to Málaga. I seem to remember taking about seven hours to Gibraltar, though that was in a slow and bouncy Suzuki jeep. So my guess would be that you are looking at 6 hours driving time from Alicante to Málaga, and 9 hours for Alicante to Gibraltar. That's all on motorway: some quite nice scenery in places but no time to stop and look at it properly.

Search this Thread