Alhambra tour question

Search

Alhambra tour question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alhambra tour question

Our hotel is suggesting a tour of the Alhambra which would cost 49E each. Tour books talk about the Bono touristico pass, and there are private guides. We will only be there once in our lives and would like to not just see the Alhambra, but to learn about it. We'd also like to make sure we see everything too. Does anyone have any ideas about the best way of doing this?
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM

kleroux,
I completely understand your wish to see everything there is to see and learn as much as possible on your once in a lifetime visit to Granada. But I do think that you can do this independently without spending almost 100 euros for the two of you to join a group tour.

In my visits to the Alhambra I haven't been overly impressed with the quality of the explanations in English that I've overheard from the group guides, particularly when they are in charge of a large group working in very cramped quarters, as are the Nasrid palace rooms on a busy tour day. I'm sure there are excellent guides to take you on a special private tour, but the charge for their services can be really quite high-well above 100 euros.

And I really feel that folks don't get their money's worth with the Bono Turístico unless they plan to stay more than 3 days.

So I recommend that you search the travel book shelves of your local library or bookstore before your trip and read up on the Alhambra in the following, which have solid, historical content-

Granada chapter of the following guides
• Cadogan’s Andalucía - the most informative and accurate.
• Footprint Andalucía - 5th edition, ‘07
• Lonely Planet Andalucía - 5th edition, ’07

along with the classic
• Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving

And I recommend that once in the city, you purchase the following-
• The Alhambra and the Generalife
available at every souvenir shop in Granada and in the Alhambra complex itself. This guide is sold in a multitude of languages, and it does give a solid explanation of what you'll be seeing.

Our host had a copy available in our hotel that we read the night before and that he allowed us to take during our most recent visit to refresh our memories.

Some find the audio guide that you can rent at the Entrance Pavilion to be helpful, while others find it too "poetic" or too slow and not factual enough. It isn't full of factual info but rather serves to set a mood for your visit.

If you'd like to join a guided visit of downtown and the labyrinth -like Albaicín, you might like the Cicerone walking tour around the historical center and the Albaicín. It lasts approximately 2 1/2 hours and costs €12.
From March through October it departs from the meeting point, a kiosk at the Plaza Bib-Rambla, at 10:30 am, and from November through February at 11 am.
No reservations are needed; just arrive at the meeting point 10 - 15 minutes ahead of time.

Cicerone always offers the large group guided tour of the Alhambra complex for €11
A €2 voucher for any of the tours is available on line at
www.ciceronegranada.com

I have a Granada guide/file in pdf format on my travel page that you might want to look at as well. It doesn't have a room-by-room explanation of the Alhambra complex-I leave that to the aforementioned professional guides-but does have practical info regarding purchasing the Alhambra tix, web links for more detailed info, getting to and around the complex, transportation, lodging, dining, shopping, flamenco and a list and explanation of all the major sights worth visiting.
You can find it here-
www.maribelsguides.com

Hope this helps.

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Hi! I've never visited the Alhambra with a tour guide but I did use the audio tour and just loved it. The place is so expansive and confusing that it was a HUGE benefit to have an audio guide that systematically led me through the whole place in a logical order.

And I found the descriptions to be very informative -- lots context, explanation of the significance and history of each space, and thorough in covering everything I wanted to know. I saw people without the audio tours wandering around looking pretty lost and confused.

I should mention that often I am very disappointed with audio tours -- there were others I rented in Spain that I had trouble following -- couldn't tell what they were talking about and the information wasn't helpful. But at the Alhambra the tour was great, and not very expensive either.

Good luck!
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
yk

Maribel's suggestions:
<i>along with the classic
• Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving

And I recommend that once in the city, you purchase the following-
• The Alhambra and the Generalife</i>

I cannot agree more! I read Tales of the Alhambra before my visit, and it made the whole place so magical - with me imagining the princesses who lived in the towers...

I bought the souvenir book - Alhambra and the Generalife - after my visit. And I wish I had bought it BEFORE! It has great descriptions plus gorgeous photographs.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Hi yk,
Yep, the Alhambra book and its photographs make a really great souvenir!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for these suggestions. I feel like I have a plan now!!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:56 AM

Double check about ticket availability. Don't they sell out? And tickets are only good for certain entry times. I don't think it is like Disney World where you can just walk up and get a ticket and go in.

We were there during Easter week, so it was crazy of course. We used the tour because we could get tickets that way. The self ticket option was sold out.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring up this topic, but let the experts answer it!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM

klerous,
In my Granada guide, starting on p. 9, I have a guide to visiting the Alhambra, followed by a step-by-step guide to how to purchase tickets on line.

You can do this via the ServiCaixa online booking system a full 3 months in advance. The &quot;prime&quot; timed- slots for entrance to the Nasrid Palace rooms do sell out quickly. So if you are an early riser and want to book the 8:30 slot so as to get in early before the crowds accumulate, you'll need to do this right away.

You'll see in my guide that entrance to the complex is limited to only 7,250 visitors (6,050 in winter) each day, with 300 visitors per half-hour time slot, and with only 400 admitted for the separate night visit.

The reason visitors end up using the Bono Tur&iacute;stico for their Alhambra tickets is usually that either they don't know about the online advance booking system, or they have waited until it's too late, and the online tickets have been sold out. And yes, they do sell out quickly for Easter Week.

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 08:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi kleroux,

i agree with everything Maribel and others have said.

to the list of books, i would add &quot;THE Alhambra&quot; by Robert Irwin, and a further tip would be to go twice - once in the day and once at night. the evening walk through the gardens is lovely and there are far fewer people allowed in the nasrid palaces which is the only buildg open at this time.

hope this helps,

regards, ann
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM

I also used the two classics mentioned. I read

&quot;Tales of the Alhambra&quot; by Washington Irving before the trip and

&quot;The Alhambra and the Generalife&quot; the day I arrived in Granada. I studied the book the night before the tour and also used the audio guide for the Nasrid Palace.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful advice. I wonder if there would be fewer crowds in the afternoon? I understand tours go through in the morning. I think going again at night sound magical too. Thank you for your suggestions. Maribel, what is the easiest way to obtain your guide book?
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM

There really aren't significantly fewer visitors in the afternoon session than in the morning one. It's just extremely busy at all hours, especially in peak season.
(and even in winter the complex is filled with local school groups who aren't allowed to visit during the high season).

I really recommend ann's suggestion of doing the evening visit of the Nasrid Palace rooms as a compliment to (but not substitution for) your day visit for maximum enjoyment.

My Granada guide is found on my travel web page in pdf format, for any and all to download.
www.maribelsguides.com
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:27 AM

Maribel (and others) - if you have a ticket for Nasrid for the morning, can you stay in the Alhambra all day?

And likewise, if your Nasrid ticket is for the afternoon, can you enter the complex in the morning?

Thanks.
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:35 AM

'If you have a ticket for Nasrid for the morning, can you stay in the Alhambra all day?' - Yes, until the closng time.

'If your Nasrid ticket is for the afternoon, can you enter the complex in the morning?' - No, you can only enter from 2 pm for the parts that require a ticket. But you can spend time in the free public area like Palace of Charles V and its museums, the church and arab baths.
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:33 AM

has anyone done a trip organized on the theme Moorish Spain? Is there any info out there on that? I think it would be interesting!
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:23 AM
yk

<i>if you have a ticket for Nasrid for the morning, can you stay in the Alhambra all day?</i>

I could be wrong, BUT, I thing you have to enter the ticket-required sections (ie, Alcazaba and Generalife) BEFORE 2pm. Once you're inside, no one will come chase you out @ 2pm.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:46 AM

'Daytime general visit:
It includes the public areas of the Alcazaba Fortress, the Palace of Charles V, the Nasrid Palaces, Palaces and Gardens of the Generalife and Bath of The Mosque Baths .
You can visit the Monument within the schedule established for the type of ticket that you have purchased (Morning, Afternoon or Evening), once inside any of them, you will be able to stay there until the closing time.
Morning admission ticket:
Monday through Sunday: 8:30 a.m.to 14:00 p.m.
Afternoon admission ticket:
Monday through Sunday: 14:00 p.m. to 18:00 (November 1st through February 28/29) and from 14:00 p.m. to 20:00 p.m.(March 1st through October 31st).'

So it seems yk is correct.
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:57 PM

hi nevertooold, et al,

I never really found out about how long you are able to stay with a morning ticket. Clearly, you must enter teh nasrid palaces within 30 mins of teh time on your ticket. the ticket also gives one entry to the alazabar fortress, but there was no time marked on this, but I suppose that entering before 2pm would be sensible.

as for the other sights/sites, I don't remember any checking of tickets at all. Again, it might be sensible to enter the Generalife BEFORE 2pm, but once you are in, you could spend the whole of the rest of the day if you wanted. I know that we didn't leave til about 3pm, if not later, and there was no problem with doing that at all. so far as I remember, it makes sense to do the generalife last, so that you aren't retracing your steps all the time.

regards, ann
Old May 31st, 2009, 01:01 PM
yk

Last time I was at the Alhambra (Feb 2008), both entrances (Alcazaba and Generalife) had a guard there with a hand-held device. The guard scans the barcode on the ticket for entry.

I had an afternoon ticket, and I tried to enter Generalife at 1:50pm. The guard scanned my ticket, then told me that I couldn't enter until 2pm.

Therefore, I assume with a morning ticket, the ticket-holder may be denied entrance if he/she tries to enter either areas AFTER 2pm.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 01:31 PM

good tip yk.

be nice if they told us that when we booked wouldn't it?

regards, ann

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -