Reload this Page >

Alhambra tickets

Search

Alhambra tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:01 PM
M

Alhambra tickets

Just tried to advance book my tickets using the web site and number provided by the Rough Guide. Web site not working and it was the wrong number. Number provided on the Alhambra web site was out of service. Can anyone help?

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:45 PM
celeste

Whatever you do, don't leave the US without an Alhambra reservation. It's just too much of an aggravation to get one in Spain. Just came back from Spain and the only negative experience was getting the ticket. Although a lot in this forum advised to get it there through BBV or fall in line first thing in the morning of tour, don't take your chances. Before we leave, we tried to place a reservation through BBV in NY (per Granada website) and we were told tickets are not available through BBV-NYC. Tried to locate a BBV in Seville (1st one, computer was not working; 2nd one, tickets are not available). When we came back to the 1st BBV (this is 5 days before our Alhambra visit), we were told that nothing is available and the only tickets are for the night visit (10:00 PM; our train to Madrid from Granada leaves ll:30). We went back to our hotel and tried to get help to place a reservation. They were told the same thing so we just took the night visit. Upon arrival in Granada, we went to the TI and was told to go to BBV in the corner and should be able to get one (we were thinking of exchanging the tickets). BBV in the corner said that that particular branch is for advance tickets only; for same day ticket, we should go to the BBV on the other corner. When we arrived at the BBV, other corner, we were told there were no tickets anymore (but their neon signs there are available tickets for 5:30). You then can't argue with the ticket clerk as he only speaks Spanish, so we just went to the whirlwind tour of Alhambra (actually just the palace) during the night. While at the BBV office, there was a sign that you can place a reservation through the website (I don't know how accurate it is_. M, try getting a Rick Steves' Spain, I think there is a reservation # there for Alhambra tickets. Good luck!

Old May 8th, 2001, 03:32 PM
jahoulih

Thanks for the tip about ordering on the website--I just did it! But it won't be easy if you don't know Spanish. (I didn't see anywhere to click for English.) Go to <BR> <BR>http://w3.grupobbva.com/ALHAMBRA/alhambra/home.html <BR> <BR>Then click on "Venta de entradas." On the next screen, where it says "Fecha Visita" enter the date of your visit (e.g., 29/08/2001 for Aug. 29). "Hora Visita" is the time, a pull-down menu. There are three rates of fees--"General," "Jubilado" if you're over 65, and "Gratuito" for children under 8. You can order up to 5 tickets at a time. Enter the number of each type that you want, and click on "Enviar." On the next screen, you're asked for credit card information. For "Nombre del Titular," type the cardholder's name. "Numero de la tarjeta" is the number. "Fecha de caducidad" is expiration date. Then click on "Pagar." You'll get a printable page (click on "Imprima") with your reservation number.

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Maribel

M, <BR>I'm afraid that I was one of those here on the Forum who advised Celeste to purchase the Alhambra tickets at a BBV branch. I'm sorry, Celeste, that your experience was such a hassle and that you were only able to do a hurried, abbreviated night tour! Thanks for the very important cautionary note. I should have added in my post about the new BBV system that one should do this in high season (May-October) AT LEAST a week in advance. Last June I purchased our tickets (and later, those for friends) at a BBV branch in Madrid (but with the luxury of being able to communicate in Spanish) a week before our scheduled arrival in Granada, and when I made that purchase, there were only a few 9 a.m. slot tickets left for the day we had chosen in late June. In the extremely busy summer months the BBV banks do sell out their allotments very quickly. If you will be in Spain a full week before, preferrably in Madrid where there are plenty of branches in all areas of the city, or if you will be in Granada during the "quiet" season (fall-winter), then you should be able to wait until you arrive; otherwise, I would suggest that you attempt reserving them by trying to call the BBV number (guides say no more than 3 days in advance) and pay by credit card. My new 2001Lonely Planet guide and Spain for Dummies both indicate that from the U.S. their number is 011-34-902-22-44-60, open from 9-6, but who knows whether it will work! (I believe another poster tried the BBV number listed on the www.alhambra-patronato.es site last summer, and it didn't work for him either). <BR>I did send a fax from home a month in advance (last May) to the Alhambra ticket office requesting a reservation, but they immediately sent me back a "form letter" response informing me that I should purchase them through a BBV. It appeared that they were no longer taking reservations by fax (??). <BR>Has anyone been able to secure a reservation by fax lately directly with the ticket office? They gave me the impression that because they had been completely inundated with requests, they were referring all inquiries to the BBV. The ticket purchasing system seems to be changing constantly, and I strongly suspect the www.alhambra-patronato.es site doesn't have the most updated info. <BR>I've also experienced the frustration of arriving at the Alhambra at 10 a.m. in June (two summers ago with 2 bus loads full of touring US orchestra members on tour) with no pre-purchased or reserved tickets for the group and waiting in a very long line only to reach the ticket counter and be told that the only available time for me to enter the Royal Apts was at 3:30 p.m. Our group leader (a Spaniard who should have known about the problem) had failed to secure tickets for the group ahead of time (grrr!), and touring plans for 85 people, all entering the Palacios Nazaries of the Alhambra at different hours of the late afternoon, had to be shifted immediately. I've read frustrated reports in the Spanish press that during the height of the season the entire 8,500 daily ticket allotment can occasionally be sold out by 11 a.m.! <BR>It would be helpful to hear more reports from Fodorites who have visited recently as to how they fared either with the BBV system or at the box office. I was successful, but again, I had the luxury of purchasing them at my leisure in Madrid. <BR>Again, I'm sorry, Celeste, about your frustrating experience, but thanks so much for the wise warning to us all.

Old May 8th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Maribel

Thanks Jahoulih! Missed your post while writing mine. Now we know!

Old May 8th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Scott

Thank you SOOO much for the advice on the ALHAMBRA tickets website. We speak Spanish so it was easy. But I tried to follow you instructions anyway in English and they were perfect!! We should be there (Primero Dios) on Thursday evening the 17th... <BR>Talk to you all when we return or from Spain if Internet access is easy at a hotel....

Old May 9th, 2001, 06:16 AM
celeste

Oh, Maribel, don't apologize, you've given me so much info! I just think it's the Alhambra system, it just keeps on changing. FYI, I was told by the TI at Granada that you can now purchase also tickets from Caixa (I think it's another big bank in Spain) but who knows if that info is accurate now or tomorrow. When I was falling in line at the BBV in Granada for tickets, there were also a lot of students (from US and European countries) who did not get tickets and who went to Granada just to see the Alhambra, they were all cursing and seemed to be very frustrated with the system and disappointed not to see the place. I am glad some fellow travelers out there will avoid our ugly experience.

Old May 9th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Kathy

J, <BR> <BR>Is there a place on the website where you can enter the time you wish to get tickets for? <BR> <BR>I don't speak Spanish, so I'm hoping it works. <BR> <BR>Thanks to everyone for this info. Very helpful. <BR> <BR>Kathy

Old May 9th, 2001, 06:54 AM
jahoulih

Kathy, <BR> <BR>Yes. To the right of where it says "hora visita" there's a little box with a little down arrow next to it. Click on the arrow and a menu of times will appear. Then just click on the time you want.

Old May 9th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Kathy

Jahoulih, <BR> <BR>THANK YOU!!! Please disregard my previous message, I went back and read yours again and saw that all the info was there. Your directions are fantastic. I hope more people find them. I will put a warning out. I tried to get tickets for next Wednesday, Thursday & Friday and other than Thursday which had an 11am opening, there were no other openings until the late afternoon evening, so book as far in advance as you can. <BR> <BR>Thanks again and the information is invaluable.

Old May 9th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Thanh

jahoulil, <BR>thank you SO MUCH for your instruction on how to access tickets for Alhambra. I printed your post and followed the your instruction precisely. IT WORKED! We now have our reservation number. <BR>Thanks again for sharing. <BR>Thanh

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:06 AM
M

Thanks everyone for your input. Booked my tickets and off to Spain this weekend. Can't wait.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Myer

Jahoulih's instructions are very clear. <BR> <BR>Now, what do you do with the reservation number? <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Art

Boy, I guess that we were lucky. Last September we were unable to get to a BBV branch, so we got in the line at 6:45 am, were the third ones in line and got into the palace on the first time at 8:30 am. Sorry to hear of the problems that you had <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 12:50 PM
julie

We were in Spain last year. just stay in Granada and get up early, then go to one of the kiosks outside the Alhambra..we had absolutely no trouble getting in. They are in timed sequence, and they let so many in each hour. I don't think you need to advance book, unless things have changed drastically since we were there last MaRCH. (incidentally, have been to the Alhambra three times over the years and never had a problem).

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 07:19 PM
jahoulih

Good question, Myer. I haven't been there yet (my reservation is for August), but on the page I printed out with my number it says that you can pick up your tickets at the ticket windows of the Patronato de la Alhambra y el Generalife on the day of your visit; you have to present the number and your passport or the credit card you used to make the purchase.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Myer

Pardon the ignorance but is there a difference between buying an entrance ticket for the Alhambra and for the Nasrid Palaces? Could someone explain how this works? <BR> <BR>Also, everybody asks about buying tickets but nobody seems to care how much. ? Or should we not care? <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:46 PM
jahoulih

The ticket gives you a certain time, within a half hour of which you have to enter the Nasrid Palace. You can stay as long as you like once you enter, and you can see the rest of the Alhambra before or after. The price is 1000 pesetas, or 700 if you're over 65, or free if you're under 8 or disabled.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 03:13 AM
Myer

If we tour in some logical sequence such as from the entrance or closest entrance at what point should we expect to get to the Nasrid Palace Palace. Say, if we expect to get to the Alhambra ant 9-9:30 should we time the tickets for 10:10:30?

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 08:55 AM
jahoulih

Go to <BR> <BR>http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/Ingles/ingles.html <BR> <BR>and click on "visit." It gives several options for the order in which to visit things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -