Alhambra Question

Search

Alhambra Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alhambra Question

I read or heard somewhere that there is a 20 min. walk from the gate to the Nasrid Palace. Is that correct? Also, is the walk uphill or flat? Thanks
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it is not perfectly flat but it is also not a difficult walk for anyone with "normal" ambulatory abilities. Why are you asking this question?
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 06:34 PM

The walk is only about 10 minutes and is, like Dukey1 said, not a difficult walk. The primary uphill walk is from the city of Granada (for example if you depart from Plaza Nueva - http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/s...ew-101430.html)
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 09:14 PM
kja

I remember it as closer to 20 minutes, but relatively flat and certainly easy. It may be that what I am remembering is the time I arrived at the Palace -- when I was there, the line for admissions for an afternoon visit was very long, so it may have taken only 10 minutes for the walk once I was allowed into the grounds. Sorry I can't be more specific.

If your question is about the timing of your ticket to the Nasrid Palace, my understanding is that your ticket allows you to enter within a 30-minute interval of the marked time, so if you get the first time slot of the day, most people should be able to make it from the gate to the Palace without undue effort. But do take serious note of your time slot: As I understand it, you are ONLY guaranteed entrance to the Nasrid Palace during the half-hour period identified by the start time on your ticket.

it is a wondrous place. Do give serious consideration to visiting during both the day and the evening, in that order.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I asked the question because my husband walks slowly due to a physical problem which resulted from a back surgery.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 08:17 PM

You can get a taxi right to the gate. There are also buses from Plaza Nueva. Not expensive, as Granada is not that big. If I remember correctly, if you already have your tickets with you (you can print them out at the Alhambra Bookstore in Plaza Nueva by the way), I think you can enter at the Justice Gate, which is close to the Palacios Nazarios (Nasrid Palace is English). Ask the taxi driver to let you off there. This is quite a short walk. Once you are in the Palace, by the way, you have all morning (or all afternoon depending in your entry time) to stay there. Only the entrance is required within the 30-minute window, not your whole visit.

Rick Steves guidebook to Granada (and in the Spain guidebook) is quite helpful in finding out about the bus numbers that go to the Alhambra, tour the Albaicin and go up to Sacromonte (where the gypsy caves are) by the way.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:37 AM

Quick Alhambra question:

I am purchasing 2 tickets for the morning session (starting at 8:30am) and am reserving the 10:00am slot for the Nasrid Palace. Does that give me enough time to pick up my tickets and get to the Palace by 10?

Can I pick up my tickets the day before (Sunday)?

And....I can then spend the rest of the day touring the rest of the grounds if I choose to? Can I take a lunch break on the grounds after the Nasrid Palace and still spend the rest of the day there?

I am also going to purchase tickets for the next evening to see the Nasrid Palace -- but the ticket site also offers Generalife night tickets. I can only see one or the other on the same night?

I guess I'm a little confused as to the timing.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 04:56 PM
kja

"I am purchasing 2 tickets for the morning session (starting at 8:30am) and am reserving the 10:00am slot for the Nasrid Palace. Does that give me enough time to pick up my tickets and get to the Palace by 10?" -- I can't imagine a problem. As noted above, it is at most a 20 minute walk and possibly less.

"Can I pick up my tickets the day before (Sunday)?" -- I doubt it, but things can change.

"I can then spend the rest of the day touring the rest of the grounds if I choose to? Can I take a lunch break on the grounds after the Nasrid Palace and still spend the rest of the day there?" -- I've read inconsistent answers to that question.

"I am also going to purchase tickets for the next evening to see the Nasrid Palace -- but the ticket site also offers Generalife night tickets. I can only see one or the other on the same night?" Correct. When I went, only the ticket for the Nasrid Palace was an option, and that visit remains among my most treasured memories. If evening visits to the Generalife had been an option when I visited Granada, I would have jumped at the chance. If forced to choose between the night before or after my daytime visit, I would place the evening visit to the Nasrid Palace AFTER my daytime visit there.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 02:57 AM

Thank you so much for your very detailed response!
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 06:36 AM

Yes, you can pick up your tickets a day early by using the ATM machines at La Caixa bank. You will need the same credit card with which you booked the tickets. It is very easy and convenient.
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 04:53 PM

We grabbed a taxi from downtown Granada up to the Alhambra as the bus was a mob scene w/ shoving and inadequate numbers to accommodate the numbers of people (April 2012)waiting for same; that said, upon arrival with timed tickets, the lines were still long and took probably close to half an hour to be 'processed.' That said, once on the walk down to Nasrid Palace it should take approx. 5-10 minutes walking fairly quickly and no more than 15 walking slowly. Do NOT throw away your ticket once past the first checkpoint where I believe it is first scanned entrance. It will be again checked upon directly entering the Palace. No amount of logic or begging will cover your not having your ticket, so throw nothing away till you leave. We had a 1pm time and arrived up there approximately at noon; the process took much longer than we expected so don't cut yourself short.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 04:53 AM

I'm now considering taking the afternoon schedule instead of the morning schedule. It'll give me ample time to get the tickets and arrive timely.

Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 07:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
"I can then spend the rest of the day touring the rest of the grounds if I choose to? Can I take a lunch break on the grounds after the Nasrid Palace and still spend the rest of the day there?" -- I've read inconsistent answers to that question">>

We had tickets for the morning session with entry for the Nasrid palaces at 10am. We arrived at the entrance/ticket office at about 8.30, picked up our tickets, had a quick coffee in the cafe, and then strolled into the grounds. I suppose that it took us about 30 mins to reach the main complex, and then toured one of the other monuments where you need to present your tiket, and then had plenty of time to get to the entrance to the palaces.

We were indeed then able to spend the rest of the day in the grounds, though we arrived at the gate of the Generalife before the morning session finished. Friends of ours did not do so however, and weren't allowed into it. Whether that was the determining factor I really don't know but my advice would be to do what we did in which case I can't see why you wouldn't be able to remain in the Generalife for as long as you like.

We had booked for the morning session, but when we arrived in Granada we discovered that we could get tickets that night for the evening visit, and snapped them up. It was wonderful to see it all illuminated and with far fewer people. I can't say whether it's better to see it like that before or after the main visit, but I can certainly recommend doing both visits.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 09:40 AM

Will definitely book day and night visits!!
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 05:18 AM

It is breathtaking and so worth it... every time of day will show off in different light.... ahhhh
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 10:14 AM

But, if it's still light out very late in the evening, will there really be much difference in how it looks at night and during the day? I will be there at the end of June and sunset is going to be very late at that time of the year.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
anyegr - I can't help you there as we went in November.

one advantage of going at night is that they let so many fewer people in so you can actually see something.

you could look at doing a night-time visit to the garden which I believe is an innovation since we went.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, and even better IMO, is having dinner on the terrace of the parador and looking OVER the illuminated areas...you'll see it from an entirely different and very romantic perspective, too.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 03:50 PM
kja

"one advantage of going at night is that they let so many fewer people in so you can actually see something" -- Exactly, AND -- at least when I was there -- I could hear the fountains and smell the flowers in the evening. Quite in contrast to the daytime, when the palace and grounds were packed with people.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 06:43 PM

Ok. Thanks. I guess I'll have to do both, then. Now I just have to wait until the tickets can be booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -