Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Algarve for a June/July honeymoon? Any sugguestions or thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 1998, 02:25 PM
Kevin Lewand

We are getting married on June 26 and are leaving the next day for a 10 day honeymoon. It's our first time to Portugal and while we want to see all of the country, we also want to enjoy some relaxing time (remember, it is our honeymoon). Therefore, we thought we should just stick with the Algarve. Are we making a mistake? Does anyone have some advice about where to stay? What to see? and what to avoid? We thought we would fly into Lisbon and rent a car. Any guidance? <BR> <BR>We would really appreciate any help you all can give us. Thanks, in advance.

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 01:03 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Kevin, I know Portugal well and it is a <BR>shame you only have 10 days. I would do <BR>more than just the Algarve. If all you <BR>want is sun and surf, you can do that in <BR>Florida. I would start in the greater <BR>Lisbon area---to include Sintra and Obidos---and then head south. Stay at the west part of the Algarve--Praia de <BR>Rocha or Lagos. On your way north, try <BR>to include Evora for a nite. Spend your <BR>last nite at the Pousada at Palmela--about an hour south of the airport. <BR>If you can afford it, The Pousada at Sagres is a fantastic location for a nite. In all, 2 days near Lisbon, 5 nites at the Algarve, and one each at Evora and Palmela should give you a good feel for the southern half of Portugal. Best wishes !! <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 03:17 PM
amy

I'm American and have lived in Portugal for the past 3 years. The Algarve is very nice and very touristy. In the summer, expect lots of European tourists (British & German). I agree that if you go, stay in the Lagos area and try to take a trip to Sagres. If starting in Lisbon, see Sintra and be sure to go to Pena Palace. Evora is beautiful and has a very nice pousada. If traveling through the cental area, stop in Tomar (the convent is fabulous). We live in Abrantes (near Tomar) so if you want to email me directly with other questions or need some practical advice, I'd be happy to help out in the planning of your trip. It really is a pity that you have only 10 days because Portugal is a wonderful country and should be seen leisurely. Have a wonderful trip! <BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 04:48 AM
marie

We went to Portugal last June and loved it. If you stay in Lisbon, you must take a day trip to Sintra! <BR> <BR>As far as the Algarve goes, we went to Lagos and Tavira. Both very different towns. Lagos is lively, a bit touristy, but fun. Tavira is quaint, pretty and less crowded. We took the bus to the Algarve from Lisbon (easier and nicer than the train). <BR> <BR>Pick up a copy of the Eyewitness guide to Portugal. We did not find the Fodor's very helpful. It did not divide things into neighborhoods which was a necesity!

Old Dec 11th, 1998, 01:13 PM
Jill Lambert

Sounds familiar. We're getting married on June 12th. We're flying into Madrid, taking the AVE to Seville, then renting a car for 10 days around southern Portugal and Spain. If you've found any other great ideas, I love to hear them. I can also share some we've found. Thanks!