Search

Alfalfa coast in 8 days in April

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alfalfa coast in 8 days in April

Hi travelers,

Does anyone have itinerary/hotel advise about the Amalfi coast in April. All I am starting with is a desire to base myself in Positano, see Pompeii and do some great hikes?

Thank!
Thel
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Best thread title ever!!

How many days do you have, and do you know yet when in April (early, middle, late)?
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 06:16 PM

Oops. So distracted by "Alfalfa" that I missed the 8 days part...

There are many hiking trails, but none of them would be appealing in the rain. You should research the hiking options but decide if you want to hike after you get there. You should also inquire at the Tourist Info Office about current trail conditions before you set off.

I assume you won't have a car, but you could still get to Paestum if that interests you.

Definitely try to get to the Naples Archeology Museum. All of the artifacts found at Pompeii are housed in the museum. You might even consider spending a night in Naples or possibly Capri or Sorrento.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 06:25 PM

http://www.summerinitaly.com/travelt...ento-and-capri

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...761010002.html
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 06:26 PM

I love it!
A real classic title.

This may help:

NAVIGATING on the AMALFI COAST
HOW TO GET THERE: You have to want to—it may not be easy. The best option is to land in Naples, but that is not always feasible. Most travelers access it from Rome by train to Naples—a trip of less than two hours. Once in Naples, you have a choice. The local commuter train, Circumversuviana, leaves from the same train station and takes about an hour to SORRENTO, with a possible stop at “ Pompeii Scavi” to see the famed ruins. However, to access any of the coastal towns you must then take a SITA bus or a taxi.

The best option is to hire a private driver to meet you at the Naples station or airport and take you directly to your hotel. Expect to pay about 100E.
www.cuomonet.it www.tourofitaly.com www.francescomarrapese.com
www.angelodriver.com

WHERE TO LOCATE & WHAT TO SEE: Ah, what not to see? This is the most stunning scenery in all of Italy---be sure to pack the camera. Your daily activities will be somewhat determined by your location. SORRENTO is really on the Bay of Naples and not the Amalfi Coast [AC], but is the most convenient location for day trips to Pompeii and the Isle of Capri. The town is larger & relatively flat. In contrast, POSITANO is the most spectacular village on the AC but is almost vertical and a real challenge for your legs.
Hotel choices in Positano should be evaluated by their location in town relative to the beach or position on the hill above the beach. AMALFI & RAVELLO are other popular destinations but are further down the coast.

NOTE: Any of the drivers above can be hired for day trip excursions but should be booked well in advance. Expect to pay about 35E/hour.

Here are my top five activities for this fabulous coast:
• Seeing the coast from the water---the best option. Hire a boat and pray for good weather—here is one www.gennaroesalvatore.it

• Day trip to Capri by hydrofoil from Sorrento or Positano—in season

• Day trip to Ravello by local bus or driver. This lovely village is high above the coast with great views---see Villa Cimbrone.

• Day trip to Pompeii. Plan on spending 4 hours to see it well. You can take the commuter train from Sorrento or hire a driver.

• Shopping for ceramics and sipping LIMONCELLO. The latter is not to be missed---I still have it almost daily at home after dinner.

WHERE TO EAT: I hope you like seafood. Here are some of my favorites:
* In Positano: Da Vincenzo Buca di Bacco Da Constantino

* In Ravello: Cumpa Cosimo Villa Maria

* In Sorrento: Trattoria Da Emilia L’Antica Trattoria
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jean and Bob the Navigator,
Thanks for your advise. I know the weather won't be peak, but we are not really beach people, and love Italy without hordes of tourists ( like ourselves). Also, a little rain gives us the chance to visit the Naples Archeology Museum -and drink lemon cello while shopping for ceramics - my FAVORITE activity!

We will either have a car or a driver. How crazy do you think driving will be at the end of April (20 - 28 ish). Also, I think we would like to spend -maybe three days on Capri. How does that sound?
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 07:00 PM

Love the title too much. Love Alfalfa. Wanted my DD to name my granddaughter Darla.

Sorry to go so wildly off topic.

Capri is so lovely and there are so many great walks. If you have 3 days, I think it would be great.

bob suggested the hydrofoil, and it will be a good bet at that time of year, but I hate the hydrofoil and find it noisy, smelly and uncomfortable. It would choose a boat if they were running.

The Archeology Museum in Naples is one of the great museums of Italy. You will love it.

In Positano, the Poseidon is a good hotel with even better food.