Aletsch Glacier in May?

Old Apr 24th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Aletsch Glacier in May?

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to Switzerland in late May (21st-31st) and we were wanting to hike up to the Aletsch Glacier one day. However, I'm having trouble finding information on cable car timetables in Riederalp/Bettmeralp for May. Are they all closed for the off-season? And if so, is it still possible to hike up? Was hoping someone here might have an idea on this.

Thanks,

Mickey
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM

That would be a LONG hike up from the train. I was looking at the Aletsch area websites yesterday, and noticed that none of the hotels in Bettmeralp are open in May---they closed around April 19 and re-open in June. But I can't imiagine they would stop runnning the cablecar; people live up there and need to get back and forth.

I'll look into it and see what I can find, and post back.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM

According to sbb.ch, the cablecars are running up to the villages---Bettmeralp, Riederalp, and Fiescheralp. but the mountain cablecars above there--to Eggishorn, Bettmerhorn, Moosfluh, etc., are not. So you would have to hike up to the top of the ridge. We have done this a number of times, from each of the villages, and it is a great hike. But the webcams are showing a lot of snow there now. There may or may not be much remaining in four weeks when you are there.

Maybe check access to Belalp? We've never been there, but there should be a view of the glacier there too.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM

P.S. if you do decide to hike, I suggest you start at Bettmeralp and hike up past the Blausee to the low spot in the ridge on the west side of the Bettmerhorn. There is a large flat area there and a great view of the glacier.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Awesome, that helps a bunch! In fact, I had hoped to hike up around Blausee as it seems there's a decent view out over towards the Matterhorn from there too. Sounds like a great hike. Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Yes, on a clear day you will see the Matterhorn from there (and from many places around Bettmeralp, including our hotel room balcony).

My husband took a very funny photo up on the ridge, with the Matterhorn framed between two cows that were standing about 20 feet away from us, posing nicely.

It is a beautiful spot and well worth the hike.
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Check the weather shortly before, until June fresh snow can occur up there which makes hiking impossible.