Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airline strike in Italy June 19-20 - advice / experience?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2023, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read that there will be a nation wide airline strike in Italy on June 19 and 20. We leave from DC on a direct United flight on the afternoon of June 18 and arrive in Rome at 830 am in the morning on June 19th. We are taking only carryon baggage, and while I do not mind delays on arrival, what do you think the likelihood is that my flight may be cancelled entirely or rescheduled? I have seen that other people who have reservations on the 20th have received email regarding the strike from United, but so far we have had no communication - which I am hoping means that our flight will be okay.

Has anyone here had an INCOMING flight to Italy be disrupted or worse, cancelled due to strike? Finding this out four days before we fly is very worrisome, as rescheduling at this point to another day would be difficult, and there are no other direct flights available on the day before, the 17th, even if we could fly in earlier. Advice?
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 10:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by persephone88
I just read that there will be a nation wide airline strike in Italy on June 19 and 20. We leave from DC on a direct United flight on the afternoon of June 18 and arrive in Rome at 830 am in the morning on June 19th. We are taking only carryon baggage, and while I do not mind delays on arrival, what do you think the likelihood is that my flight may be cancelled entirely or rescheduled? I have seen that other people who have reservations on the 20th have received email regarding the strike from United, but so far we have had no communication - which I am hoping means that our flight will be okay.

Has anyone here had an INCOMING flight to Italy be disrupted or worse, cancelled due to strike? Finding this out four days before we fly is very worrisome, as rescheduling at this point to another day would be difficult, and there are no other direct flights available on the day before, the 17th, even if we could fly in earlier. Advice?
Advice, ring United
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euronews.com talks about baggage handlers strike on the 20th and a 4hr strike at Milan on the 18th. Neither should affect you.