Reload this Page >

Airline Seating Assignments

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Nancy

Question. My husband & I are both over 6 ft., with very long legs. I would like to get our seats assigned (NorthWest) prior to leaving. <BR> <BR>I was able to get our seating (the middle seats behind the bathroom wall in the center of the plane) assigned for the flight over but they won't do it for the flight home. They say that the seats are in the emergency exit & must be assigned at checkin. <BR> <BR>OK, I'll buy that, should I tell them that I have those same seats assigned for the trip over & see if they will go ahead & assign them for the return trip? Or should I just not mention that I have those seats reserved and play their game arriving early at checkin?

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Patrick

I've read your question twice and was having a little trouble figuring out what the problem is. I was tempted to just say, "of course, tell them you have them reserved going over and try for the return, what have you got to lose?" Or are you concerned that they might take away those seat assignments going over? I once was having trouble getting any two good seats together, and when I brought up this issue (it was on American), she finally said that she'd go ahead and book us the exit row, but it would be subject to approval at check-in. I suppose if we arrived in wheelchairs or something they'd boot us out, but it worked for us.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 12:40 PM
John

Nancy: <BR>NW knows your seating arrangements. Telling them you are booked in those seats over will not help your cause to get those same seats on the return leg. <BR>Actually, I'm a bit surprised they didn't pull those seats when you inquired. I'd keep quiet and go forward with your plan of early check in. <BR>John <BR>PS. Where are you going?

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 02:58 PM
zz-top

Seats in the emergency exit rows are often not assigned ahead of time as the airlines like to tell you they're under 'airport control' and due to the nature (emergency exit is there!) that they prefer to assign those seats at check-in when they can see that the occupants are "physically able to perform duties should the need arise". <BR>Yes, there is some truth to that. They won't allow young children to be seated in those rows for that reason. <BR> <BR>BUT a big reason for holding the emergency exit rows is they're considered 'prize' seats --- if you're a frequent flyer, and are using miles for a ticket you can reserve one of these seats ahead (all of a sudden the 'ability' issue seems to evaporate). <BR>You won't be able to play the 'got 'em goin' game w/airlines --- they usually don't give out those ER seats without knowing what's available. <BR> <BR>When you say you already have these seats on the outbound portion of your journey, are you sure that you're flying on the same type of equipment (coming/going) and that what you've been assigned may have extra room yet NOT be in the emergency exit aisle??? <BR> <BR>Finally I would suggest that you can pull up the plane configuration on their website to know exactly what your best options for legroom seating would be --- and although they may not assign the ER row ahead of time (or at least won't do it for 'average' customer) you can get them to tell you if the seats have already been assigned to someone else (only bother doing this a few days prior to your departure). THEN you'll know if it's worth your while to get to the airport extra early in order to request this seating during checkin. <BR> <BR>FYI --- a little trick when requesting seating for 2 people in a row with three seats across --- in a three seater configuration, ALWAYS book the aisle and the window seat, rather than asking to be directly next to your traveling companion. Because NO ONE ever asks for the 'middle' seat, they are the last seats to be assigned. So, if someone is assigned the middle seat then they will be thrilled to get out of it if you would like them to move & be seated next to your traveling companion. OR, if your luck holds, then no one will land in that middle seat & the two of you can "spread out". <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 03:08 PM
zz-top

- <BR>Going off topic, but while I'm thinking about the ways to 'negotiate' your best seating option, the two travellers in a 3-seat row if THE way to go if it's 2 adults with an infant. You could almost guarantee that if the parents are seated on the window & aisle (with 'carry on' baby on one of their laps) that anyone stuck in the middle seat would move heaven & earth to get out of that arrangement.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Meg

I guess we're all being told a different story. I was told those seats by the exit doors with extra leg room were held for people with children or the disabled. If there are disabled people there or ones with children, how would they be a help in case of an emergency? <BR> <BR>Tell them one of you is disabled and see if they'll give you those seats. You'll be happier and so will everyone who has to sit in front or back of you in cattle quarters.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 06:30 PM
Scott

Actually the person who posted this question is not quite right on her information. The center row of the plane is not the emergency row. She was given seats behind the "Bulkhead row"- not emergency row. <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 06:42 PM
zz-top

That's what I suspected--think Nancy means that she got bulkhead seats. And yes, Meg, THOSE seats are often held for folks with children or those with disability. <BR> <BR>Seats by the emergency exit doors--different animal. These rows do have extra space as folks would need to be able to get THRU to exit (if an emergency arose). However do note that sometimes the ER seats do not have the ability to recline. But since no one really likes anyone who reclines into their lap (see other post with ANNOYING passenger stories) then that's not much of an issue.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Nancy

Thanks for all your responses. This will be my second international flight so I am still new at all the ins & outs of air travel. Maybe that is my problem, I am asking the wrong question. <BR> <BR>I have confirmed the type airline we will be flying on (coming & going), a Northwest DC10-30. Here is the link to the seating chart. <BR>http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/seat...30/index.shtml <BR> <BR>I currently have seat assignments for row 22 C & D for the flight over. I would like the same row assignments coming back. <BR> <BR>Does anyone know if these are considered bulkhead or emergency exit seats? I would say row 22 is emergency & 10 is bulkhead. <BR> <BR>I was a bit concerned that if I called to arrange the return trip & brought attention to my assignment for the flight over, they would revoke them. <BR> <BR>I really appreciate everyones input.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 06:41 AM
kavey

These are considered bulkhead seats, as they are at the front of a block but in the central section. Looking at your posted seat plan they may be called something else as they dont actually have a galley infront of them so there isnt actually a wall infront of you, just lots of space behind the previous block for people to pass and cross over. Bulkhead seats are often assigned to parents with babies as they have fixtures for cots on them but your seats may not be as they havrnt got an actual bulkhead wall there. <BR> <BR>Emergency exit seats are always the ones at either side, by the exit and are not supposed to be assigned to anyone who isnt it enough to help open the door should the cabin crew be unable to and who can help others out of the exit. <BR> <BR>Kav

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Art

Hi Nancy, bulkhead seats do not always have more legroom, especially if the bulkhead is movable as it is on many flights today. Exit rows are not normally assigned until you get to the airport as they want to see you and determine if you are able to handle the door in an emergency. I have flown NW for many years for business and Intl travel. One of my tricks was to check in and try to reserve them for my return trip. This has often worked as they can now see you. Good luck as I am 6'4" and am misurable in the cattle car section. You also might check if you are really flying NW or the KLM partner. I would suggest that you book on the KLM if possible. <BR>Don't forget that in a buldhead row there is no place to stow you carryons in front of you as there are no seats there. <BR>Have a great trip. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Nancy

Art thanks for the tip about checking in and then trying to reserve the seats for our return trip, I think that is going to be easier than calling NW every other night! <BR> <BR>Unfortunately our scheduled airline is NW, I was hopeing for KLM, they supposedly have more room. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the info!!