Airfare to Spain

Feb 1st, 2004, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Airfare to Spain

Hello,

My wife and I are traveling to Spain mid April. Departing from Houston to Madrid. What would you speculate roundtrip air will cost? Not possible to visit before March 31.
Thanks for your input.

Turbokid
Feb 1st, 2004, 12:01 PM
Maira

From Houston to Madrid on mid-April if you get a fare in the neighborhood $550-650 you will be doing well (check USAirways out of Philly, Delta out of Atlanta, Iberia out of Miami or Continental out of Newark). By this time, the cheaper seats may be scarce. There is always the priceline route, or even the British Airways route to London on to Madrid (fares London- Madrid that time of the year are quite reasonable; approx $100-150/pp). For some reason, Madrid is an expensive European city to fly into, although it is one of the least expensive countries in Europe. Also, please be reminded that the wedding of the Spanish heir to the throne is on May 22nd and the city of Madrid will be bustling with preparations for the upcoming event. Have a great time with all your travels!!

Feb 1st, 2004, 04:32 PM

To pick up exceptional fares, a good trick is to get on the various airlines e-mail notification lists. For example, last fall British Airways ran an unheard of sale where it was possible to fly from any of their hubs to London for $100 each way. That's US dollars, not Pound Sterling! The special was to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the Wright Brother's first flight. And, the sale only lasted a couple days. It was a great price, plus, they were running that fare special all of 2004, of course, with certain days being $30 more. You had to pay the taxes on top of the fare; but I told a friend at work about the deal and she is going to London for three weeks May-June for two people at a total of just a wee bit over $700! Unbelievable!

Right now, I can tell you that Air France is having some daily internet specials. Today's deal is to Rome.
Here's part of what they sent me:
** One-Day Web Specials -- everyday for 10 days **

Dear e-communiqué member,

For the next 10 days, Air France will be sending you special web-only fares from our 11 US gateway cities to a destination in Europe.

Check your mailbox everyday during the promotion to discover and book the destination on sale.

Fréquence Plus members - book a ticket between February 1st and February 10th, 2004 and automatically
earn 5,000 bonus Miles for departure from the US and for travel between February 11th and April 4th, 2004.
Tickets can only be purchased on www.airfrance.com/us.
Enrollment and membership in the frequent flyer program is free so register online today!

Day one: Book on February 1st, 2004

Fly to Rome from:

Atlanta $409
Boston $336
Chicago $428
Cincinnati $418
Houston $485
Los Angeles $526
Miami $409
New York $382
Philadelphia $355
San Francisco $431
Washington, DC $352

Terms and conditions:
- This fare can only be booked online.
- Tickets must be purchased on February 1st, 2004.
- Fare is valid for Monday - Thursday departures February 11th - April 4th, 2004.
- Friday, Saturday or Sunday travel is $20 - $30 additional each way.
- A Saturday night stay is required; maximum stay may not exceed 30 days.
- Government-imposed fees and taxes of approximately $80 -$150 are additional.
- This fare is subject to limited availability, government approval and change or withdrawal without notice.
- Stopovers or changes before departure are not permitted.
- Travel must originate in the US for round-trip travel on Air France only.
- This fare is non-refundable.

Visit http://www.airfrance.com/us to discover and book more destinations on sale!
And, last week, BA had another deal... from their e-mail:
Europe has so much to offer, from vibrant, cosmopolitan cities to timeless towns and villages. Fly there for less with fares from British Airways to over 20 European destinations starting at just $99* (one-way based on round-trip purchase from JFK to London).

Sample fares include:

New York-London $99*
Boston-Barcelona $176*
Washington-Madrid $196*
San Francisco-Athens $205*
Chicago-Rome $233*

In addition, if you're going to London, take advantage of an excellent rate of just $25** per person per night on 2-, 3- and 4-star hotels for travel through September 30, 2004***. As a British Airways Executive Club member, you will earn 2,000 bonus BA Miles for booking any British Airways Holidays® land product or package (sold in conjunction with British Airways flights) in addition to any BA Miles earned on your British Airways flights.

But do hurry, because this fantastic offer ends midnight February 5, 2004. Book now and ensure you get more out of your vacation. Visit http://www.britishairways.com/execclubemail, where you can save $10 off your round-trip airfare when you log in and book online.
If you watch the airlines flight schedules you can sometimes fly openjaw (into one city and out of another for the same price as a round-trip ticket into one of the cities. We are doing this with Delta for our trip to Spain. We fly into Barcelona and out of Madrid. This is because Delta has a stopover for the Barcelona flight in Madrid. We paid just over $500 each from OKC. My folks are doing an open jaw on British Air with Paris and London. BA flights seem to always to a plane change in London, so if you'd like to do London and another European city BA is a good choice.

But, I've rambled on. Rick Steve's books provide a general guideline to good ticket prices to trips to Europe and his books are updated annually.

Feb 2nd, 2004, 10:41 AM

turbokid,
Our airfare from PHL to Madrid (non stop US Air) in mid-March cost slightly over $550, so I don't think you'll find a lower fare for April.
However, if you're willing to go through London you might snag a "special deal/steal", but with a tiny window of opportunity for purchase.
I echo what Maira says about the cheap airfare from London (Gatwick or Luton) to Madrid on EasyJet, and what Sharon tells you about signing up for email notifications.
I receive Travelocity's, Expedia's and Cheap Fares' fare tracker emails. I signed up to have them track the fares btwn PHL-Madrid, PHL-Paris, PHL-London, and they email me when fares go up or down by $50.
Good luck!
Feb 20th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Mirabel,
I just booked airfare on British Airways from Boston to Malaga for $883 per person from June 25 to July 8. I held off booking until it dropped below $900. I'm hoping I didn't "jump the gun" -- but everything I was getting was averaging between $1100 to $1300.
What do you think?
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Booked an incredible deal from Washington, DC (DCA) to Barcelona using Orbitz this morning.

Depart Tuesday, June 29
DCA-BCN, Delta through Atlanta (one stop)
Return Monday, July 12
BCN-DCA, Delta through Atlanta (one stop)

$408 including taxes per person($816 each)!!! I couldn't believe it and was skeptical until I received my email confirmation with assigned ticket numbers. It's for a wedding in Barcelona this summer, so I had my family check into the deal from SFO to BCN. They got their tickets for around $450 including taxes. Unbelievable. I hope the fares are still available for other folks to jump on.
Feb 26th, 2004, 01:24 PM

I meant "$408 including taxes per person ($816 for two)!!!"