Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airfare to Europe in summer- how far in advance for cheapest flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flights to Europe are quite expensive, at least compared to several years ago. Most are running $1600-1700 (flying from Detroit), June 2014. For those of you who have flown in the past few years, how far ahead would you say fares drop? And what were typical sale prices, if you recall? (Maybe we- family of 5- should just stay home, and buy a new Rolls instead !)
I know the airlines pop up sale prices at times, and just saw the thread about cheap fares in March, but certainly with summer being peak season I expect no such deal ($664 RT)...
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 09:23 PM

There will be lower fares published as time draws closer but June is too far out right now thats why prices are above $1500. I saw fares today for October 2013 in the $800 range (connecting through DTW). Granted thats not the peak season but early this year I saw them in that price range for June 13'. Fares then went up to the $1500 range and never came back down.

I will be booking Las Vegas to Zurich for July 2014 (top of the high season) and expect to start watching closely in January. I'll be happy to get them for $1200, ecstatic with $850 and will pay $1500 if necessary but no more.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 03:24 AM

Right now you can buy a Detroit-Paris ticket for around $1200, if you want to travel in early May. Jump ahead to early June and the price at the moment is $300 higher. That late-May break point is about the same as this summer just ended, although maybe $100-$200 higher across the board.

Will lower prices come available sometime? Maybe. Will higher prices? Maybe. As has been pointed out over and over in these forums, even the airlines can't be sure. My bet, but it is a gamble, is to keep a keen watch from mid-December through mid-January. Sign up for fare alerts from your preferred airlines and such intermediaries as kayak.com. If there is a momentary drop, buy at once and then never look back. Judging from past experience, you can't expect many big breaks flying trans-Atlantic to Europe out of Detroit, where Delta-KLM/Air France dominate the traffic.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 04:12 AM

We are playing the waiting game as well for mid-June 2014. I have set fare alerts and will be ready if they drop below my threshold.

My dad already purchased his ticket from Las Vegas actually. He used FF miles for one way and booked the other way on a blind sight where you don't know the airline until you have paid. Turned out to be AA so he was happy.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 05:34 AM

It's very unlikely that you will find a ticket to Europe in June for under $1400, and $1600 was a pretty typical price this year for those who waited. If you see any ticket in that range, buy it regardless of when it is. You can certainly use web sites like airfarewatchdog.com to find out typical seasonal pricing and to post alerts. It's also typically just as cheap to wait until early Spring to book the ticket, though if there is a sale, you should jump on it.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Think like the airlines!
They check bookings at 6 months out and again at 90 days. That is when they adjust prices based on supply and demand. I seldom buy more than 90 days out, but always good to check often.