Airfare MPLS > Scotland

Search

Airfare MPLS > Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfare MPLS > Scotland

We're getting ready to book our airfare to Scotland. At this point, we're finding fares running about $1,200 for Late June.

Does this seems typical for the time of year? Do there tend to be any dips in the Spring or is it better to book sooner than later?
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM

We live in MSP & have traveled fairly frequently to various places in Europe, but never to Scotland. 1st question. Are your dates at all flexible, or do you absolutely need to have certain dates? To me, if you have any flexibility at all, this seems high to me. 2nd question. Can you find a more affordable fare by going to another airport and then getting a cheap flight to Scotland? Have you looked at Icelandair? If they haven't sold all their seats to tour agencies, which they frequently have at peak summer times, their prices can be realy good. And, they are my favorite airline from MSP because the flight is so nicely broken up.

I am asking these questions beause we have never paid more than $700 per ticket for a flight to Europe from MSP, including at peak times like summer. But, we usually have at least a few days flex, so we can play around with dates to get better prices. Plus, I am the queen of searching for low fares and truly devote hours and hours to seeking out good fares. It has paid off for us, but not everyone wants to spend the time.

We were going to Lithuania in late June last summer, and the fares I was seeing to Lithuania were in the range that you're talking about. And, typically Lithuania is LOTS more expensive than the British Isles. We eventually did the 2 flight sequence. We found tickets to Dusseldorf for $635 a head, and then we took a flight from there to Lithuania.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 02:51 PM
twk

$1,200 might be a little high for a round trip. We're flying open jaw from IAH to LGW, then EDI to IAH (via EWR) in June for just over $1,000. I think a straight round-trip ticket would have been slightly cheaper. Of course, we booked in September.

Fares really tend to go up in June. Of course, there are also some routes to Scotland that only run during tourist season, so I'm not sure that you save as much going off-peak to Scotland as you might to other destinations like London or Paris.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM

I haven't booked Scotland in June (I'm too cheap) but that seems steep. Have you checked various pricers (ie... orbitz, travelocity) AND the individual airlines? My last two trips to Europe Icelandair was the cheapest quote on Orbitz. My last check they didn't appear at all, I don't know why. On this same most recent check for a trip to Paris from MSP Continental was the lowest fare.

I don't think that helps, but I hope you find an acceptable fare soon. Soon being the operative word.

Cheers!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Since posting this inquiry, I have searched every discount site I can find and several airlines. We too would be flying from MSP (we're actually in Duluth).

The best I can find is Iceland Air (which I have flown to Paris before and love). Tickets are $1, 087 for open jaw. MSP>GLA then CDG>MSP. I'll do another search tomorrow, but will likely lock in the Iceland Air - these flights are almost completely booked now.