Reload this Page >

Air France carry-on rules

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 06:00 AM
Jason Woodward

I will be flying Air France from Atlanta to Paris to Prague soon. I checked their web page about carry-on baggage. It said that only 1 carry-on is allowed. <BR> <BR>How strictly is this enforced ? I was planning to carry-on a small bag and a backpack. <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 06:08 AM
martha python

It is very strictly enforced--at least it was when I flew this spring. <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 06:10 AM
elvira

We flew AirFrance 3 years ago, and they were pretty fierce about the number of carry-ons; of course, the SIZE wasn't such a big issue. I'd plan on one carry on to avoid the hassle (put your briefcase inside the carry-on bag, for example).

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 06:26 AM
martha python

Actually, they were pretty fierce about size this spring, too. Polite, but fierce.

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 07:04 AM
elvira

Ah, so they've caught onto the armoire-as-carry-on ruse, the swine. <BR> <BR>And their politeness is the best part of their being fierce! Totally disconcerting.... <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 08:01 AM
pam

Jason, suggest you make sure which airline is operating the flight. We were on Air France, Houston to Paris & connecting to Rome, in May & June. Both intercontinental flights were AF flights but Continental equipment. On the way over I had a purse/small satchel, plus my backpack (briefcase size). On the way back I had the backpack and a small duffel, about 10x10x20, which I was calling my purse. I had no problem. But again, we were on Continental planes with Continental crews. The Paris-Rome & return segments were Air France equipment + crews, and I had no problem on those either. Hope this helps.

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 08:25 AM
elaine

I don't mean to be redundant nor alarmist, but you might also want to ask if there is a weight restriction on carryons. I had an experience on BA last year with a small carryon that was refused because it was over their 13 pound limit, which I had not been pre-advised about. <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 10:16 AM
Bob Brown

Flight AF 45 to CDG from ATL is operated by Delta. Has anyone actually asked Air France what the rules are?? E. g. I have been told 1 carryon that cannot exceed 45 inches (or the metric approximate) total dimensions, with 22 inches being the maximum dimension. <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 10:44 AM
Bob Brown

I just spoke with Air France. All of what I said in the previous post is correct. In addition to 1 carryon, a purse or handbag for women is ok. I was also told that my camera bag was acceptable as a handbag. <BR> <BR>There may well be some variation in what a gate attendant or a flight attendant will actually allow to pass. <BR> <BR>I recently flew America West from Atlanta to Phoenix. I was amazed at the size of the pieces of luggage that got on the plane. The overheads were stuffed so full that I had to place my bag under the seat. No room in the bin. <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 10:57 AM
Christina

I just flew Air France twice last month, and it was strictly enforced and has been for several years now, I think. I think the question is how big this thing is you are calling a "bag." If it's a small grocery or paper bag that holds a book or snack or something, that's no problem. If your "bag" is a large duffel bag that is really luggage, you probably won't be allowed it as a carryon. They don't overly hassle you, so I think if it's something not that noticeable (size of a lady's purse or a briefcase) you're probably ok.If it's larger, you're prob. not. As I recall, they do have weight limitations, also, but they aren't as low as the 13 lb. BA limit, and aren't usually a problem. Good luck, as they lost my luggage (on a nonstop flight, no less) and there was a line of about 2 dozen people at the AF baggage room at CDG, some of them Continental/AF people who'd been trying to find their luggage for 2 days. Well, only good thing is they found mine after two hours, at least.

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 11:06 AM
Jason Woodward

Thanks for all the info. My flights are on Air France - not AF operated by Delta. <BR> <BR>Looks like I'll only take 1 carry-on.

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 11:07 PM
joelle

My experience with Air France on the subject says that it depends... I generally get on the plane with a handbad, a carry-on bag, camera + video camera... and I am not flying business. If the flight is pretty full, they may argue a bit but this has not happened too much to me in the last twenty years. I tend to take along the type of items that you don't want or can't check in. <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 1999, 05:54 AM
Bob Brown

I called AF again and the reservation associate who answered told me that the maximum weight for carryon luggage was 10 kilos. About 22 pounds. I am not sure if someone would balk at 23 pounds, but that is the policy. The sum of the 3 dimensions of the piece must be 45 inches or less, according to the policy. <BR>I would imagine that minor exceptions are negotiated on the spot if the attendant raises an objection. But I doubt if a military sized duffle bag would be permitted. <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 1999, 02:58 PM
Donna

It does "depend". And, you may be required to check anything excessive. More and more check-in's have gizmos now - if your bag won't fit through, it must be checked.