Air France / carry-on luggage limits

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be traveling on AF, for the first time, on May 15th. I'm planning on taking a carry-on within the size limit, but what if it's heavier than the 26 lb. weight limit that Air France allows? How strict are these guys about this? I'm planning to take a good size tote bag in case I go over, so that I can stuff some items in it if I have to. But, their website says one carry-on per passenger, so does this mean I can't take a tote bag or a purse along with my bag?
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 05:42 PM
AR

Can't speak for the whole of France, but everytime I have used Air France from Montpellier, they have positioned someone to inspect carry-ons and were quite strict. They place a sticker on the item marked "cabine". Only items with this sticker on is allowed as hand luggage. Mind you, I've always then gone into duty free and filled a carrier bag full of goodies and have never been stopped from carrying these on.
They were nowhere near as strict in Paris, so perhaps it's only the Montpellier staff being pedantic.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 09:07 AM

I've found Air France to be pretty strict about weight limits from my US departure airport, less so returning from CDG. Same with Lufthansa, British Airways, and most other non-US carriers, many of which have much lower weight limits.

For this reason, I've given up on the concept of being able to carry on my 22" rollaboard, even though it's an allowable size. I check that bag, and carry on a soft nylon tote with my toiletries, camera, documents (and a change of clothes, just in case.)
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 09:28 AM

I was able to bring 1 regular 21' carry-and a small purse (just slightly bigger than a wallet) on recent AF flights. They weighted it at the check-in counter when I checked-in for the flight. It weighted 18 pounds and they put the "Cabine" tag on it. One the return (on British Airways) I checked this bag in because it weighted more than 20 pounds and BA's limit in coach plus is 20 pounds.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Air France was very strict with us last Fall with our carry-ons. They were within the size and weight guidelines but the cabin was full so they "cabined" them. They did not count my wife's purse as a bag...It can actually work out pretty well if you don't need to get at anything in the checked bag as they then leave it for you just off the plane when you land...it beats lugging it on the plane yourself.