Reload this Page >

Air Fare What is the deal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:22 AM
glenn

I have looked for several months for airfare from Atlanta to Prage. First looking in Sept-Oct, it is so high then looked at November and still over $700.00. I flew fom Atl to Amsterdam nonstop last year for $400.00. NO GOOD FARE TO BE FOUND?

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Tom

If you had taken that $400 last summer and shorted _ _ _ _ _ (fill in almost any name on the stock market), you would have $700 now and then some!<BR><BR>What's the deal with you not foreseeing that?<BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Leslie

glenn, you won't find discounted fares until the end of July or August. Just as an FYI, September and October are still considered high season in Prague. Also, since 911, the airlines have reduced their schedules, therefore filling up the planes, so there are fewer bargains to be found.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Sherry

Hi Leslie. I wanted to ask you a question about researching airfare to Prague.<BR>We met a couple in Italy just recently that live in Prague. They made it sound so inviting, that we are seriously considering a trip to Eastern Europe, and also visiting them.<BR>Would you please give me some pointers about a staring point for air travel? We would be coming from Pittsburgh. I realize this originating location limits us with airlines, so we would consider starting out in Philadelphia or the D,C area or even New York. <BR>Also, do you think it would be feasible to maybe start here to let us say Munich and go by train from there.<BR>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<BR>You can email me directly, if you prefer. Thanks.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:33 AM
Leslie

Sherry, you can do a search on Orbitz or one of the other travel search engines (eg. Travelocity, Expedia) or even the airlines (eg. Czech Air from New York and Newark) and put in your variables (departure point/arrival point) and see what you can come up with for prices. If you can fly on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, you possibly can reduce your costs by another $50. Last year, I flew to Prague in November, and my ticket cost was $389 including tax, but that was from Boston. But, November is definitely low season in Prague.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Sherry

Thanks Leslie. It just seems from here, that I get stuck with the same old airlines and the choices aren't very good.<BR>Also, if I do a search out of let us say New York, they have some airlines I am really not familiar with and is it a good deal or not. Could be held together with rubber bands. This came to mind when I was looking up flights from New York to Budapest for my brother recently. The search engine came up with Malev airlines. It was a good price and non stop, but who knows about them.<BR>But I will try all gates that are reasonable for us to consider. And that price gives me a good idea.<BR>Thanks. <BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Janice

Who knows about them? Me!<BR>Malev is fine - no better or worse than Alitalia (well, probably better than Alitalia), Iberia, Aer Lingus or USAirways.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Mark

I just booked to Istanbul and Paris...I actually booked through my friend who is a travel agent after watching the internet offerings continue to skyrocket. She tells me there is no end in sight to these high fares and that they are still filling up every flight from the States, with the reduced number of flights. It's apparently a sellers market these days.