Search

Air connections

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air connections

We are flying to Athens and about three hour later to Crete. When we arrive in Athens, do we have to go through customs etc. and then re-enter for the domestic flight to Crete. I had to do that in Brazil.

I would actually like to exit in Athens because you can buy ferry tickets at the exit and in the arrival area I think there is a Germanos where I want to buy a SIM card. Is that an easy exit and entry?
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 09:51 AM

I cannot answer your question, milliebest, but I would like to suggest if you repost your question with a title that mentions Athens and Crete you will get more answers. As it is members of the Forum have no idea what air connections you are talking about, and those with the information you need will not open the post.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 11:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
And a tag "Greece".
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 12:42 PM

Crete is part of Greece so you will certainly go through immigration in Athens. You would do anyway as the first place you arrive in the Schengen zone.
Can't answer about customs, which is nothing like US customs anyway, since you just go through the green channel, no form filling or questions.
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 01:26 PM

If you're coming from No. America on a non-stop flight into Athens (ATH) you will go through Passport Control and Customs in Athens. If you're coming in having passed through another EU/Schengen airport in Europe you will already have done so. Customs at ATH is practically non-existent anyway. Once you're processed you can use your Crete boarding pass to enter the secure departures area to go to the Germanos Store on the way to your domestic terminal. Ferry tickets can be bought in the Arrivals Hall near the baggage carousels from Amphitrion Holidays between exit/entry doors 2&3. Cash only, no CCs. They're open 24/7.