Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

AHHHHH!!! Going to France in A WEEK! I'm 17! What do I need to know!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 03:35 PM
Becky

AHHHH! I'm so excited and so nervous!!! Mostly excited! A little scared. Anyways, my question is, How do I avoid being an "Ugly American" and what should I do to make my trip a smooth and memorable one? I took French and finished French 3. What if I forget a word for something? What if people make fun of my accent? Thanks, Becky

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 03:50 PM
cherie

#1: The word for NO in French is the same as in English. #2: Know how to convert your currency and take along a small calculator for when you might be a littl tired. #3: Have a credit card for emergencies or travelers checks and references for emergencies. #4: Photocopy your passport and leave a copy at home and pack an extra copy in luggage. #5: Have your reservations in writing with confirmation numbers so there will be few surprises. #6: Watch for traffic...french drive fast and blink their lights at intersections and honk if you're in their way...pedestrians do not have right of way. So be careful when admiring sights even at night. #7: Keep any Rx and eyeglasses Rx with you in case you need them. #8: Pack less than you need...its a good excuse for simple shopping. If you monitor this forum, you'll pack lots of black clothes for easy cleaning... #9: Remember to have fun at all times and write us here. <BR> <BR>-Cher

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 05:49 PM
vanessa

Try not to compare everything there with how things are in the U.S.! The food will be different and the customs are different, but they are not necessarily better or worse. Have an open mind, try new things, and you should have a great time. <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 05:58 PM
Maggie

Becky, <BR> Great advice from Cherie and Vanessa-- I would add that your accent probably will get laughed at but take it with humor, smile and keep trying. Always greet people when you walk into shop. Observe how the people you meet react in a situation---I think the French are more formal and polite then Americans tend to be ( I am assuming you are American, sorry if that's wrong) But mostly, be yourself, take in everything and have a wonderful time!!!

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 06:32 PM
steve

We just returned from France and found the people to be extremely nice. My French was probably a lot worse than yours(it's been a looooong time since I had French 3) and I was able to get by in most situations when no one spoke English. My first trip to France was when I was a little younger than you and the memories of that trip are still among the most pleasant of my life. If you're worried about being the "ugly American" you won't be it's those who don't worry about it that are. Do lots of walking so you'll soak up as much atmosphere as you can. Take one of the boat tours on the Seine in the evening-it's beautiful! Have a great time and please put a report on the forum when you return.

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 07:42 PM
specs

We just returned from a week in Paris. I asked our daughter, age 16, what she would advise. She said she was sorry she brought shorts and felt like a dork everytime she wore them. The girls and women in Paris were all wearing skirts or dresses. Paris can be hot and humid in July, bring sleeveless tops. Also, you will do lots of walking, leave the cute shoes behind and go for the comfy ones! <BR>You may also need change to use the ladies room. The amount will be posted and it varies. You give the money to the attendant before you go in. It is also a good idea to keep some kleenex with you as toilet paper is not always available. <BR>I went to France for the first time when I was 19. I spoke no French and my girlfriend had one year of high school French. We had a wonderful time and found people to be helpful. We didn't have much trouble making ourselves understood, although I do remember my girlfriend thinking she was talking about the rain and she was actually saying the sky was crying.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 04:30 AM
Valerie

Becky, <BR> <BR> French men love the American accent when you are speaking their language. At least that's what they keep telling me when I go! By all means, speak the language or at least try. Remember to be polite and have an open mind, like the other posters said, this will prevent you from being an "ugly american". Afterall, you are a guest in their country and should conform to the way they do things. Lucky You!!!! Have Fun!!!

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 04:48 AM
Ann

My son just returned from a semester in France. He told me that the French looked disdainfully at American and British people who were loud and boisterous in restaurants, on buses, etc. Speaking softly while in public places is probably a good idea.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 04:48 AM
Donna

Hi, Becky: You may have some situations where you are wanting to complain about something. To avoid demanding and whining . . . rather turn your complaint into a "concern" and address it in a questioning manner . . . such as . . . smile beautifully, then say "thank you very much for this beautiful meal that you have placed in front of me. It looks absolutely lovely, however, is it possible that someone has confused my order with another? For I have ordered the xxxxxxxxxxx and here in front of me is the yyyyyyyyyyyyyy." smile, smile, and the waiter's reply will be absolutely polite, etc. ALL of this instead of "hey! you've got my order wrong." <BR> <BR>If you dress beautifully, I fully believe you will act beautifully, and you will be treated beautifully: hair in place, shirt tucked in, peaceful countenance . . . la la la. <BR> <BR>It always works for me, in the States and in Europe, especially if I do not know the language fully. <BR> <BR>In the finest restaurants, the wait staff will always be attentive. Once at Moulin de Mougins in the South of France, my napkin fell off my lap. Before I had a chance to lean down and get it, the most gorgeous waiter had flown across the room, lifted it from the floor, and gently placed a CLEAN on in my lap . . . <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time! Watch your money. Call home if you get homesick--you can duck into the finer hotels and use their pay phones and you'll have privacy and be off the street . . . learn how to make the call BEFORE you go over there. AND you can duck into the finer hotels, walk straight to the back to the Ladies' room if you have to go . . . instead of making a mad dash back to your room. Can't do that at the Ritz, however, but the Meurice and the Regina are fine. <BR> <BR>Carry your water bottle with you, as well as a few aspirin . . . would hate to be on an outing, get a headache, and not have any aspirin . . . <BR> <BR>Souvenirs for your friends: buy those little Eiffel Towers . . . they are cheaper on the side streets and they are darling. Buy one of each size for yourself and put them on your shelf in your dorm. Not expensive. <BR> <BR>Best wishes! You are the envy of many friends I am sure. <BR> <BR>Donna

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 05:22 AM
martha python

Oh, congratulations! Enjoy! <BR>This is more of a general life rule, but it's especially useful when travelling: 1) The best way to end up looking stupid is to be afraid to ask a question you think will make you look stupid. Confess your ignorance (in your perfectly adequate French)--you'll be amazed how helpful people will be. <BR>2) Send a lot of postcards back to your family so they'll know you're grateful.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 06:52 AM
Brian in Atlanta

In a cafe, drinks are cheaper at the bar than at a table. Look out for $8 iced teas!

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 07:08 AM
jennifer

Ma Chere Becky - I am SOOO envious! I travel to France, especially paris, as much as possible. My french is actually pretty good (5 years of conversational french, and still going), but The natives appreciate more that you TRY than that you are actually accurate in what you say. Don't sweat the accent at all. <BR> If I were you, because of many recent strikes, I'd call a travel agency in the US that specializes in french travel (many have 1-800 numbers) and ask if they know whether there are any specific museums, etc, that may be closed to the public for one reason or another. That will help you decide what to do and see. If many are open, buy a Carte Musee et Monuments pass (obtained at any local museum there). This will save you loads of money in entrance fees and there is a special entrance for card holders that gets you in past ALL the lines of people waiting. <BR> Don't exchange too much money before you go - get just enough to cover a few things like food and light reading material if you need it in the airports. The exchange rate over here sucks. You can get more money exchanged at a better rate once you are there. I found that many places take major credit cards and the exchange rate you get when using one is quite good, so feel free to charge a lot and save cash for emergencies. <BR> Do not drive in Paris. You can get everywhere you need to by walking or taking the train. Cabs are not that expensive. You can even buy ahead of time in any metro station a billet or carnet of 10 tickets, keeping you from waiting in line at the more popular stations. One note on the metro - especially if you are on one late at night - you put the unused ticket in the machine upon entry and HOLD ON TO IT because you use the same ticket to exit. If it is incorrectly stamped, the machine won't take it and if the gendarmerie (police) stop you (as they did me - but I told them I was an avocate and they let me pass) and check tickets, as they occasionally do late at night, then they will try to fine you 150 francs or so for a "bad" ticket. be careful about this. <BR> Keep the number of the US embassy handy and the number and location for the American Hospital in Paris. It is an excellent hospital in case of need for treatment - I ended up having to take my husband in on the last trip due to severe dehydration and they were fast, fun, very helpful, respectful, polite, and inexpensive (when was the last time you only spent $103.00 USD when walking into an emergency room??) You may want to contact your current healthcare provider before you go and ask if they have a recommended doctor in Paris under their plan - many do. Keep that name handy, too. <BR>So much for all the practical advice. Wander to your heart's content. The french are absolutely the most beautiful people you'll ever meet. They ARE friendly to Americans. Enjoy yourself. The food is excellent, too. Contact me directly if there is any other info you may need. Bon Voyage!

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 09:38 AM
elvira

Everyone has given you excellent advice (should we write a book?). Might I add: McDonald's has great bathrooms. You will eat food that's different; if you REALLY can't take another "a la qu'est-ce-que-c'est" meal, find a MickeyD's or a Quick and get yourself burger and fries and a Coke. It restoreth the soul. Buy yourself French magazines; great pictures, good way to practice/keep up with your French. Ditto kid's books. The French are very formal, but waiters/hotel staff warm up to Americans quickly because, as a Paris cab driver said, "Americans are like big children!" Imagine visiting your Great Aunt Mathilda and act accordingly! Notice the French are "small"...that is, they keep everything very close to themselves. When you sit down in a restaurant, bags under your chair or in your lap (very little room between tables, so if you sprawl, you get in someone's way...not the same space we're used to in the U.S.) Go ahead and gawk; dozens of trips to Paris, and I still stare at Notre Dame at sunrise like a big dufus. Try the different kinds of bottled water; it's cheap (about $.50 for 1.5 liters) and much better for you than soda (see previous poster's dehydrated husband story to know how important water is!). In restaurants, you can order tap water (no charge) or bottled water (it costs). Badoit is slightly fizzy and great with a meal. There's another one we call "Eau de Bleu" because it comes in a cobalt blue bottle...very fizzy and great for a rocky stomach. Eat pain du chocolat. Try the do-it-yourself lemonade at cafes. Buy a painting or drawing from a street artist (you can find some for $10 or so, especially near Notre Dame and the bouquinistes). Visit the Museum Shop at the Louvre and buy prints of the artworks. Shop at TATI for inexpensive clothes and accessories. The department stores have very cool hair doo-dads. Go into a pharmacy and buy French makeup or shampoo or toothpaste. Save the bottle/box when empty and use it for a paperweight or refill it. Buy postcards for yourself. Buy t-shirts from street vendors; they're about $6 each, mediocre quality, but only wear them for special occasions and they'll last for a while. <BR>Watch out for mimes. Visit the Deportation Memorial at the east end of the Ile de la Cite, even if no one else does. Be secretly proud of yourself when you figure out how to use the Metro. Buy a scarf and try to wear it like the French girls do. You won't succeed totally (it's a genetic trait the French never pass on to outsiders) but it'll look chic anyway. Have a great time, and swear on the heads of your unborn children that you'll return one day.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 10:25 AM
pam

Elvira, that was beautiful!

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 11:34 AM
cherie

Maybe its because its Bastille Day, but Elvira...that post left me speechless. Now I want to go back to visit friends in Levallios..... <BR> <BR>If you get a chance, go out to Giverny and see Monet's home and gardens. Ditto for Versailles. Don't be put off by uppity sales ladies at the Dept. Stores when you pronounce Lancome Mascara without the proper French intonations....Remember, they accused Poirot of being a Froggy all the time....accents are difficult for everyone and the Parisians are genetically predisposed to make everyone else seem inferior, but they are really nice people once you get beyond that. And Gucci will give you a little booklet on how to tie your scarves like the Parisian babes....Have fun!

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 12:07 PM
elvira

Pam, Cherie: can you tell I'm getting homesick? That naughty Becky had to go and remind me...I won't be there for two more months. I miss the smell of old stone in gothic churches; the sun on the gold dome of les invalides; cafe au lait from a bowl so you can eat your croissant over it and all the little bits fall in; ham that's like prosciutto; baguette crust that cuts your gums; the sound of a metro train as it comes out of the tunnel; emerging from a metro station to find...I am in Paris; the shape of the buses; dining at 10:00pm without the wait staff glaring at me; the smell of bread in the morning; long white aprons on waiters; money that's different colors and sizes; <BR>fireworks from the Trocadero.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 04:56 AM
Mary Ann

If you listen and enjoy just half of what has been suggested above, you will have a fantastic trip. One additional thought, if you want to send postcards to friends/family, make labels before you leave. It is much easier to slap a label on a postcard with a few words than locate or memorize addresses. Sharing the trip is such great fun!

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 05:10 AM
Valerie

Elvira, that was great writing. It transported me back to Paris again! My favorite city. You ought to start an Elvira's Paris Page column... we would all enjoy it, all of us Francophiles here!

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 08:01 AM
cherie

I miss the baguetts and that demi I would eat on the way back to the apartment with our baguette. Yum. The sound of traffic.....the city has such a beat. This young lady has the world by the tail....Have a great trip.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 08:47 AM
megan

Dang, and i thought i was impressed with London!! now i want to go to france..and i never had a desire before this forum. Can someone (Elvira maybe) write a little paragraph about London/or England so that I can long for that too?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -